What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Wb1234

Referee

This will add at least 5k more English fans just for the wire. If Wigan are the other club it could be more like 15k. The owner of Warrington is also a successful promoter

the exposure is good for super league too
midday Vegas 9 pm in England

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
So the poms play at 1pm Vegas time, then everyone hangs around for four hours until the NRL starts at 6.30pm?

Brian potter

Bench

This will add at least 5k more English fans just for the wire. If Wigan are the other club it could be more like 15k. The owner of Warrington is also a successful promoter

the exposure is good for super league too
midday Vegas 9 pm in England
Are you off your head mate??

warrington v Wigan doesn’t even get 15k at the halliwell jones stadium or DW stadium.

Nuke

Staff member
It's kinda funny how nearly everyone was unsure of the whole Vegas experiment. Some death-riding it. Now everyone wants on board to be a part of it.

As for ESL being part of the double-header: I dunno about that. It's the NRL doing all the hard yards over several years. All the planning, research, ect, and yes, while they are Rugby League too, the ESL isn't the NRL. The appeal of the event is two NRL games, four teams, going there and spreading the RL word, with the aim of attracting gambling money for the NRL.

If the NRL really wanted to have an ESL game as part of the festivities, perhaps do it as a triple-header. NRL games first and third with ESL game sandwiched in the middle. That probably won't work from a live-broadcast-back-to-Australia standpoint though.

And I'm not sure if they did do it, whether they could do it every year. If the point is to spread the opportunity around to all the clubs, then okay, for the first year or two the top ESL clubs would provide a decent game. But then the following year comes along and they send perennial plodders London vs Huddersfield or some such similar matchup.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
It's kinda funny how nearly everyone was unsure of the whole Vegas experiment. Some death-riding it. Now everyone wants on board to be a part of it.

As for ESL being part of the double-header: I dunno about that. It's the NRL doing all the hard yards over several years. All the planning, research, ect, and yes, while they are Rugby League too, the ESL isn't the NRL. The appeal of the event is two NRL games, four teams, going there and spreading the RL word, with the aim of attracting gambling money for the NRL.

If the NRL really wanted to have an ESL game as part of the festivities, perhaps do it as a triple-header. NRL games first and third with ESL game sandwiched in the middle. That probably won't work from a live-broadcast-back-to-Australia standpoint though.

And I'm not sure if they did do it, whether they could do it every year. If the point is to spread the opportunity around to all the clubs, then okay, for the first year or two the top ESL clubs would provide a decent game. But then the following year comes along and they send perennial plodders London vs Huddersfield or some such similar matchup.
The rule differences would make that confusing.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Might be an NRL triple header with an NRL purchase of Superleague by March next year

Nuke

Staff member
The rule differences would make that confusing.
I didn't even think of that aspect. Great point there, Matt_CBY.

Another totally different one that just came to me now is the sponsors and on-field logos.

Logistically, I really don't think ESL should be joining in with NRL's Vegas venture.

Maybe a NY or LA ESL single or double header, leaving the NRL to keep doing the Vegas double-header.