What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

some11

Referee
This is getting ridiculous now.

Thursday and Friday were reffed completely different to games last night and today.

interesting read...

Dunno how the players can genuinely push for him to be ousted but suggest that “leaking this” through the media route may be the real tactic here - rather than genuinely plotting a coup, Hoping Vlandys takes note and changes his rambunctious ways.

I can see where they are coming from. I reckon many of them must feel like a circus act, made to perform under the whip of a ringmaster.

souths_reborn

Juniors
interesting read...

Dunno how the players can genuinely push for him to be ousted but suggest that “leaking this” through the media route may be the real tactic here - rather than genuinely plotting a coup, Hoping Vlandys takes note and changes his rambunctious ways.

I can see where they are coming from. I reckon many of them must feel like a circus act, made to perform under the whip of a ringmaster.
I heard Paul Kent going on one of his ill-informed rants on Triple M where he condemned the players' in trying to oust V'landys. What V'landys' supporters need to realize is that players are arguably the most important stakeholder in the game because they are the ones who are ultimately delivering the product. Players having to change their tackling technique is a big thing and something which is not corrected over night - a sentiment that V'landys cannot empathise with because he never played the game!

The fact that V'landys feels that he does not need to consult is absolutely abhorrent on so many levels it is not funny. In the article posted, V'landys uses the implausible analogy of pedestrian being hit by a car and stopping it from happening instead of consulting first. Once again he has proved that he simply does not think before speaking because if he used his brain he would have realized that pedestrian crossings were not just implemented spontaneously; numerous stakeholders and subject matter experts were consulted before the initiative was enacted and ratified formally through legislation. In saying that, the bigger issue here is the fact that one man has the sole power to enact such drastic changes. I believe that this needs to change; noone should be able to have that much power in the game!

The other thing I have a massive problem is the fact that everyone seems to be waxing lyrical about how V'landys "saved the game." In reality, what did he actually do and how much of it was due to his own initiative. My point is that the concept of restarting the game was not a hard one. In my view, it is no different to what any other business has had to go through to re-open. Yes rugby league is a bigger business but by that same token, V'landys more than likely has had resources around him to assist with the logistics. Finally, it is not as if the game was on its death knell as some are making out; the game was suspended due to a global pandemic, not due to a lack of interest and that is something we should not lose site of.

aqua_duck

Coach
Is the crackdown over? I've just seen Tevita Funa jump, hit a player in the air that didn't have the ball flush in the melon and no sin bin. This crackdown will never work because the refs we have in the bunker are clearly incompetent as Trent Robinson rightly pointed out

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Is the crackdown over? I've just seen Tevita Funa jump, hit a player in the air that didn't have the ball flush in the melon and no sin bin. This crackdown will never work because the refs we have in the bunker are clearly incompetent as Trent Robinson rightly pointed out

it depends on the colour of the teams jersey.

Saxon

Bench
Between Sutton and Scummings they are making a mockery of the excuse of "protecting player welfare".

mave

Coach
Well the Knights have just proven that it can be done, for 1 half at least.

No set restarts conceded.
No penalties conceded.
No high shots conceded.

Impressive stuff.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Well the Knights have just proven that it can be done, for 1 half at least.

No set restarts conceded.
No penalties conceded.
No high shots conceded.

Impressive stuff.

The no-call on Fitzgibbon decapitation of Turbo was gross.

mave

Coach
Knights have re-written history here.

1 penalty in the 80th minute for a high shot
1 set restart all game.

They are the new benchmark for 2021.

bileduct

Coach
This game is just f**king stupid now.

Too many rules changes too soon and a ill-conceived crackdown on high tackles where the outcome after high contact is a lottery.

Whatever this is now, it's not the same game anymore.

eagles4eva

First Grade
This game is just f**king stupid now.

Too many rules changes too soon and a ill-conceived crackdown on high tackles where the outcome after high contact is a lottery.

Whatever this is now, it's not the same game anymore.
Unfortunately, its not the player that decide the outcome of the result..Get touched high stay down, pressure on the back of the head, stay down and grab your neck... Easy penalty,

Hasler hasn't coached Manly correctly since the new rule changes, cause several Eagles players should have stayed down and milked penalties Jake & Tom, haven't followed the milking trend

bileduct

Coach
Unfortunately, its not the player that decide the outcome of the result..Get touched high stay down, pressure on the back of the head, stay down and grab your neck... Easy penalty,

Hasler hasn't coached Manly correctly since the new rule changes, cause several Eagles players should have stayed down and milked penalties Jake & Tom, haven't followed the milking trend
Yup, I am actually at the point now where I don't care if players pretend to be injured to milk penalties. In fact, I encourage it.

mave

Coach
Well, if I was an NRL coach, I would be coaching my players to hit the defensive line, twist to back into the defender, drop down, grimace, hold my neck, recieve penalty.

Rinse and repeat.

V'LandysBall. Because that's what we want.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Well, if I was an NRL coach, I would be coaching my players to hit the defensive line, twist to back into the defender, drop down, grimace, hold my neck, recieve penalty.

Rinse and repeat.

V'LandysBall. Because that's what we want.
He may not be there much longer if the players have anything to do with it!

gerg

Juniors
Looks like the crackdown is back on again for the Tits / Sharks after being cancelled for the Penrith/Dogs game.

We are drowning in so much consistency, Greenburg would be proud.

It is impossible to be consistent. How does the bunker review every single tackle or contact in a game? He can't. The ref is calling players out from 6 tackles back, to put them on report but other times they're going back a set to bin someone. It's not sustainable.

We're all constantly complaining about incompetent referees but the powers that be are constantly making it more and more difficult for them.