What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The MMA Thread

blue bags

First Grade
Opening Odds Heavily Favor Pacquiao Over McGregor in Boxing Bout

DylanBowker_Photo-e1551909908168.jpg
By Dylan Bowker in Boxing — September 25, 2020 5:02 PM PDT

Comments
There is a realistic chance that Manny Pacquiao and Connor McGregor step into a boxing ring (together) as early as Dec. 2020. Photo by @theluckyman (Twitter).
  • Rumors of a crossover boxing match between Manny Pacquiao and Conor McGregor have been circulating
  • What led to this fight even being suggested?
  • Scroll below for the fight odds and the backstory on Pacquiao vs McGregor
A possible prizefight between Manny Pacquiao and Conor McGregor is being discussed all over social media. Nothing is official, but there is a realistic chance it comes to fruition, especially considering the vast sums of money both would earn.

This would mark the second pro boxing bout for former dual-division UFC champion McGregor. His debut was a losing effort via tenth-round TKO to Floyd Mayweather in August 2017.

After a spirited performance against “Money” Mayweather, McGregor is not looking for any kind of softball sophomore outing against a proven champion with over seventy pro bouts.

Pacquiao vs McGregor Odds
Fighter Odds
Manny Pacquiao -450
Conor McGregor +325
Odds taken Sept. 25th.

Since initial rumblings began for this fight, the line has shifted a bit, making Pacquiao an even more sizable favorite.

McGregor has indicated on and off for several years his interest in fighting Pacquiao. The eight weight-class champ has shown mutual interest in stepping in the ring with McGregor in past interactions.

McGregor’s interest seems almost purely competitive. He has indicated he has tremendous respect for Pacquiao’s accomplishments as a fighter. McGregor seems to just want to test stills against one of the best practitioners of this generation.

Jermall Charlo vs Sergiy Derevyanchenko Odds and Picks for Main Card
READ MORE

Will McGregor Come Out of Retirement Again?
Like everyone on the planet, McGregor has dealt with his own share of issues in 2020.

After defeating Donald Cerrone in January, the Irishman looked to negotiate some follow-up bouts, but negotiations stalled and McGregor announced his retirement for the 58th time (rough estimate).

The former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion took to his preferred social media platform and mentioned a specific location for Pacquiao vs McGregor.

Since this self-imposed end to his combat career, speculation has run rampant as to where Conor McGregor will compete next. Some of options that were pontificated on included various fellow UFC lightweights and welterweights, a bona fide legend of MMA, as well as a fight where McGregor wouldn’t wear gloves.

McGregor’s manager Audie Attar told ESPN’s Ariel Helwani that the targeted date for this fight is either December or January.

Manny Pacquiao’s Boxing Resume
UFC president Dana White has long had discussions about starting Zuffa Boxing.

Pacquiao vs McGregor is the type of big-name fight that White would love to use kick off this new brand in the biggest possible way.

Pacquiao’s team indicated that the Filipino Senator was intrigued by the challenge and creating a widespread global event.

Though he is in his early 40s, Pacquiao is still very much ranked among the top-five welterweights in the world today.

“Pac-Man” last stepped into the ring in July 2019. In that outing, he bested previously unbeaten Keith Thurman for the WBA super welterweight title.

McGregor is a master of fight promotion and he definitely was shifting the line prior to that Mayweather fight. I foresee a similar evolution in taking place with the odds for McGregor vs Pacquiao. Expect the Irishman to hype up his chances and his legions of fans to buy it, leading to a shorter price on McGregor as the fight draws nearer.

DylanBowker_Photo-e1551909908168.jpg

Dylan Bowker
MMASPORTS WRITER
A part-time writer and full-time broadcaster, Dylan has hosted MMA talk shows Lights Out and Pure Fight Radio with featured guests like Jens Pulver, Roy Nelson, Miesha Tate, and covered some of the biggest MMA promotions like Rumble in the Cage, Unified MMA, and King of the Cage.

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/boxing/opening-odds-heavily-favor-pacquiao-over-mcgregor/

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Incredible performance. Fight should definitely have been stopped in the 4th.
Kattar still had some pop in his shots though and his team probably thought he was only one shot away from changing the momentum. Dude has a chin and a half to not even be knocked down throughout the fight.

Max was other worldly.

shiznit

Coach
Kattar still had some pop in his shots though and his team probably thought he was only one shot away from changing the momentum. Dude has a chin and a half to not even be knocked down throughout the fight.

Max was other worldly.

Max has been capable of this for some time...

The utter ass whooping he put on Ortega was just as good IMO... except I reckon Ortega is a few levels higher than Kattar.

as unbelievably great as Max is.... I still reckon Volk will beat him in a rematch.

stylistically I think Volk is a tough matchup for him... his combination of strength, wrestling, striking, cardio and smart coaching just make him a nightmare for the entire division.

it leaves Max in a tough spot...

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Max has been capable of this for some time...

The utter ass whooping he put on Ortega was just as good IMO... except I reckon Ortega is a few levels higher than Kattar.

as unbelievably great as Max is.... I still reckon Volk will beat him in a rematch.

stylistically I think Volk is a tough matchup for him... his combination of strength, wrestling, striking, cardio and smart coaching just make him a nightmare for the entire division.

it leaves Max in a tough spot...
What is your opinion on Volk and Holloway 2?

FWIW I had volk winning the first one and Max winning the second one.

After this weekends performance it's pretty hard to deny Max a shot at the title after Volk vs Ortega though.

shiznit

Coach
What is your opinion on Volk and Holloway 2?

FWIW I had volk winning the first one and Max winning the second one.

After this weekends performance it's pretty hard to deny Max a shot at the title after Volk vs Ortega though.

I had Max winning 3 rounds to 2. But it certainly wasn’t a robbery as a lot of people were making out.

I think over the 10 rounds they’ve been in together I’ve got Volk winning 7 and Max winning 3.

I just think Volk is a tough match up for Max.

Smug Panther

First Grade
That was hilarious and now we hopefully get to see Nate end his career.

A great division now has Dana's golden boy out of the way. Dustin v Oliveira for the title and Justin v Chandler for a chance to fight the winner

shiznit

Coach
That was hilarious and now we hopefully get to see Nate end his career.

A great division now has Dana's golden boy out of the way. Dustin v Oliveira for the title and Justin v Chandler for a chance to fight the winner

don’t count Conor out yet... Dustin was brilliant... but he was on the edge of getting finished a couple of times.

Conor has never been bothered about losing... he’s mostly been pretty humble once humbled.... and I think he’s shown serious growth in his attitude since the Khabib fight.

I think for him he needs to have more time in the octagon against these killers.

I’d like to see him fight Tony... or maybe Nate.... but Nate needs to be more active himself.

the reality is anyone in the top 6-7 can beat anyone in that division IMO...

I feel super stink about Dan Hooker... I think he REALLY shouldn’t have taken this fight without his team. He just looked really odd... looked like he froze. His worst 2 performances was this loss and his loss to Barbosa... both of which he didn’t have Eugene in his corner.

But Chandler looked great... I’m really excited to see him in the mix...

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
don’t count Conor out yet... Dustin was brilliant... but he was on the edge of getting finished a couple of times.

Conor has never been bothered about losing... he’s mostly been pretty humble once humbled.... and I think he’s shown serious growth in his attitude since the Khabib fight.
What. When?

And let's call a spade a spade, you can be humble or as shitty as you want in defeat. A loss is a loss, especially a convincing one.

He's never gonna be as hungry as he once was, it's all good. We can accept that and bask in the good times that he had without downplaying what Poirier pulled off.

shiznit

Coach
What. When?

And let's call a spade a spade, you can be humble or as shitty as you want in defeat. A loss is a loss, especially a convincing one.

He's never gonna be as hungry as he once was, it's all good. We can accept that and bask in the good times that he had without downplaying what Poirier pulled off.

like multiple times in each round when when Conor threw that counter left when he was stalking him.

either of those things if he connected it would have been lights out.

to Dustin’s credit he was very smart and used the calf kick and his wrestling to change the tempo.

You must be new to MMA... :joy::joy:

a loss means absolutely bugger all in MMA... especially in the UFC. this isn’t boxing... a couple of good wins in the division and your right back in the title picture... in fact for Conor because of his popularity he could probably fight Nate or even Chandler next and then fight for a title straight after that.

the key will be does he get straight back in... if he doesn’t fight again for another year than it’s probably not going to be good... but if he fights again in say April I’d expect him to get better.

Say what you like... inactivity is tough when your in a division with these killers.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
like multiple times in each round when when Conor threw that counter left when he was stalking him.

either of those things if he connected it would have been lights out.

to Dustin’s credit he was very smart and used the calf kick and his wrestling to change the tempo.

You must be new to MMA... :joy::joy:

a loss means absolutely bugger all in MMA... especially in the UFC. this isn’t boxing... a couple of good wins in the division and your right back in the title picture... in fact for Conor because of his popularity he could probably fight Nate or even Chandler next and then fight for a title straight after that.

the key will be does he get straight back in... if he doesn’t fight again for another year than it’s probably not going to be good... but if he fights again in say April I’d expect him to get better.

Say what you like... inactivity is tough when your in a division with these killers.
So if he landed his left he would have finished Poirier? It's a hypothetical because it didn't happen and is very different to Poirier being on the edge of being finished. It's crazy, it's like every loss this guy has, there is a qualifier. Oh if he did this, if he trained properly, if he fought more, if he wasn't taken down, if he landed his left hand. Just give the props to Dustin, he outclassed that man.

And bro I've been talking MMA with you since the start of this thread, different opinion doesn't make me new to the sport.

shiznit

Coach
So if he landed his left he would have finished Poirier? It's a hypothetical because it didn't happen and is very different to Poirier being on the edge of being finished. It's crazy, it's like every loss this guy has, there is a qualifier. Oh if he did this, if he trained properly, if he fought more, if he wasn't taken down, if he landed his left hand. Just give the props to Dustin, he outclassed that man.

And bro I've been talking MMA with you since the start of this thread, different opinion doesn't make me new to the sport.

im just busting your balls bro... i know you ain’t a noob... :joy::joy:

That left hand isn’t so much a hypothetical because it put Dustin out in 90 odd seconds in the first fight.

which is why Dustin changed up the plan.

there’s no qualifiers with McGregor here... he got beaten by the better man... Dustin is a great fighter who’s beaten guys like Max twice, Gaethje and now Conor... there’s no shame in losing to Dustin IMO...

I just think people have this irrational hate of Conor because of the hype and his antics and they actually don’t objectively recognise his ability and almost act like his career is over after a tough loss to a very tough opponent.

the reality is he’s spent a grand total of 40sec’s in the octagon in almost 2 and a half years and he was up against an absolute killer who is more than capable of whooping him even if he fought him fully prepared.

but I think people are crazy to think Conor is done because he lost to Dustin.

infact id even pick Conor to win the rubber match..

Smug Panther

First Grade

That left hand isn’t so much a hypothetical because it put Dustin out in 90 odd seconds in the first fight.

there’s no qualifiers with McGregor here... he got beaten by the better man... Dustin is a great fighter who’s beaten guys like Max twice, Gaethje and now Conor... there’s no shame in losing to Dustin IMO...

I just think people have this irrational hate of Conor because of the hype and his antics and they actually don’t objectively recognise his ability and almost act like his career is over after a tough loss to a very tough opponent.

the reality is he’s spent a grand total of 40sec’s in the octagon in almost 2 and a half years and he was up against an absolute killer who is more than capable of whooping him even if he fought him fully prepared.

Conor is fine but his fans on the other hand......

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

He's definitely not done from a fighting sense but it would be hard to make a case for him fighting for a title anytime soon. 2 convincing losses in his last 3 bouts, sandwiched with a convincing win. Obviously it's in the UFC's interest to get him back in the title picture asap though.

Its a tough one though coz he is probably the only dude in the sport who has "f**k you" type of money and doesn't need to fight another day in his life. His whiskey company was one of the fight sponsors ffs :joy::joy:

He has really accomplished everything you can in the sport (except for defeating khabib), what even makes sense for him after this? If he can convince Dana to make a 165lb division then that would be ideal for him I'd say.

What's your thoughts on Izzy vs Jan? Izzy probably already fights at close to 200 pounds come fight night, this time hell be up against an opponent who is probably 220ish. Reckon his speed will blunt Jan's power?

shiznit

Coach
He's definitely not done from a fighting sense but it would be hard to make a case for him fighting for a title anytime soon. 2 convincing losses in his last 3 bouts, sandwiched with a convincing win. Obviously it's in the UFC's interest to get him back in the title picture asap though.

Its a tough one though coz he is probably the only dude in the sport who has "f**k you" type of money and doesn't need to fight another day in his life. His whiskey company was one of the fight sponsors ffs :joy::joy:

He has really accomplished everything you can in the sport (except for defeating khabib), what even makes sense for him after this? If he can convince Dana to make a 165lb division then that would be ideal for him I'd say.

What's your thoughts on Izzy vs Jan? Izzy probably already fights at close to 200 pounds come fight night, this time hell be up against an opponent who is probably 220ish. Reckon his speed will blunt Jan's power?

I think think Izzy is going to make Jan look stupid... that’s no disrespect to Jan... he’s worthy of his success.

but Izzy is just on another level striking wise. That’s not to say Jan couldn’t catch him and knock him out cold... but when your gameplan revolves around knocking Izzy out with a big shot I reckon you are in trouble... because your dealing with a guy who has fought against that style from MW to HW.

Jan needs to grapple him... use his size advantage on Izzy IMO... otherwise your just fighting in his wheelhouse. That’s why I think Robert will always struggle to beat Izzy. He’s a defensive wrestler who uses his wrestling to keep the fight standing which is his strength. But Izzy is on about 5 different levels to Rob when it comes to striking.

Which is crazy because Rob is one of the best IMO.

Latest posts