What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

mave

Coach
The NRL don't care about dinosaurs who remember the 80s fondly

The new age is for players to have a duty of care to not touch an opponents head during the tackle.

Welcome to the new game of NRL!.

Reward legs tackles then. Can't have it both ways.

And if I recall correctly, the 80s was choc a block full of blokes who tackled around the waist/ thighs/ legs......with a small minority of thugs thrown in.

mave

Coach
Essentially, the NRL want blokes to tackle low, to avoid all contact with the head, but will not reward low tackling by allowing the markers to get set.

They want an even faster product with low tackling, and therefore supersonic ruck speed.

A slightly more contact version of touch footy/ oztag is the endgame.

It sucks.

Scoring has increased out of sight and as tackling becomes more and more difficult due to the rules we will get games where teams score virtually every set of 6 tackles.

Legs tackles don't work in the NRL because then you got to let the bloke get up and he usually is in a better position to get up and play the ball than the defender is to get to marker

going low to tackle the ball carrier front-on is also risking getting knocked-out...

How many times do you see a tackler get their head in the wrong spot then bingo - lights out...

By the sin-bin directive for "high shots" we'll sadly see more of this..

NRL have been changing rule after rule for years, all of which have had a knock-on effect in other areas of the game. They think they've fixed something but they've effectively shifted the problems elsewhere.

Now with a game sped up to pander to "bringing back fatigue", and now adding sin-bins to have teams playing a man-down... players will be more buggered but will try to tackle low to avoid further sin-bins... Its a recipe for disaster...

NRL looking after player welfare... what an absolute load of shite. They dont have a scooby-doo.

Pack of dunces.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Essentially, the NRL want blokes to tackle low, to avoid all contact with the head, but will not reward low tackling by allowing the markers to get set.

They want an even faster product with low tackling, and therefore supersonic ruck speed.

A slightly more contact version of touch footy/ oztag is the endgame.

It sucks.

I really think if magic round interpretations are here to stay, this is the thing they need to address. Leg tacklers needs to be given the opportunity to get to marker before a play the ball... How they do that? I dont know.

Maybe a variation of the old dominant tackle, where the ref can yell "legs" and that is a directive that allows the defenders to hold down a little longer to allow the legs tackler to get into marker

age.s

First Grade
going low to tackle the ball carrier front-on is also risking getting knocked-out...

How many times do you see a tackler get their head in the wrong spot then bingo - lights out...

By the sin-bin directive for "high shots" we'll sadly see more of this...

"I know you were running the ball, but you went in forcefully with the hip. That's dangerous contact. You're off!"

gUt

Coach
Yep think it will happen .
Back to grassing tackles ....as my old coach when I was kid used to say .
They can't run without legs boy .
& that is fine till you get JT2 steaming at the line from 5 Mtrs out .
A legs tackle will not stop the try .
Solution ..I don't know

If they went all out and said you can only tackle between say the knees up to the chest, the offloads would be unstoppable. Therefore change the 10m to 5m to give the D some chance

mave

Coach
I really think if magic round interpretations are here to stay, this is the thing they need to address. Leg tacklers needs to be given the opportunity to get to marker before a play the ball... How they do that? I dont know.

Maybe a variation of the old dominant tackle, where the ref can yell "legs" and that is a directive that allows the defenders to hold down a little longer to allow the legs tackler to get into marker

There has been opportunities for the NRL to do something like this.

Such a simple thing, but it will "slow the game down", which, for whatever reason, is like poison at the moment for the powers that be.

They want big bash, 48-36 scorelines, defence optional, everyone wants to see tries, etc.

Again, it sucks....cause despite the sudden change in tune from News Ltd journalists, the decision makers actually are mucking around with the fabric of the game.

It is almost a different sport to just a couple of years ago, and only heading in one direction at the moment.

1984 Canterbury 6 Parramatta 4 47,076 Canterbury Wests
1985 Canterbury 7 St George 6 44,569 St George Illawarra
1986 Parramatta 4 Canterbury 2 45,843 Parramatta Illawarra

It is a different sport to the one we grew up with. This will never happen again.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I didnt have a problem with the send offs because its about time we've gone back to the old rules, not new rules, where a deliberate head high shot is automatically a send off. If you have a look at some of the stuff back in the 90s there were some really bad ones and the refs had the balls to send off players.

I do agree though some shouldnt even been a sin bin, penalty at worst, especially the Broncos and Cowboys one, they were a joke.

I get what the NRL was trying to do, but you cant have a perfect system. Its a contact sport and there's bound to be head knocks and injuries.

And its easy for these experts to say "Just dont hit them high and everything will be sweet". Well no it wont be sweet. It will eliminate head high shots fair enough, but you cant have it both ways.

If the NRL is thinking this will speed up the game and keep the best players on the field, think again.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
There has been opportunities for the NRL to do something like this.

Such a simple thing, but it will "slow the game down", which, for whatever reason, is like poison at the moment for the powers that be.

They want big bash, 48-36 scorelines, defence optional, everyone wants to see tries, etc.

Again, it sucks....cause despite the sudden change in tune from News Ltd journalists, the decision makers actually are mucking around with the fabric of the game.

It is almost a different sport to just a couple of years ago, and only heading in one direction at the moment.

Id rather see a good game of a 4-2 scoreline, than a touch football 54-32 scoreline.

If the game goes down this path, these journalists will start whinging again about lopsided scorelines.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Id rather see a good game of a 4-2 scoreline, than a touch football 54-32 scoreline.

If the game goes down this path, these journalists will start whinging again about lopsided scorelines.

I've always considered 16-14 or 20-22 perfect balanced scores for a RL game between attack and defence!

I cant see this edict lasting more than another week or tow. At some point they will realise that accidental head high hits are not uncommon and that you cant keep taking players off the field if you want a decent game to watch.

Id be happy with:
on report for head high accidental (one match bans)
sin bin for head high dangerous (the papalli shoulder to the head or papahyzen ones) (two match bans)
send off for head high deliberate (which we never see anymore since Morley retired lol) (throw the book at them)q

Seems even the refs thought it was sht directive and refused to implement it originally lol

NRL news: Crackdown, send offs, sin bins, penalties, high contact, referees, ARLC directive (foxsports.com.au)

The way they are treating the integrity of the players and coaches is unbelievable. Utter disrespect.

Annesley yet again sent out by Vlandys' to defend his mess........

bagdad-bob.jpg

Zoe Palmer

Juniors
The way they are treating the integrity of the players and coaches is unbelievable. Utter disrespect.

Annesley yet again sent out by Vlandys' to defend his mess........

bagdad-bob.jpg

sorry but I can’t agree with that. the players and coaches have been taking the piss out of the game for too long. That’s why this mess has happened