What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the most over rated players in rl history

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I also don't understand how he thinks of himself as one some moral high horse after the shit he pulled with at George

He must have plenty of photo's of people in high places. He is barely literate yet soon after retiring was straight onto the NRL Board. He is all over the TV on Fox and on the radio on MMM yet has nothing worthwhile to say at all.

I get it that he is there to appeal to the Queensland market, who in general have similar IQ's. However he is such an extremely poor excuse for a human being. Throwing a beer glass at a barman for example, sitting out that year, throwing a thousand punches at Ben Ross. No talent, no brains and no class.

Red Bear

Referee
It's conveniant for Lewis that he was on the way past his peak when he started playing in the best competition because we dont know how good he would've been with high quality competition week in week out.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Wally lewis- never played a GF.

Shane perry won a grand final
Shane perry > wally lewis

Stats should never be used as way to judge a player
They can be a handy guide, but you really need to watch a player and see the impact he has on games
Just because 2 props have 100m and 20 tackles each doesn't mean they had an equal game.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Greg Inglis. Talked up as a candidate for the next immortal yet has never won a Dally M, and the only individual thing he's won is a Clive Churchill medal in '07 that doesn't count because the team was cheating.

Chris Sandow is talked up by a lot of Parra fans too. Terrible organiser, terrible defender and goes missing in a lot of games that we need him yet they reckon he's our best half and should be re-signed.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wally lewis- never played a GF.

Also nobody answered my question- where the f**k is Joven Clarke

Find me a team that contains just one player that has ever made a grand final.

You could put Andrew Johns in his prime in the Junee reserve grade side and i bet they couldn't win a game against any NRL side.

What a stupid f**king statement.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Greg Inglis. Talked up as a candidate for the next immortal yet has never won a Dally M, and the only individual thing he's won is a Clive Churchill medal in '07 that doesn't count because the team was cheating.

Chris Sandow is talked up by a lot of Parra fans too. Terrible organiser, terrible defender and goes missing in a lot of games that we need him yet they reckon he's our best half and should be re-signed.

I never quite get the Inglis Hate, he's undoubtly ones of the best players. His dominated at origin (record try scorer), he's dominated in test matches (and almost always out of position to) and he's one of the best big match players their is. He's helped turned souths from an on-field joke to a premiership team. He's worst games are still pretty good. He misses 1 tackle or makes 1 mistake at fullback and everyone erupts at how shit and lazy he is. If he doesn't score 3 tries he's had a quite game in some people's mind

But I can see were the overrated thing comes from. He does some freakish things on the field and people expect that from him every game and it's just not possible.

Last edited:

Craig Johnston

First Grade
wally lewis's best season finish at top level as a starter was 6th. the year the broncos finished second, he couldn't even make the starting side behind terry matterson.

then followed up with back to back spoons. #illustrious

DiegoNT

First Grade
You're a souffs fan. That's hardly surprising.

Even when he was at storm, and I hate storm!
Another comparable player is jarred hayne
He did freakish stuff on the field, and rightly got praised for it. But when he couldn't do it every week (and in reality, what player could) people start saying 'I can't see what all the fuss is about'. Hayne and inglis's worst games are still pretty good.
Both can be called overrated but both are great players and both would be first picked if I had to pick a team for a game my life depended on

Last edited:

Craig Johnston

First Grade
He did freakish stuff on the field, and rightly got praised for it. But when he couldn't do it every week (and in reality, what player could) people start saying 'I can't see what all the fuss is about'. Hayne and inglis's worst games are still pretty good.
Both can be called overrated but both are great players and both would be first picked if I had to pick a team for a game my life depended on

jarryd was getting criticised when he was still averaging 200+m a game

aads

Juniors
Gasnier is overrated for mine - old fire up bitch couldn't do any wrong...

And why has no one mentioned the god amongst mortal men - the man who left rugby league last year and the game hasnt been the same since - $BW????

Last edited:

H.H

Juniors
Not a huge fan of these types of threads because I think most of us have no idea how 'good' a player you have to be to make first grade.

But in the context of over rated players at that level, it has to be Kieran Foran for mine. Tough, honest and works hard but really limited imo.

Good player but doesn't deserve the hype.

Johnnie Red

Juniors
wally lewis's best season finish at top level as a starter was 6th. the year the broncos finished second, he couldn't even make the starting side behind terry matterson.

then followed up with back to back spoons. #illustrious

Long live the...errrr....King?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
When has Inglis ever has to carry a side like Hayne did for most of his career then you can compare them, Has Inglis ever had to play in an average side let alone the woeful ones Hayne had to carry??? Same argument goes for Slater, much easier to do your job in a top line side. Loved to have seen how both of them would of gone in Parra's teams from 2011-14. Even our 09 side had one of the worst spines in NRL history.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
When has Inglis ever has to carry a side like Hayne did for most of his career then you can compare them, Has Inglis ever had to play in an average side let alone the woeful ones Hayne had to carry??? Same argument goes for Slater, much easier to do your job in a top line side. Loved to have seen how both of them would of gone in Parra's teams from 2011-14. Even our 09 side had one of the worst spines in NRL history.

When he first arrived at souths they were pretty average. He went ok at in 2011 but it wasn't until he was put at fullback in 2012 that souths become a truly good side. He can take a lot of credit for that. Before inglis to fullback souths were a below average side, in 2012 he helped carry that team back to the finals, and by 2014 they were premiers. Before you say souths were considered a stacked side, remember that from our grand final side johnston, walker, auva, reynolds, the burgess twins, Turner, keary made their debut after inglis arrived, Tyrrell, clark, sutton and McQueen were just honest plodders before he arrived, Tuqiri was over the hill and many considered sam burgess a bit of a flop for the first half of his time with souths. He helped souths became the team we were.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I never quite get the Inglis Hate, he's undoubtly ones of the best players. His dominated at origin (record try scorer), he's dominated in test matches (and almost always out of position to) and he's one of the best big match players their is. He's helped turned souths from an on-field joke to a premiership team. He's worst games are still pretty good. He misses 1 tackle or makes 1 mistake at fullback and everyone erupts at how shit and lazy he is. If he doesn't score 3 tries he's had a quite game in some people's mind

But I can see were the overrated thing comes from. He does some freakish things on the field and people expect that from him every game and it's just not possible.

Inglis is a good player and plays about 5 minutes a game where he turns it on and does something that's amazing, that's pretty much it. This talk of him being potentially a future immortal is what makes him over-rated. He isn't anywhere near immortality status. He's had good players around him his whole career, if he truly was a future immortal he would stand out from them.