What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The moment Jarrod turned heads

DeeGan

Bench
From The Daily Telegraph

he moment Jarrod turned heads
By Dean Ritchie
May 16, 2007 12:00

IT was midway through the second half of a tense Monday night football clash in Newcastle when a star was born ¿ and an Origin career was launched.

The 58th minute ticked by as Knights halfback Jarrod Mullen shaped to kick, stepped past experienced Cronulla rival Brett Kimmorley and slid through the line.

The 20-year-old Mullen fed Kirk Reynoldson for a try, the Knights escaped with a stunning win and NSW selectors had found themselves a halfback.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal it was this scintillating moment in round seven that convinced NSW selectors Mullen was ready for Origin football despite his age.

Three weeks later and Mullen yesterday became the centre of the Blues' biggest gamble in 27 years of Origin history when selected to play halfback in Origin I at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday night.

The protege of champion Newcastle halfback Andrew Johns has been given the task of leading the Blues into battle despite having only played nine games in the No. 7 jersey.

Ben Elias, who played 19 Origin games, six as skipper, said yesterday: "I can't recall a bigger gamble for NSW in State of Origin history."

Mullen was in total shock.

"I honestly thought selectors weren't interested," he said.

Former inspirational Blues halfback legend Steve Mortimer applauded Mullen's selection.

"Jarrod has composure and character," Mortimer said.

"I see a lot of Andrew Johns in him. I'm not saying he is an Andrew Johns, but I see a lot of maturity there and a lot of patience."

According to Dean Ritchie, continually climbing up the hack ladder as a rugby league journalist, round seven this season is when Mullen convinced selectors he was ready for Origin football. He put a move on Brett Kimmorley, his main rival according to the media for the number seven jersey for NSW, and got Newcastle over the line that night.

"The 20-year-old Mullen fed Kirk Reynoldson for a try, the Knights escaped with a stunning win and NSW selectors had found themselves a halfback ... "

If this piece of insightful journalism is correct, wouldn't Jarrod then have forced his way in to the Country Origin team over Brett Kimmorley?

Look, the "moment" fits the story given Mullen outpointed Kimmorley for selection, though I am sure if we went to a selector they wouldn't pin point this is as THE moment Mullen confirmed he was their halfback as "revealed" by Ritchie and The Daily Telegraph.

Look, I may be wrong, though it wouldn't add up would it given City v Country was the Thursday night after round seven completed - again, IF this was THE moment, wouldn't Mullen have been selected ahead of Kimmorley given Mullen was going to be their halfback?

Holla

Juniors
From Deegan
Look, I may be wrong, though it wouldn't add up would it given City v Country was the Thursday night after round seven completed - again, IF this was THE moment, wouldn't Mullen have been selected ahead of Kimmorley given Mullen was going to be their halfback?

Not necessarily, If selectors had already decided that Jarred Mullen was capable of taking on the #7 jumper for SOO, then Kimmorley was selected in City v Country to give him the opportunity to prove the selectors wrong.

That didn't happen, so Jarred is given the job that the selectors feel he is ready to take on.

DeeGan

Bench
Holla said:
Not necessarily, If selectors had already decided that Jarred Mullen was capable of taking on the #7 jumper for SOO, then Kimmorley was selected in City v Country to give him the opportunity to prove the selectors wrong.

That didn't happen, so Jarred is given the job that the selectors feel he is ready to take on.

Fair point Holla, fair point.

Once again, the selection I applaud from NSW despite being a Queenslander.

I will be interested to here Loz's thoughts tonight on NRL on FOX.

choisir

Juniors
Jarrods selection is a no lose situation.He has a shocker he will have been "overwhelmed by the occasion and will be a better player for it" or plays a blinder it will have been an inspired choice and the arrival of the new messiah.

skeepe

Immortal
I wonder if the selectors took into account the night Todd Carney totally outclassed Braith Anasta for the five eighth role also... it would appear not...

Noa

First Grade
That piece of play certainly impressed me. I realised then that Thurstan is the Oz half for another year, 2 at most.

DeeGan

Bench
Noa Nandruku said:
That piece of play certainly impressed me. I realised then that Thurstan is the Oz half for another year, 2 at most.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Thurston is an established force in the NRL and rep fixtures, Mullen is neither at the moment and is yet to play 50 first grade games. From what I read, he has played only 9 of his 30 odd games at halfback too.

Promising player, mature, every thing you want in a halfback - let's keep in mind the same things were said about a young Tim Smith and many more before him.

mongoose

Coach
skeepe said:
I wonder if the selectors took into account the night Todd Carney totally outclassed Braith Anasta for the five eighth role also... it would appear not...

or the night he smoked mullen and johns 48 - 18.

Honestly though, i think carney needs to work on his defence a bit before he plays origin.

Noa

First Grade
DeeGan said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Thurston is an established force in the NRL and rep fixtures, Mullen is neither at the moment and is yet to play 50 first grade games. From what I read, he has played only 9 of his 30 odd games at halfback too.

Promising player, mature, every thing you want in a halfback - let's keep in mind the same things were said about a young Tim Smith and many more before him.

Ive been watching league long enough to tell the difference between the Daleys,Inglis' and Alexanders from the McClindens, Smiths and Westons. Mullen is the real deal.

Does little things in games that it can take halves years to learn.

2 years DG.

PS. I never rated Tim Smith, did you.

DeeGan

Bench
Noa Nandruku said:
Ive been watching league long enough to tell the difference between the Daleys,Inglis' and Alexanders from the McClindens, Smiths and Westons. Mullen is the real deal.

Does little things in games that it can take halves years to learn.

2 years DG.

PS. I never rated Tim Smith, did you.

My appologies, I wasn't aware you were such an esteemed forum member who has been watching league long enough to give such an astute and matter of fact opinion.

I have been involved with the game near on 25 years and I too can see that "something special" in a kid who makes it to grade. Let's be honest, telling us you had an idea Daley, Inglis or Alexander were different from the McClindens, Smiths and Westons isn't rocket science.

I have also learnt not to make such a sweeping statement about a youngster yet to play 50 NRL games and is still only 20 y.o. Look at the list of "rookie of the years" - you see a lot of potential that never lived up to the hype.

Jarrod Mullen is a good young player, he is in a era at the moment where NSW are lacking dominant halves and he gets his chance to push for further rep call up in a weeks time.

The decision to pick him I applaud, I have said that many times on this forum, though to say he will end the reign of Johnathan Thurston - arguably the best player in the world today and still under 25 - is quite a bold statement fuelled by Origin hype from the media.

Each to their own, I will take your bet.

Did/do I rate Tim Smith?

As a rookie - yes. He did things well before his age suggested he should have been. He dominated games and led his side to the finals.

Do I rate him now? Well he is a good young player with plenty of time to continue to mature in to a very good halfback in the NRL.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
The only thing that's going to keep Thurston from the Australian #7 is injury, plain and simple. To suggest that Mullen, at 20, is in a position to overhaul Thurston in the next 2 years despite his incumbency and consistent sterling performances, is really quite unrealistic.

Gene Krupa

Referee
ShadesOfTheSun said:
The only thing that's going to keep Thurston from the Australian #7 is injury, plain and simple. To suggest that Mullen, at 20, is in a position to overhaul Thurston in the next 2 years despite his incumbency and consistent sterling performances, is really quite unrealistic.

How do you know that? What a ludicris statement! Is realistic if Mullen plays all over Thurston. FFS!

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: so he gets picked based on that peice of play eh?
deary me, i could go to work with this but why bother?

good luck mullen, i hope you do well, even if i dont fully agree with the reasons behind you're selection

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Gene Krupa said:
How do you know that? What a ludicris statement! Is realistic if Mullen plays all over Thurston. FFS!
Farah playing all over Buderus thus far this year hasn't been enough to get him the NSW #9, nor have Bowen and Slater been able to oust Hunt from the QLD #1 playing all over him. Stewart and Gidley have both outperformed Miniciello, but neither managed to snag the NSW #1. For Mullen to be chosen over the incumbent Australia #7, he'd need to do a good sight more than better him - Thurston would realistically need to have a drop in form as well that would make selectors lose faith in him.

Raider Azz

Bench
more wanking from the daily telegraph. thank god i live in canberra and don't have to read sh*te like this.

Stranger

Coach
skeepe said:

Geez you always feel hard done by don't ya Skeepe?;-)

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Raider_69 said:
:lol: so he gets picked based on that peice of play eh?
deary me, i could go to work with this but why bother?

good luck mullen, i hope you do well, even if i dont fully agree with the reasons behind you're selection
Don't kid yourself Raiduh. You're hoping he has an absolute shocker so you can get up on your "I told you so, didn't I" high horse.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Poffosbiggestfan said:
Don't kid yourself Raiduh. You're hoping he has an absolute shocker so you can get up on your "I told you so, didn't I" high horse.

:lol: Who the bloody hell are you to tell me what im thinking?
I dont recall ever saying i hope or want him to have a shocker, put the bong down, collect you're thoughts, search my post history (Where you will see im quite supportive of mullen as i rate the kid) and then come back to me.

f**king junkies
*shakes head*

Jobdog

Live Update Team
You know it, I know it, hell everyone else on here knows it. You want him to have a shocker so then Carney's name gets bandied around ;-)

Raider_69

Post Whore
Carney's name will be bandied around in due time irrespective of what Mullen does, the bloke is doing wonderful things down in canberra, they can only ignore it for so long. And im willing to bet it will be sooner rather then latter. So i say again:

Raider_69 said:
Who the bloody hell are you to tell me what im thinking?

I dont recall ever saying i hope or want him to have a shocker, put the bong down, collect you're thoughts, search my post history (Where you will see im quite supportive of mullen as i rate the kid) and then come back to me.

f**king junkies

*shakes head*