What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The LJC\Stallion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

First Grade
Unless I'm forgetting they also got AFL, Cricket, Soccer, and bunch of other sports for Foxsports back then, was it only a RU conspiracy or do you think there was a grand conspiracy by all the other popular sports to attack RL!!!

Not a union conspiracy you pelican. Moreover a REALITY! A proven failed sport (union)for tv suddenly gets a heads up and its longtime rival code (that union seeks a demise for) is carved up?, So rugby league’s unchallenged and growing status/position in Australia is significantly weakened by a dubious break up paid for by the RL disliking Rupert Murdoch? Looks dodgy to me. And quite clearly the end result has not been good for rugby league. It's only that rugbyleague is such a great pro duct that it has endured/limped through this divisive plot.And we still have union being propagated and promoted to the hilt by Fox Sports!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Unless I'm forgetting they also got AFL, Cricket, Soccer, and bunch of other sports for Foxsports back then, was it only a RU conspiracy or do you think there was a grand conspiracy by all the other popular sports to attack RL!!!

Those other sports you mention were and still are good tv ratings achievers. Rugby union has been a poor tv ratings performer for decades. So suddenly it gets taken up and rugby league gets divided? In the fullness of time all morning this to occur at the same time is suspicious at least to a discerning eye. Obviously not your eyes but others whom can see through what has transpired.

Valheru

Coach
Not a union conspiracy you pelican. Moreover a REALITY! A proven failed sport (union)for tv suddenly gets a heads up and its longtime rival code (that union seeks a demise for) is carved up?, So rugby league’s unchallenged and growing status/position in Australia is significantly weakened by a dubious break up paid for by the RL disliking Rupert Murdoch? Looks dodgy to me. And quite clearly the end result has not been good for rugby league. It's only that rugbyleague is such a great product that it has endured/limped through this divisive plot.And we still have union being propagated and promoted to the hilt by Fox Sports!

PS:I see harsh reality is still not given a go on this website. (pending on the moderator)However I appreciate some latitude as given to others.

Do you honestly believe there is a clandestine cabal whose ultimate goal is to completely eradicate rugby league?

Rugby was 'picked up' by fox sports in 1996 because that is the year the code went professional and the Super 12 started, not to mention the fact that fox sports was only created in 1995.

As for the modern day, Fox sports is a dedicated sports network offering no less than 7 x 24/7 channels, of course they are going to promote any sport they think will get even fair ratings. AFL, Rugby League and Cricket by far have the most coverage and are the most promoted as can be seen by the fact they have their own channels. They also provide coverage for and promote Rugby Union, Soccer, Motor Racing, Hockey, Squash, Tennis, Surfing, Basketball, Netball and any other number of niche sports that they have broadcast rights for. To suggest their current promotion of union is an attempt to sabotage rugby league is completely ridiculous.

Stallion

First Grade
Do you honestly believe there is a clandestine cabal whose ultimate goal is to completely eradicate rugby league?

Rugby was 'picked up' by fox sports in 1996 because that is the year the code went professional and the Super 12 started, not to mention the fact that fox sports was only created in 1995.

As for the modern day, Fox sports is a dedicated sports network offering no less than 7 x 24/7 channels, of course they are going to promote any sport they think will get even fair ratings. AFL, Rugby League and Cricket by far have the most coverage and are the most promoted as can be seen by the fact they have their own channels. They also provide coverage for and promote Rugby Union, Soccer, Motor Racing, Hockey, Squash, Tennis, Surfing, Basketball, Netball and any other number of niche sports that they have broadcast rights for. To suggest their current promotion of union is an attempt to sabotage rugby league is completely ridiculous.

It's not clandestine. It's pervasive. Are you denying the repression that has occured against rugby league ? And I'm suggesting that exposure afforded to a code that doesn't achieve the ratings of rugby league is not commensurate with what it deserves, especially within Australia.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
It's not clandestine. It's pervasive. Are you denying the repression that has occured against rugby league ? And I'm suggesting that exposure afforded to a code that doesn't achieve the ratings of rugby league is not commensurate with what it deserves, especially within Australia.

Football doesn’t achieve great ratings in australia, do you think Optus are out to get RL and that’s why they paid hundreds of millions for the EPL rights?

Valheru

Coach

So you are saying that the conspiracy against rugby league is out in the open despite the fact that the very people you claim are trying to bring the code down are the ones funding it via billion dollar TV rights deals?

Union gets exactly what it deserves in terms of exposure. It gets nowhere near the exposure of the 3 sports that have their own channels and instead gets similar coverage to other tier 2 Australian sports like soccer.

Stallion

First Grade
So you are saying that the conspiracy against rugby league is out in the open despite the fact that the very people you claim are trying to bring the code down are the ones funding it via billion dollar TV rights deals?

Union gets exactly what it deserves in terms of exposure. It gets nowhere near the exposure of the 3 sports that have their own channels and instead gets similar coverage to other tier 2 Australian sports like soccer.

No I'm not. I'll put it to you this way; Do you agree that rugby union has been repressing rugby league in various ways and means over many decades!?If so when a company spends alot money to weaken a football code due to not liking the code and seeing an opportune moment in time to further weaken the code,do you think that can happen? If so what I have suggested is plausible. I know you have ridiculed my take on the situation however I think I'm on the money. I have yet to be convinced otherwise.And as time goes on I'm seeing more evidence confirming this awful but real scenario. I can elaborate on many other repression examples toward rugby league if you like? Some will and should shock you just like my assessment on the true intent of the "Superleague"war.

Valheru

Coach
No I'm not. I'll put it to you this way; Do you agree that rugby union has been repressing rugby league in various ways and means over many decades!?If so when a company spends alot money to weaken a football code due to not liking the code and seeing an opportune moment in time to further weaken the code,do you think that can happen? If so what I have suggested is plausible. I know you have ridiculed my take on the situation however I think I'm on the money. I have yet to be convinced otherwise.And as time goes on I'm seeing more evidence confirming this awful but real scenario. I can elaborate on many other repression examples toward rugby league if you like? Some will and should shock you just like my assessment on the true intent of the "Superleague"war.

No, I don't agree

Regardless, none of that has anything to do with your bizarre crusade against the coverage Rugby Union receives on foxsports.

Stallion

First Grade
No, I don't agree

Regardless, none of that has anything to do with your bizarre crusade against the coverage Rugby Union receives on foxsports.

I'd suggest you watch the fox channels and note the amount of coverage union gets. And the prominent referencing of the union code on Fox500 channel. It's more than it deserves.

Stallion

First Grade
No, I don't agree

Therefore we dissagree. I've read books and articles showing various examples of repression from rugby union manouverings against rugby league. They are examples from countries like South Africa, New Zealand, France, Zimbabwe, Russia, etc. The list is getting bigger as time goes on. Not to.mention union repeatedly lobbying to not have rugby league recognised as an international sport which gives the excuse for governments to not fund the code. With union manouvering against rugby league in so many ways and examples, your 'bizarre' description/reference of my observation is not so bizzare!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

No, I wasn't calling you a strawman, I was referring to your argument as a strawman one.

Certainly appeared that way. I would suggest that the thread referring to "Conspiracy theory and outright lies. ...etc" created by whomever is unfair yet unknown people on this site continue with the thread misnomer which is both misleading, incorrect and rude. So with that the unscrupulous people or person is still getting their way on this website. Perhaps some decency might be afforded and it be called: "Repression of rugby league information and discussion. " ?That would be an improvement to this site.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Certainly appeared that way. I would suggest that the thread referring to "Conspiracy theory and outright lies. ...etc" created by whomever is unfair yet unknown people on this site continue with the thread misnomer which is both misleading, incorrect and rude. So with that the unscrupulous people or person is still getting their way on this website. Perhaps some decency might be afforded and it be called: "Repression of rugby league information and discussion. " ?That would be an improvement to this site.
You answered the definition of strawman with... a strawman argument? :joy:

Never change, Stallion.

Stallion

First Grade
They didn't initially bring it up, the question was asked in one of their news conferences with the off field incidents and the Cronulla Flanno rumours.
A league has not had to chop teams or relocate teams in this instance.They got their fingers burnt with Nth Queensland and the GC.

The thing that is embarrassing for the NRL is the alleged atrocities over the past few weeks.The code has commitments to clubs until end 2022

The A League TV ratings are abysmal ,they are also relying on private monies largesse, even building stadiums.The A league has to put in chicken feed money wise and the A league licences from the 2 new clubs bring in about $33m.
Is Perth going to provide $15m for a NRL licence to add to theThe NRL coffers?

At times your constant moaning and riding the death knell of Sydney clubs, is downright embarrassing.

I further note Cash Converters a backer of a new Perth NRL side, according to the SMH 13/12/18 has further lending issues.20 loans to 1 client in a year.And they have been hit with a new claim.
They had problems in the past, and promised to clean their act.Embarrassing yup.

Interesting you should bring up the alleged atrocities theme. This was also mentioned in the decline of French rugby union as the French rugby league(mid 1930s) was taking over prior to the growing rugby league being 'outlawed ' as a sport courtesy of French rugby union lobbyist in a NAZI appointed 'user friendly' conservative government in 1941.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Interesting you should bring up the alleged atrocities theme. This was also mentioned in the decline of French rugby union as the French rugby league(mid 1930s) was taking over prior to the growing rugby league being 'outlawed ' as a sport courtesy of French rugby union lobbyist in a NAZI appointed 'user friendly' conservative government in 1941.

Know the French history a disgrace.
The point is today the clowns who carry on off the field, deter sponsors ,current and future ones.And are used as an excuse for some parents to steer their kids away from playing, despite the fact off field incidents have occurred in other sports, yet don't get the front page publicity.
I have zero sympathy for anyone found guilty.

Stallion

First Grade
Know the French history a disgrace.
The point is today the clowns who carry on off the field, deter sponsors ,current and future ones.And are used as an excuse for some parents to steer their kids away from playing, despite the fact off field incidents have occurred in other sports, yet don't get the front page publicity.
I have zero sympathy for anyone found guilty.

Same. On a related concern : You point out the other codes are not being embarrassed anywhere near as much as the NRL. Perhaps a not so 'friendly'media has something to do with this!? Looking at the luke warm enthusiasm for rugby league product(no FTA coverage of World nines/ no insistence for a Kangaroos v LIONS test in 2019 etc) given it is consistently a high rating tv product doesn't look right? Seems like a bit of a 'hatchet' job is being done on rugby league? The media is fine to push Origin as its reach is limited on a worldwide scale. However when it comes to the internationals (despite being proven high tv ratings performers):the media give it a wide birth!? Looks like a containment of the rugby league code is taking place and not a celebration/promotion of what is a magnificent spectacle and sport throughout its product genres. (SOO,INTERNATIONAL &NRL etc)

Stallion

First Grade
The continued bigoted approach by people running this website is concerning. Not only is it unfair it's stifling and hiding proactive discourse on important topics. Shameful work by those whom are doing this.

Te Kaha

First Grade
The continued bigoted approach by people running this website is concerning. Not only is it unfair it's stifling and hiding proactive discourse on important topics. Shameful work by those whom are doing this.

No dumbarse.

Your post had nothing to do with the comparison between A-League and NRL expansion in Australia.

Get it through your thick head. KEEP TO THE TOPIC and you wont get your posts moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.