What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the most over rated players in rl history

DiegoNT

First Grade
Yes, not unlike all these f**king circus show pony loving wankers who think Cam Smith doesn't rate. The bloke is the best player on the planet and has been for nearly a decade, 99% of the plays that showcase the so called 'man of the match stars' begin with his go forward and choices.

The bloke handles the ball exponentially more than any other player for 80 minutes and while so doing is expected to make right decisions with hands and boot whilst accruing a tackle count that so called Immortal contenders can only dream of. No one I've seen play the game has had more influence on the outcome than Smith, thank f**k I can watch the game with my eyes

Smith is definitely the best hooker going around, the best hooker of the last 20 years at least and probably in the top 5 players today but he might be a tad overrated. Commentators act like smith is twice as good as the next best hooker. He makes a shit load of tackles and controls the play but most hookers do the same for their team as well (just not at the same level as him). If your rating hookers then smith is probably a 95/100 but guys like Luke, Farah, Friend and Ballin aren't far behind ( rate them roughly 90/100) and guys like segaryo, peats, Ennis aren't that further behind them (85/100)
The smith is overrated argument only comes because people rate him so far ahead of other players, not because his a bad player (in fact most would agree he is a great player)

Red Bear

Referee
Whether or not he's an immortal or anything else, he is hands down the world's best player at getting away with forward passes game in, game out.

He is a great player though.
Ennis gets away with more forward passes than Smith.

Probably one of my bigger bugbears in footy of late, the amount of free passes given to forward passes out of dummy half.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Ennis gets away with more forward passes than Smith.

Probably one of my bigger bugbears in footy of late, the amount of free passes given to forward passes out of dummy half.

Yeah Ennis certainly throws his share too. Guess he's not getting all of the wraps that the bum chinned accountant gets so does not stand out to me as much.

When Smith throws them blatantly and then in the same breath is lauded by every commentator under the sun it sticks out more for me.

Agreed its a really frustrating aspect of the game, but there are far bigger fish to fry at present....

POPEYE

Coach
And yet the Storm and Captain Cameron can barely win without Billy Slater.

You could easily make the argument that Slater is more important to the Storm.

P.S. You have a potty mouth. Take a chill pill and relax.

And you're a 24 carat f**kwit but no-one really cares what we say

kbw

Bench
Cam Smith as much as I dislike him is a great player, although I would like to see him play in a situation where the rules apply to him that apply to everyone else.
But Slater is just as important to the Storm as Smith, he runs the show just as much as Smith.

Thurston is by far a better player than Smith in my opinion

POOCH CLOUGH

Juniors
Josh Reynolds and Trent Hodkinson. Shows how low the halves quality for NSW is. Shouldn't even be in contention for selection.

POPEYE

Coach
Cam Smith as much as I dislike him is a great player, although I would like to see him play in a situation where the rules apply to him that apply to everyone else.
But Slater is just as important to the Storm as Smith, he runs the show just as much as Smith.

Thurston is by far a better player than Smith in my opinion

Neither could do what the other does so 'better' is relative to whatever makes your hair blow back

kbw

Bench
Neither could do what the other does so 'better' is relative to whatever makes your hair blow back

thats not necessarily true. What is the thing that people say makes Smith a great player. Its not his defense or his passing thats for sure, but its how he controls the game. Thurston does this better than anyone.

Even though Smith and Thurston play different positions there are similar components and those are defining of the "greatness" of the player. In all those Thurston is better than Smith

DiegoNT

First Grade
thats not necessarily true. What is the thing that people say makes Smith a great player. Its not his defense or his passing thats for sure, but its how he controls the game. Thurston does this better than anyone.

Even though Smith and Thurston play different positions there are similar components and those are defining of the "greatness" of the player. In all those Thurston is better than Smith

It's a bit hard to compare who controls a game better when they've actually played so much together. Smith controls things (with cronk) for storm, and has had many top 4 finishes and grand finals (even though a lot of the time these were in illegally assembled teams, he still had to go out there and perform none the less). By contrast Thurston has probably under achieved at the nrl level (despite 3 Dally Ms) when it comes to success. Thurstons reputation is mainly built on his performances in origin and tests, and he's had guys like cronk, lockyer and smith to help him 'control' matches

kbw

Bench
When I saw him tear apart the Roosters at the end of last yeat (all be it to a loss) it was confirmed. I am basing my opinion on Cowboys games not SOO or tests.
While the Cowboys are not had the success that Melbourne have its due to the cattle available not Thurston's ability.
Smith also has Slater who runs the backline so his job is easier

DiegoNT

First Grade
I'm an inglis fan so I'm biased.
Yesterday was one of his worst games.
But he Still made a Lazy 177m And Had 2 try Savers in His Worst Game, his brain explosion at halftime was monumentally bad, but even the great players make them time to time ( slater has had his fair share to)
People are blaming Inglis for yesterday's game but he was far from Australia's worst player, cronk and Thurston made so many mistakes, so many hospital passes or passes to ground, and Matt Scott is supposed to be 'the worlds best prop' but got outplayed by every other forward on the park

POPEYE

Coach

What does Thurston do that Smith couldn't if he had to . . . I'll disregard tackling, what does Smith do that Thurston couldn't if he had to. Then consider the effort each position requires and the detriment it would cause to emulating either role

Matua

Bench
I'm an inglis fan so I'm biased.
Yesterday was one of his worst games.
But he Still made a Lazy 177m And Had 2 try Savers in His Worst Game, his brain explosion at halftime was monumentally bad, but even the great players make them time to time ( slater has had his fair share to)
People are blaming Inglis for yesterday's game but he was far from Australia's worst player, cronk and Thurston made so many mistakes, so many hospital passes or passes to ground, and Matt Scott is supposed to be 'the worlds best prop' but got outplayed by every other forward on the park
This gets bandied about often yet Bromwich is easily the best prop in the game and has been for over 12-18 months.

DiegoNT

First Grade
This gets bandied about often yet Bromwich is easily the best prop in the game and has been for over 12-18 months.

If not bromwich, then burgess and graham at least in the last 12-18 months
Scotts always talked up as 'the worlds best prop', but I don't think he ever
Has been. His consistence but not anything special, doesn't do anything guys like bromwich and woods can't do, and he doesn't have that aggression power and/or skills guys like graham, fifita, George burgess or Mautilino have

bedlam breakout

Juniors
after sundays performance against the mighty kiwis -MOST OF THE CURRENT KANGAROO TEAM- over rated or well past their best- no renoufs kimmorleys lockyers or leading forwards there anymore- no wonder they need james graham to shout at them in nrl -"STOP DOING YOUR HAIR AND SILLY BEARDS AND ADMIRING YOUR TATOOS -your here to play rl you androtrops!

Latest posts