What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The most disgraceful refereeing I've ever seen

God-King Dean

Immortal
For all those saying the ref decided the game...

How did the ref make Storm concede a try from a kick-off... Exactly. The better team won.

this stuff happens every week too every sport theres always decsions made in sport which arent right

also compared too the tigers/raiders game this ref was pretty good :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
The refereeing in the 2006 Grand Final cost the Melbourne Storm a victory. It was disgraceful. It is time to demand that the NRL does something about it.

Demand an inquiry!

Send them an email and demand something better!

gregstar

Referee
jimmythehand said:
what bullsh*t. if there's nothing between teams like there was tonight then it is the referee that determines the fate of the game.
oh!

okay everybody!!!! cancel the result!

the game shall be replayed next weekend!

brisbane were the better team. if melbourne were the better team tonight - they would be premiers. simple. i don't dissagree the the ref was appalling, but every game has crap decisions. you've got to rise above it. they dropped plenty of ball & made crucial errors.

Cletus

First Grade
Cockadoodledoo said:
and Keith Page in the early to mid-70's.. Those 2 guys knew what they were doing though.. Simpkins is probably just hopeless.. There was leg pull on Inglis in the second half that seemed to go on for 15 seconds and still there was no penalty forth coming.

And it was right in front of the touchie. What a joke. I'm starting to think the NRL has turned into the WWE the refereeing is so bad. And how the hell does that idiot Harrigan get appointed as video ref for the GF? He's been useless all year.

caylo

Bench
Big Pete said:
God you guys are horrible. I concede that there were a few bad calls. Storm got a way with a lot too though and I agree the ref was shocking.

I didn't think King scored TBH, Hoffman knocked it out of Hodges arm into Hodges thus making it a knock on.

Storm can count themselves unlucky, but Broncos were the better side.

i totally agree... i originally, and still do think that ball came off hoffmans bisept, which constatutes a knock on. berrigans penalty was unfortunate, but penalties a missed like that every game, they are only applified because its a gf. i think brizzy where the better team, they defend awsome, to bad for melbourne aye!!! better luck next year ;)

Big Pete

Referee
QLD proved that bad refering doesn't decide a match.

To gregstar and Immortal, glad you guys are able to give us some credit, you supporters are what the game needs.

To the Storm, bad luck...I really wish there was more I can say, but you were the best team for most of 2006 and all the best for 2007 and hope we all band together well in the Tri Nations this year.

BWNB

First Grade
gregstar said:
oh!

brisbane were the better team. if melbourne were the better team tonight - they would be premiers. simple. i don't dissagree the the ref was appalling, but every game has crap decisions. you've got to rise above it. they dropped plenty of ball & made crucial errors.
Yes premiers should be able to rise above all challenges but do you recon the Broncos would of won if they didnt get an 8 point start?
I dont think so it would of been alot closer... In a low scoring game it is very hard to overcome things like that

Big Pete

Referee
Caylo I agree, our goal line defence was great. Although I don't know if our defence was good or Storm were off.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Apart from the old 'you layedon the player' arguments, here's the rundown.

1) bronco player loses the ball ingoal, into the arms of Slater. He's about to send Inglis away - pulled up for a strip.

2) Berrigan's Shepherd

3) A few seconds later - Slater's head high.

4) Kings no try after it bounced of Hodges onto Hoffman's head, then back to King for a try.

5) Hodges touches the ball which goes straight into touch when Storm are attacking. Scrum feed to Brisbane

6) And finally, the blatant grapple on Inglis that bends him backward AFTER he is tackled........

MC DUI

Juniors
gregstar said:
oh!

You can't say that they were they better team and that the ref was appalling. Those statements are really contradictory tonight man, the Bronco's were not the better team they flopped everywhere and got the better end of the video decisions.

Sorry wrong.

salivor

First Grade
[sarcasm]Oh geez, I really don't want to celebrate, it just feels so hollow, we were basically gifted the premiership, this really is the most embarrassing day of my life to see my team hold up the premiership in those circumstances.[/sarcasm]

Doesn't matter how you win them, history will have the Broncos as 2006 Premiers, it doesn't get any better than that. We're f**ken champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *moment of drunken cockiness*

greeneyed

First Grade
The Grand Final should be replayed given the most apalling refereeing I have ever seen in my life!!!!!

Balmain_Boy

axl rose said:
Nothing new. Only a matter of time before it happened in a GF. Well done to Brisbane for thier Bash n Barg win zzzzz. Fitting way to end one of the worst competitions in the games history. I guess the NRL might quicken up the play the balls again next year, it will be interesting to see where Brisbane finish next year.

Absolutely.

salivor

First Grade
Where did Canberra finish? Could someone tell me? Oh that's right, f**ken nowhere.

Gymea Growler

Juniors
greeneyed said:
The Broncos have a hollow victory.

It was the most disgraceful refereeing I have ever seen in a Grand Final. Directly led to two penalty goals and then the momentum of the latter led to a try.

Disgraceful.

Hollow and disgusting.

Agree 100%
I even turned the channel over and started watching "Romy & Michelles High School re-union" with 8 minutes to go.

We have been warned for years about GF's being decided by dumb arsed refereeing. Seems it happened tonight! (Well it happened in 1978 also, but thats another story)

Pathetic effort tonight. Say good-bye to any Melbournites that may have considered watching the game.

I also thought the Carrol Dive (fake injury) was ridiculous. He dove to give them a chance to settle and put on a set move, then made 2 tackles in a row when they dropped it and hit it up with avengence for the rest of the game!!

Hogos knock over the side line, Kings dissallowed try, the 2 penalties.....it just goes on and on!!

gregstar

Referee
MC DUI said:
You can't say that they were they better team and that the ref was appalling. Those statements are really contradictory tonight man, the Bronco's were not the better team they flopped everywhere and got the better end of the video decisions.

Sorry wrong.
come off it!

melbourne overcame a terrible penalty count from dubious reffing to roll the dragons.

they couldn't rise to this challenge & subsequently lost.

premiers - broncos

runners up - storm

indulging in what ifs is fantasy.

congrats to the broncs...its not as if its their fault the refs a disgrace

the person i feel sorry for is shane berrigan who has the live with the fact the Clive Churchill Medal voters stuffed up as clearly the most influential person on the field was Paul Simpkins...why cant refs leave their egos in the locker room?