What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Wb1234

Referee
The guy that wrote that article is dope it says the money is for nrl sides no mention of super league sides getting anything

“A document has been sent to these clubs, as well as four others, suggesting the home side (who would miss out on a game at their own stadium) would receive 350,000 Australian dollars (around £180,000) while the away side would receive 50,000 Australian dollars (around £26,000).”

Nuke

Staff member
It doesn't make sense to have SL involved unless they are NRL owned. The branding and messaging will get mixed up... exactly what we don't want.
As has been pointed out to me when I made a similar stance a few months ago, one of the biggest reasons not to include ESL games in the Vegas double-headers or triple-headers is the different rules between NRL and ESL confusing the crap outta anyone trying to take them all in. Interested locals aren't going to know what's going on.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
As has been pointed out to me when I made a similar stance a few months ago, one of the biggest reasons not to include ESL games in the Vegas double-headers or triple-headers is the different rules between NRL and ESL confusing the crap outta anyone trying to take them all in. Interested locals aren't going to know what's going on.
I haven't fully got my thoughts around this yet, but the words the admin are using around Vegas is American eyeballs, American gambling dollars, American players etc. The actions around it though (and maybe this is an unintended positive side-effect) seem to be shifting to creating a second magic round type event for fans to go to get as many Aussies, Poms and Kiwis travelling to Vegas as possible, therefore making the event valuable and any American league, TV deal, dollars, sponsorships or fans gained are the cream on the top.

In essence, Vegas may have pivoted from being about the yanks, to being about an event for existing fans and I'm ok with that provided it continues to be a success in terms of PR (probably the greatest season launch of all time) and travelling fans.

shadowformz

Juniors
I haven't fully got my thoughts around this yet, but the words the admin are using around Vegas is American eyeballs, American gambling dollars, American players etc. The actions around it though (and maybe this is an unintended positive side-effect) seem to be shifting to creating a second magic round type event for fans to go to get as many Aussies, Poms and Kiwis travelling to Vegas as possible, therefore making the event valuable and any American league, TV deal, dollars, sponsorships or fans gained are the cream on the top.

In essence, Vegas may have pivoted from being about the yanks, to being about an event for existing fans and I'm ok with that provided it continues to be a success in terms of PR (probably the greatest season launch of all time) and travelling fans.
Definitely, we went to round zero in Vegas this year, and we're planning to go back the year after next.........that stadium is so freaking awesome......the acoustics are amazing, and seriously and seemed like Vegas was taken over by Aussies, poms and Kiwis....... it'll become a Rugby League pilgrimage 😁🙌👍

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Definitely, we went to round zero in Vegas this year, and we're planning to go back the year after next.........that stadium is so freaking awesome......the acoustics are amazing, and seriously and seemed like Vegas was taken over by Aussies, poms and Kiwis....... it'll become a Rugby League pilgrimage 😁🙌👍
Awesome! Im hoping to go next year, although I may wait to 26 to see if the Phins play

If you want to showcase league you don't play a game from a b grade competition.

Super league isn't much better than NSW Cup (or whatever it's called these days.).
Yeh I’d keep them out of it for the time being. If Vegas grows like we hope it does and the media attention that comes with it, then maybe bring them in. Could create a bit of a buz for the game in England

ash the bash

Juniors
Was one of the best trips I ever did. In fact if the Wahs are confirmed looks like I will be going again, some Kiwi clients are keen to go.

Canard

Immortal

That's going to be law of diminished returns under that model though.

Next year, will be a big test, you can already see the buzz has died down media wise, year 3 and 4 will be the real test.

Next year, will be a big test, you can already see the buzz has died down media wise, year 3 and 4 will be the real test.
We’re nine months out from a return. There was no buzz this time last year, probably because no one seriously believed it was going to take place. Agree that years 3 and 4 will be the big test.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Yeah, we'll see which way it goes.

I'm not sure we can see if the buzz has died down yet. We only have a sample size of one event to go by. We'll be able to see what the response is like come March next year. But yes, 3 and 4 will be the test.

To take Magic Round as a comparison, it certainly hasn't diminished over the years, in fact it probably has been getting bigger each year. Yes, I get that Vegas is tougher to get to for a weekend than Brisbane, but it's certainly not an impossible ask either. With teams rotating and bringing in the poms and Kiwis, different sets of fans can plan their trip to Vegas each year. Also, although not huge, there were local ticket sales in the U.S. that you'd imagine will continue to build each year.

I guess as you point out, we'll only know after 4 years if this is going to be a permanent fixture or not.

Latest posts