What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Matty Johns Show: Thursdays @ 7.30pm on 7

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/6925852/matty-johns-ready-kick/

The Matty Johns Show ready to kick off
Yahoo!7 March 12, 2010, 2:01 pm

Channel 7 today announced The Matty Johns Show will kick off on Thursday, March 25 at 7.30pm.

Johns will tackle the new season's big issues as well as entertaining audiences with a family-friendly mix of sporting stars, special guests, live performances, music and comedy.

Johns says he's thrilled with the opportunity to expand rugby league’s audience.

"I grew up watching league on Seven with Rex Mossop," he says. "Thirty years later for it to be me on Seven with a rugby league show is great."

With several fun new characters to debut – including gardening guru Don Kirk, explorer Alby Sandals and 10-year-old Steven the Big Kid - there’s plenty of opportunity for Johns to let loose with his cheeky humour and incredible wit.

But when joined by former Australian and Bronco lock Shane Webcke for Controversy Corner, the show will take on a more serious tone as they debate the biggest issues facing the NRL.

Clubs and players have been very supportive of the show by taking part in regular segments such as My Home Town and Home When You're Away, giving them the opportunity to showcase towns around the country and surprise some adoring fans.

High-profile stars will also lend their time for player challenges and to be part of the studio panel each week.
"I think were heading into a fantastic era for the game," says Johns.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah... If that is a sample of what's on, could be a disaster.

Obviously i'll tune in still and see what it's all about.

Surandy

Bench
It's an Aussie Rules town. Move north if you don't like it.

Ahhhh, amazing. I didn't realise someone from Melbourne's Channel NEIN programming department posted on this forum.

I'm sure I'll speak with you a few times again this year. Try and work on your material, I'm tired of hearing the usual variations of your above quote.

Eels Dude

Coach
A Don Burke parody... that's like something Fast Forward would have done 15 years ago. I cannot see the relevance now. Is he going to start mocking the fat kid from Hey Dad too. Or Sylvania Waters. Fair dinkum they couldn't have done a worse promo for it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...for-johns-v-fatty-showdown-20100312-q44h.html

Round three kick-off for Johns v Fatty showdown
March 13, 2010

SIN BIN

CHANNEL SEVEN yesterday announced its new league show, hosted by Matthew Johns, would debut on Thursday, March 25, leading into round three of the NRL. Seven said that apart from tackling the game's big issues, The Matty Johns Show, to screen for an hour from 7.30pm, planned to entertain audiences with a ''family-friendly mix of sporting stars, special guests, live performances, music and comedy''. Seven said Johns had created several new comic characters for the show, including ''gardening guru Don Kirk, explorer Alby Sandals, and 10-year-old Steven the Big Kid''. Former Brisbane Broncos star Shane Webcke will join Johns on an updated version of Controversy Corner, the discussion segment first seen in the 1960s, when Rex Mossop was on Seven.

TOP PLAYERS PULL THE PLUG

A number of leading players appear to share the view held by NRL boss David Gallop that having a rival league program to Channel Nine's The Footy Show is a good thing. After recording endorsements for TFS during last week's NRL season launch at ANZ Stadium, several players asked Channel Nine not to use their comments because they would be appearing on Johns's show.

second bit is interesting

Matty might just kill TFS

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I thought the Don Burke thing was funny, especially the Robbie Farrah bit.

Im looking forward to the new show, the footy show was boring as crap the other night.

Big-Steve

Juniors
I thought the Don Burke thing was funny, especially the Robbie Farrah bit.

Im looking forward to the new show, the footy show was boring as crap the other night.
Channel 7 claim - "a family-friendly mix of sporting stars, special guests, live performances, music and comedy".

I don't find this skit "family friendly". Impersonating Don Burke and making him out to be a rude arrogant pig does not strike me as "Family friendly".

Hopefully it is not the case but it appears to me that Johns is once again on a runaway train with both TV and radio (2GB) producers more intent on producing variety shows rather than sporting programs.

IMHO

Eels Dude

Coach
Hopefully it is not the case but it appears to me that Johns is once again on a runaway train with both TV and radio (2GB) producers more intent on producing variety shows rather than sporting programs.

IMHO

I wouldn't expect anything more from Matthew Johns. All he ever offered to the Footy Show was the being the class clown. He very rarely had anything insightful to say. I don't understand why people are expecting a serious rugby league show when someone like Matthew Johns is at the helm.