What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who would’ve thought pvl having good links with news ltd would result In such favourable coverage for rugby league on foxsports America ?
Good to see him giving them such a sweet deal that cost the game hundreds of millions is paying off somehow lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who missed the opportunity? The sideline reporter, Laura Okmin?
Woods talked of collision twice, Campbell talked of bashing, both of those terms are about physicality. In the 30secs they got to talk
The reporter talked of scrums for about 15 secs. The main two comperes, Mark Sanchez and Kevin Kugler, did basic promos for the game for over a minute.
Your comment slant towards negativity on something that was very positive for the NRL sure lays you up as a miserable bugger.
You say you're an NFL fan, well you should know how much that promo would have cost if it was a paid advert.
The construction the section, its main messaging and the players chosen to go. Should have had a montage of big hits and some massive players there, interview about how on earth players get up after hots like that etc, Yanks love that sht.

wain

Juniors
@yakstorm would love one of your ticket sales updates 24 or 48 hrs after this promo...see if it moved the needle at all? I would think localised promo will do more for ticket sales, but the fox promo will do wonders for viewer awareness for tv.

yakstorm

First Grade
@yakstorm would love one of your ticket sales updates 24 or 48 hrs after this promo...see if it moved the needle at all? I would think localised promo will do more for ticket sales, but the fox promo will do wonders for viewer awareness for tv.
I'll give it 48 hours and do a count. Encouraging that what they're announcing seems to line up reasonably well with what we're seeing on Ticketmaster so far.

Andrew Webster

Las Vegas: “The Black Hole” is the Las Vegas Raiders’ infamous group of hardcore fans who occupy the pocket near the tunnel and the end zone.
Since 1995, they have been the most notorious sub-section of the league’s most notorious fanbase, dressing up in menacing clobber and destroying visiting players and fans with venomous vitriol.
Spencer Leniu at Allegiant Stadium.

Spencer Leniu at Allegiant Stadium.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
But, on Sunday afternoon, rugby league melted their hearts. They had nothing but love for this strange game from a strange land and, in particular, Roosters weapon Spencer Leniu.
“Hey uce!” yelled one fan as Leniu walked by before the Raiders’ match against Minnesota Vikings. “I used to play rugby!” yelled another as Leniu posed for selfies and shook hands.

The NRL has rolled into Las Vegas this week to promote the season-opening double-header at Allegiant Stadium here in March.
Before, during and after the Raiders match, the NRL was given the type of publicity it cannot buy and will most certainly need if it’s to live the American Dream.

10df403a6cc3094add38d23615ef62d626d5f795.jpg

The double-header was publicised regularly on the big screen throughout the match while Leniu, Manly’s Aaron Woods, Souths’ Campbell Graham and the Broncos’ Billy Walters did interviews with US sports network Fox Sports before the match and at half-time.
Earlier, they had posed for a photo outside the stadium before kick-off, prompting one Raiders fan to poke his nose in and innocently ask, “Um, who are you people?”

When Leniu walked in front of the faithful, though, the Raiders faithful loved him - even if they weren’t entirely sure who he was.
“I think because I’m Polynesian and they were Polynesian they recognised me,” Leniu, who is of Samoan heritage and born in Auckland, explained.
Rugby league’s incursion into the US market is, to some, a pipedream. Yet ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo deserve credit for thinking so big.
Rugby league has toyed with playing games in Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco, but it amounted to nothing and was consigned to the too-hard basket.
The current NRL administration wants to dip its toe in the US wagering and broadcast markets and is taking a long-term view.

There has been speculation the whole exercise could cost the game $10 million – something V’landys and Abdo scoff at. “We’ll probably break even in the first year,” V’landys says.
Wisely, Abdo’s team has partnered with the Raiders, NFL, and NBA in putting the event together.
Before the match, he gave Raiders president Sandra Douglass Morgan a Kangaroos jumper and she gave him a Raiders jersey with his name on the back. He’ll need a few more squats if he’s to realise his lifelong dream of becoming a linebacker.

“The Raiders have been fantastic to work with,” Abdo said. “They haven’t seen us as the opposition at all – they’ve wanted to build a relationship. We have a long-term strategy around this fixture.”

Ticket sales are tracking well. Nearly 20,000 have been sold but Douglass Morgan has assured Abdo that Vegas is a city of walk-up starters to events. The NRL has privately set itself a target of 40,000 in a stadium that has a capacity of 65,000.
Standing on the field before the match, a couple of things struck me.
Concerns about fitting a rugby league configuration on an NFL ground aren’t as serious as some have suggested. The playing surface will be four metres narrower than it normally is, but the sidelines won’t be hard up against the fence line. Wingers won’t be sliding into walls chasing kicks into the corners.
There are fears about serious injuries because the match is being played on a foreign surface but there shouldn’t be: Allegiant Stadium’s field is all grass, not synthetic nor even partly synthetic.
“That’s a win,” Walters said, before adding cheekily: “I wouldn’t say it’s as good as Suncorp.”

Allegiant Stadium will host Super Bowl on February 11, giving the NRL three weeks for the surface to recover and painted logos to grow out.
“And if they haven’t, we’ll paint it green,” Abdo said.
NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
The roof — and, more specifically, the speakers hanging from the roof — feel much lower than when you are watching on TV or in the stands.
Minnesota punter Ryan Wright launched several towering spiral kicks during the warm-up, coming within metres of the speakers. It made you wonder what would happen if Matt Burton or Nathan Cleary played at this venue with their hellacious bombs that nudge the stratosphere.

“Adam Reynolds’ little legs couldn’t get the ball that high,” Walters said. “But Cleary and Burton could. That’s probably why the NRL hasn’t brought them over – they’ll get scouted [by NRL teams] straight away.”
Whether this wishful foray into the US market will be a success is the great unknown. The US is sport’s mecca. Walk into a sports bar here and people are glued to NBA, NFL, UFC, college sport, Major League Soccer — there doesn’t appear to be much room for anything else, even if the NRL seeks a toenail in the market.
But there wasn’t much love for the Raiders after they lost 3-0 in what keen NFL judges were calling “the worst game ever played”.
Wait until they see the greatest game of all, baby.
The author travelled to Las Vegas courtesy of the NRL.

jpw2511

Juniors

Andrew Webster

Las Vegas: “The Black Hole” is the Las Vegas Raiders’ infamous group of hardcore fans who occupy the pocket near the tunnel and the end zone.
Since 1995, they have been the most notorious sub-section of the league’s most notorious fanbase, dressing up in menacing clobber and destroying visiting players and fans with venomous vitriol.

But, on Sunday afternoon, rugby league melted their hearts. They had nothing but love for this strange game from a strange land and, in particular, Roosters weapon Spencer Leniu.
“Hey uce!” yelled one fan as Leniu walked by before the Raiders’ match against Minnesota Vikings. “I used to play rugby!” yelled another as Leniu posed for selfies and shook hands.

The NRL has rolled into Las Vegas this week to promote the season-opening double-header at Allegiant Stadium here in March.
Before, during and after the Raiders match, the NRL was given the type of publicity it cannot buy and will most certainly need if it’s to live the American Dream.

The double-header was publicised regularly on the big screen throughout the match while Leniu, Manly’s Aaron Woods, Souths’ Campbell Graham and the Broncos’ Billy Walters did interviews with US sports network Fox Sports before the match and at half-time.
Earlier, they had posed for a photo outside the stadium before kick-off, prompting one Raiders fan to poke his nose in and innocently ask, “Um, who are you people?”

When Leniu walked in front of the faithful, though, the Raiders faithful loved him - even if they weren’t entirely sure who he was.
“I think because I’m Polynesian and they were Polynesian they recognised me,” Leniu, who is of Samoan heritage and born in Auckland, explained.
Rugby league’s incursion into the US market is, to some, a pipedream. Yet ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo deserve credit for thinking so big.
Rugby league has toyed with playing games in Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco, but it amounted to nothing and was consigned to the too-hard basket.
The current NRL administration wants to dip its toe in the US wagering and broadcast markets and is taking a long-term view.

There has been speculation the whole exercise could cost the game $10 million – something V’landys and Abdo scoff at. “We’ll probably break even in the first year,” V’landys says.
Wisely, Abdo’s team has partnered with the Raiders, NFL, and NBA in putting the event together.
Before the match, he gave Raiders president Sandra Douglass Morgan a Kangaroos jumper and she gave him a Raiders jersey with his name on the back. He’ll need a few more squats if he’s to realise his lifelong dream of becoming a linebacker.

“The Raiders have been fantastic to work with,” Abdo said. “They haven’t seen us as the opposition at all – they’ve wanted to build a relationship. We have a long-term strategy around this fixture.”

Ticket sales are tracking well. Nearly 20,000 have been sold but Douglass Morgan has assured Abdo that Vegas is a city of walk-up starters to events. The NRL has privately set itself a target of 40,000 in a stadium that has a capacity of 65,000.
Concerns about fitting a rugby league configuration on an NFL ground aren’t as serious as some have suggested. The playing surface will be four metres narrower than it normally is, but the sidelines won’t be hard up against the fence line. Wingers won’t be sliding into walls chasing kicks into the corners.
There are fears about serious injuries because the match is being played on a foreign surface but there shouldn’t be: Allegiant Stadium’s field is all grass, not synthetic nor even partly synthetic.
“That’s a win,” Walters said, before adding cheekily: “I wouldn’t say it’s as good as Suncorp.”

Allegiant Stadium will host Super Bowl on February 11, giving the NRL three weeks for the surface to recover and painted logos to grow out.

The roof — and, more specifically, the speakers hanging from the roof — feel much lower than when you are watching on TV or in the stands.
Minnesota punter Ryan Wright launched several towering spiral kicks during the warm-up, coming within metres of the speakers. It made you wonder what would happen if Matt Burton or Nathan Cleary played at this venue with their hellacious bombs that nudge the stratosphere.

“Adam Reynolds’ little legs couldn’t get the ball that high,” Walters said. “But Cleary and Burton could. That’s probably why the NRL hasn’t brought them over – they’ll get scouted [by NRL teams] straight away.”
Whether this wishful foray into the US market will be a success is the great unknown. The US is sport’s mecca. Walk into a sports bar here and people are glued to NBA, NFL, UFC, college sport, Major League Soccer — there doesn’t appear to be much room for anything else, even if the NRL seeks a toenail in the market.
But there wasn’t much love for the Raiders after they lost 3-0 in what keen NFL judges were calling “the worst game ever played”.
So a paid shill article?

Wb1234

Referee

Andrew Webster

40k crowd would be a fair effort

so it looks like it was nfl and nba as the sports the nrl partnered up with

Canard

Immortal
Does anyone think the players should have slipped on a jersey or some branding before the TV spot?

Maybe it was a last minute thing and they didn't have time to prepare.

Canard

Immortal
When the roles are reversed here, we get x celebrity wearing the team hosting them jersey
True, but they're not usually there to promote anything.

And the brand awareness of the US and European sports is huge and known worldwide, ours is completely unknown

I also thought the highlights were shit. Like I said maybe it was rushed.

Iamback

Coach
True, but they're not usually there to promote anything.

And the brand awareness of the US and European sports is huge and known worldwide, ours is completely unknown

I also thought the highlights were shit. Like I said maybe it was rushed.

That hopefully comes later in the week

Gobsmacked

Bench
Who missed the opportunity? The sideline reporter, Laura Okmin?
Woods talked of collision twice, Campbell talked of bashing, both of those terms are about physicality. In the 30secs they got to talk
The reporter talked of scrums for about 15 secs. The main two comperes, Mark Sanchez and Kevin Kugler, did basic promos for the game for over a minute.
Your comment slant towards negativity on something that was very positive for the NRL sure lays you up as a miserable bugger.
You say you're an NFL fan, well you should know how much that promo would have cost if it was a paid advert.
Following this on x and there's so much negativity towards it...
What I think we're seeing is that when it was originally proposed people bagging it got caught into Following through on their original assessments.. that don't want to look immediately like fools... they need time to walk back thier original opinion..
Then there's just haters.

In reality everything is well ahead of schedule to be an overwhelming success, the envy of every other code in Australia.