What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The McIntrye System.

Suitman

Post Whore
TBH, I'm really not a fan.

I'd like to know what advantage it is for Manly and Melbourne to have a week off - with the promise that if they lose, they are out. That's right - 1st and 2nd, one loss and gonskies.

Weigh that up against the Bulldogs and Warriors, both who finished below them and have had the advantage of having a loss but are still in it - a 2nd chance you might say.

The sooner we get rid of this system and take on the system that the AFL use, the better.

It is no wonder the AFL ditched the McIntyre system after just a couple of seasons.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
the AFL system gives their top 2 winners a week off with no more chances too ..... any 8 team system would unless u drag it out really long or turf out 4 first week

btw - i prefer the afl system too .... its just got it flaws like ours does - but is better overall

EELICIT

Juniors
It s**ts me to tears, how could the league possibly stick with this when a losing team gets another bite at the cherry against a side that won ? Doesn't sound right to me !

strider

Post Whore
the only REAL difference with the AFL system is that the top 4 are all assured of being there week 2 and that 2 of the bottom 4 is assured of being booted .... which I think is far better

V1er

Juniors
Smartman said:
I wonder if this thread would have been started if Parramatta had lost? :cool:

and would dogs supporters be happy if souths won and they got elimanted after week 1?

Smartman

Juniors
Suitman said:
TBH, I'm really not a fan.

Weigh that up against the Bulldogs and Warriors, both who finished below them and have had the advantage of having a loss but are still in it - a 2nd chance you might say.

Suity

Had the eels lost, they would have had the 2nd chance but under the AFL system they would have been gonskies.

So this thread would have never appeared :cool:

Suitman

Post Whore
Smartman said:
Had the eels lost, they would have had the 2nd chance but under the AFL system they would have been gonskies.

No, because, as Strider said, the AFL system is much fairer to all teams.

I'll repeat. It had nothing to do with Parra. If we'd been knocked out under that system, we wouldn't have deserved to go any further anyway.

Simple really, but maybe it's the simplicity you're having trouble coming to terms with. :cool:

Suity

strider

Post Whore
yeah suity didn't post it cos we won - he hates half the parra team anyway :lol:

;-)

edit: oh sh*t i forgot something .... :cool:

V1er

Juniors
Smartman said:

no under the afl system they would have played brisbane and most likely won.

spiderdan

Bench
Suitman said:
No, because, as Strider said, the AFL system is much fairer to all teams.
i disagree.

it is better if you look at top 4 v bottom 4 of the finalists but how is it more fair to the top two sides if third and fourth are able to get the same advantage with a win?

no system is perfect but at least with the current system at the start of the finals, depending on results it's possible for any two sides to meet in the grand final.

from memory the arl used a top 7 format which i liked. worked along the same lines as the old top 5. i think there is one less game in that system which i don't the nrl would go for as they would lose too much revenue.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I much prefer the AFL system, but the old top 5 system would be even better. But that will never happen cause the NRL make to much money. Plus the Dogs would have missed out :cool:

Guys,

What about a super 6 style format like the cricket?

Mind you it would probably work better if the home and aways were eacfh side playing each other twice.

Maybe the f & a can be carried through and also the points (an extra point given if the away side won a particular match). Extra points could alos be given by virtue of ranking in the finals.

I'm thinking about this on the fly but a disadvantage of what I have said is that it may not help sides that have done well in the regular fixtures albeit not so well against their fellow finalists.

Suitman

Post Whore
spiderdan said:
i disagree.

it is better if you look at top 4 v bottom 4 of the finalists but how is it more fair to the top two sides if third and fourth are able to get the same advantage with a win?

no system is perfect but at least with the current system at the start of the finals, depending on results it's possible for any two sides to meet in the grand final.

from memory the arl used a top 7 format which i liked. worked along the same lines as the old top 5. i think there is one less game in that system which i don't the nrl would go for as they would lose too much revenue.

Fair point.

I'd have to see the makeup of a top 7 series to see how it could pan out.

I just don't like the fact that after just one week of the semis, lower teams seem to be getting more of a chance than those teams that came 1st of 2nd.

Suity

Latest posts