What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

souths_reborn

Juniors
the mums angle is bullshit.

league is a game that only the very few are even physically capable of playing. Those that are lucky enough to be built for it will be drawn to it. We aren’t robbing the NRL of a future star when the overprotective mum pulls little Johnny with the gluten intolerance out of the sport.

we already have the stupid game that Mums love. It’s called soccer. Played by millions in this country but gets outrated by our schoolboy competition.
It may be bullshit but it is one of the reasons that Peter V'landys gave for this new policy. As I said before, I don't think the rugby league community has been give a proper explanation on the reasons behind the increased use of the sin bin and send offs; the whole initiative was poorly thought out and rushed. The NRL, especially Peter V'landys, does not know the direction that it wants to take nor does it have a clear idea of what the game should look like. This is manifested through the vacillating reasoning of V'landys on why he made this decision.

seanoff

Juniors
I think there has been a lot of on the fly decision making. But those decisions are 50/50 at best. Often you need to look at the consequences and try and project what unintended consequences there might be.

And the unintended consequences of this sin bin crackdown is games becoming instantly uncompetitive. If you unfortunately lose a guy when someone slides into his chest and then a tired defender hangs an arm out and grazes a blokes chin. Then your playing 11 on 13. Turn the game off. Its over.

And blokes laying down or putting themselves in dangerous spots. Back into tackle,, adjust neck position so tackler is then through no fault of his own in a crusher position. Lay down, hold neck. Get penalty, get other bloke 10 mins. Jump up totally uninjured, play on. Neck “injuries that lead to a report or sin bin should be mandatory 20 min HIA, not run off, run back on and get a free interchange. Also if you if guy gets binned, mandatory 20 min HIA.

They have got to stop people winning oscars.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
Hetherington two tackles that slipped up high and neither was a sin bin.

The crackdown is finally over.

Thank god.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yep 1 bloke playing a different sport maybe killed himself. Sound the alarm.

state of origin ratings have been in free fall since the QLD dominance ended. Last year’s series was f**king woefully rated - down millions on its peak popularity. I see no reason why that trend is going to be changed in 2021.

rugby used to be massively popular in this country. People loved the super 8s and super 10s back in the day. Now look at it. Don’t think a sport can’t destroy itself through arrogant mismanagement

OK, so you're telling me that ratings trend is to do with the new laws of the game? With the mismanagement? Or is it lifestyle factors? Because you're saying league is down, rugby is down, cricket is sure as shit down, what's everyone doing now?

Perth Red

Post Whore
OK, so you're telling me that ratings trend is to do with the new laws of the game? With the mismanagement? Or is it lifestyle factors? Because you're saying league is down, rugby is down, cricket is sure as shit down, what's everyone doing now?

most audiences are 90% neutrals. Neutrals don’t like watching blow outs. Nor does anyone like to watch games turned into a lottery by how many players might lose out in the sinbin roulette wheel. We shouldn’t be surprised audiences are down with how the game has been this season.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
most audiences are 90% neutrals. Neutrals don’t like watching blow outs. Nor does anyone like to watch games turned into a lottery by how many players might lose out in the sinbin roulette wheel. We shouldn’t be surprised audiences are down with how the game has been this season.

Sorry hold on, 90% of viewers are neutrals who will go to something else if given the opportunity? Is that what you're saying? So what are they doing...reading?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry hold on, 90% of viewers are neutrals who will go to something else if given the opportunity? Is that what you're saying? So what are they doing...reading?

the million and one other things you can be doing other that watching nrl on tv! Me I’ve been watching Netflix and been in the garage more. I’m down to around three games a week from my usual eight,

Perth Red

Post Whore
Parra 9 just hit souths player flush in head with shoulder. On report lol. Nrl’s lost its bottle already. :)

taste2taste

Juniors
I'm not sure the number is as high as 90% neutrals :D but yes, neutrals do make up the majority of viewers per game.
In any sport anywhere in the world you'll loose the neutrals as soon as the game becomes obvious who'll win ( aka blow outs ) In the USA they'll switch to another game to hold the audience, we can't do that because games aren't played at the same time.

The NRL is in a real pickle. They've made a better product with the 6 again but loosing viewers with uncompetitive games, should they slow the game down so the games are closer ? CH 9 was loosing viewers when the game was hit up, wrestle, kick, repeat. ( wasn't it CH 9 who demanded the NRL make changes so the games are more exciting?? )

Anyways, it looks like some sense has come into the refing over the weekend, penalties for head highs not sin bins.

In other news the biggest hack in sports journalism, Danny Wielder is reporting that some 'high profile players' are going to get Vlandys thrown out ! They don't like the new crackdown or the speed of the game. Only 0.1% of Danny's 'exclusives' are accurate, so we'll see what happens.

Sorry, Long rambling post, standing in line, how long does it take them to make a freaking coffee !!

Saxon

Bench
What most fans want is consistency.
What we are getting is complete random shit. I can't, the commentators can't and I doubt anyone else can tell the difference between what will and won't be charged.
Teddy makes an innocuous hit on a falling player and gets f**k all. Two weeks earlier an even more innocuous tackle on a falling Teddy gets a sin bin and suspension. (Not picking on Tedesco, it's just the most obvious example)
Plenty of incidents this week that were punished, and plenty that looked similar were let go.

It's not the crackdown pissing me off, it's the total inconsistency.

Valheru

Coach
What most fans want is consistency.
What we are getting is complete random shit. I can't, the commentators can't and I doubt anyone else can tell the difference between what will and won't be charged.
Teddy makes an innocuous hit on a falling player and gets f**k all. Two weeks earlier an even more innocuous tackle on a falling Teddy gets a sin bin and suspension. (Not picking on Tedesco, it's just the most obvious example)
Plenty of incidents this week that were punished, and plenty that looked similar were let go.

It's not the crackdown pissing me off, it's the total inconsistency.

Burr wasn't suspended for his hit on teddy, he played the following week and was suspended for another incident. He shouldn't have been binned though and looks like they have applied some common sense this round.

souths_reborn

Juniors
The NRL is in a real pickle. They've made a better product with the 6 again but loosing viewers with uncompetitive games, should they slow the game down so the games are closer ? CH 9 was loosing viewers when the game was hit up, wrestle, kick, repeat. ( wasn't it CH 9 who demanded the NRL make changes so the games are more exciting?? )

Anyways, it looks like some sense has come into the refing over the weekend, penalties for head highs not sin bins.

In other news the biggest hack in sports journalism, Danny Wielder is reporting that some 'high profile players' are going to get Vlandys thrown out ! They don't like the new crackdown or the speed of the game. Only 0.1% of Danny's 'exclusives' are accurate, so we'll see what happens.

Sorry, Long rambling post, standing in line, how long does it take them to make a freaking coffee !!
You are right. As part of the tv rights deal, both Nine and Fox Sports are able to influence the game in order for the NRL to general maximum revenue from the contract. They are pretty much the only advocates in the game for golden point as well because apparently their ratings show that there is a "spike" in viewing when a game is drawn at the end of normal time.

With regard to the the common sense coming into refereeing, this is exactly what happened with the ruck crackdown situation a few years back. Without coming out and formally admitting it, the NRL instructed the referees to progressively back off with blowing penalties until the game regressed back to what it originally was. I think the same thing is going to happen with high tackles. Remember, Peter V'landys is very arrogant and egotistical so there is no way that he is going to come out and admit that he is wrong. He is also does not want to send the message that players can go back to being careless and reckless with tackling because there has been some increased diligence.

Where did you find out that high profile players are going to get V'landys thrown out? That would be absolutely fantastic! Do you know if there is anything that us fans can do to help them out?

mave

Coach
Looks like the crackdown is back on again for the Tits / Sharks after being cancelled for the Penrith/Dogs game.

We are drowning in so much consistency, Greenburg would be proud.