What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The McIntrye System.

Eelectrica

Referee
If we're to have a top 8 system then this one is the way to go. I don't know what Souths and Broncos have done to earn an easier first up game.
Melbourne and Manly have been the form sides all year and deserve the virtual walk through to the Preliminary finals.

Also saves our best game games for the last two weeks and slowly build up instead of blowing the most desirable matches in week 1.

I must admit though I don't remember the details on Warren Ryans system so that could be better again. I know he spent a hell of a lot of time working on it.

Parra-Fan

Juniors
under the afl system it would be much better
teams making the top 4 will benefit dramatically
most of the time 3rd n 4th placed teams arent even mentioned but under the afl system they would forcing teams to fight for top 4 not just for top 8

Bigfella

Coach
but under the afl system they would forcing teams to fight for top 4 not just for top 8

One difference between the two sports though is that afl don't have the demands from a rep season which can significantly impact on clubs' ability to make the top 4.

Suitman

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
One difference between the two sports though is that afl don't have the demands from a rep season which can significantly impact on clubs' ability to make the top 4.

But surely that doesn't justify a flawed semi-finals system.
Nor should successful clubs be taken into account and given an advantage in a competition that is distinct from a representative season.
Don't forget, the rep season was over 10 weeks ago - plenty of time to adjust.

Suity

pazzaeel

Juniors
Top 8 system is flawed. why should the 5th place team (parra) have to play the 6th place team (dogs) who lost in week 1.

a better example is when north queensland came 5th in 2005, got 50 put on them in week 1 by the tigers, then got a second chance (an ended up beating us in the prelim). why should a team who came 5th and got 50 points put on them in a semi final get a second chance?

Top 5 is a much better system.

week 1.

1 - week off
game 1 = 2v3 (winner plays 1 for spot in gf, loser plays winner of game2)
game 2 = 4v5 (winner plays loser from game 1, loser eliminated)

week 2.

game 3 = 1 v winner of game 1 (winner into gf, loser plays winner of gme 4)
game 4 = loser of game 1 v winner of game 2 (loser eliminated, winner plays loser of game 3)

week 3

game 5 = loser of game 3 v winner game 4

game 6 = grand final

Suitman

Post Whore
I agree that a top 5 system is fairer.
And, as Fishy says, it doesn't reward mediocrity.

But, it'll never happen, so I really don't even see the point in discussing it.

Really, It will NEVER HAPPEN.

Suity

Macca_

Coach
Sorry, my bad. Seemed like a good idea at the time :D

Much prefer the top 8 system used in the AFL.

In week 1 the bottom 4 know they are playing to survive and the top 4 know they are playing for a week off and the chance to host a Prelim Final on their turf with the chance to make the Grand Final.

MrT

Juniors
Smartman said:
Had the eels lost, they would have had the 2nd chance but under the AFL system they would have been gonskies.

So this thread would have never appeared :cool:

Hey Smartman, your team lost from 6th and got a home final the following week, work that one out

Hass

Juniors
spiderdan said:
i disagree.

from memory the arl used a top 7 format which i liked. worked along the same lines as the old top 5. i think there is one less game in that system which i don't the nrl would go for as they would lose too much revenue.

The ARL's Final 7 from 1997 was an absolute abomination.

There were two guaranteed dead rubbers in that system. In the current McIntyre 8 we have two potential dead rubbers (which is bad enough) but in 1997 we had the following...

4 v 5 played in the first week. Both teams were guaranteed a spot in week 2. Both matches in week 2 were knockouts. The winner just got to play an "easier" team in Week 2 (Gold Coast instead of Parramatta).

1 v 2 played in the second week. Both teams were guaranteed a spot in week 3. Both matches in week 3 were knockouts. The winner wasn't even guaranteed to get an "easier" match.

Whoever signed off on using that system must have thought it through for about 10 seconds. It is by far the worst finals system I've ever seen in use.

Cheers.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
i like the mcintyre system.

it really rewards the teams finishing higher up the table and makes it bloody impossible for the teams that scrape in.

change it to the afl system, and you are guaranteed complaints from how we have made so much harder for the minor premier and how much easier we have made it for the 8th team that scrapes into the finals.

anyway, the real proof of the system is in the results

there has been 8 years so far of the mcintyre.

all the premiers have come from the top 4.(so parra needs to make history this year)
the minor premiers have made it to the grand final in 6 out of 8 grand finals.
only twice have teams outside the top 4 made it to the grand final.
no team finishing 8th has made it past the first week.
only twice has the team finishing 7th has survived to wk3.

these results would tend to indicate that there is more right than wrong with the mcintyre system for the nrl.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Never been a fan of any Finals system whereby you can finish first and still not finish as champions.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Smartman said:
I wonder if this thread would have been started if Parramatta had lost? :cool:
Of course it wouldn't have.

Instead there would have been a thread about how the stupid system helped us even though we couldn't help ourselves. Which is exactly what the system has done for your mob.

Moron.

Strangenuts

Juniors
Tyler Durden said:
i like the mcintyre system.

it really rewards the teams finishing higher up the table and makes it bloody impossible for the teams that scrape in.

change it to the afl system, and you are guaranteed complaints from how we have made so much harder for the minor premier and how much easier we have made it for the 8th team that scrapes into the finals.

anyway, the real proof of the system is in the results

there has been 8 years so far of the mcintyre.

all the premiers have come from the top 4.(so parra needs to make history this year)
the minor premiers have made it to the grand final in 6 out of 8 grand finals.
only twice have teams outside the top 4 made it to the grand final.
no team finishing 8th has made it past the first week.
only twice has the team finishing 7th has survived to wk3.

these results would tend to indicate that there is more right than wrong with the mcintyre system for the nrl.
Good post. A lot of people don't like the top eight because it "rewards mediocracy". But 7 and 8 have to play the top sides so are normally bundled out week one, sort of making it a top six. But it still gives those bottom of the 8 sides a chance. If we had more teams in the comp then maybe the AFL type 8 would be better but for our comp I think the current one suits.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
the other nice little quirk about the mcintyre system is that it is possible for ANY combination of the final 8 to make up the grand final, depending on what happens in the first week.

1v2, 2v6, 4v2, 5v7, 4v8, 3v6.... and if the planets are all aligned in a certain way... a grand final showdown 7v8.

Hellsy

Immortal
I read in a news article today that there is no plans to review it at the moment as well, so like it or loathe it it is here to stay for a little while