What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the most over rated players in rl history

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
When has Inglis ever has to carry a side like Hayne did for most of his career then you can compare them, Has Inglis ever had to play in an average side let alone the woeful ones Hayne had to carry??? Same argument goes for Slater, much easier to do your job in a top line side. Loved to have seen how both of them would of gone in Parra's teams from 2011-14. Even our 09 side had one of the worst spines in NRL history.

Same applies to Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk. Never had to play in shit teams. All 3 are above average players which means that they look amazing together. If they had to play in shit teams like Hayne and at times Thurston then they wouldn't be as amazing.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Souths don't even come close to making a grand final without Inglis
Reynolds is the other key player though

some11

Referee
Clive Churchill
Bob Fulton
Reg Gasnier
Johnny Raper
Graeme Langlands
Wally Lewis
Arthur Beetson
Andrew Johns

Tommy Smith

Referee
I think talk of Cameron Smith bring an 'Immortal' - Popeye's favourite term - is ridiculous.

What's the Storm's record without Slater, 7 from 22? If Smith was so good there's no way the Storm would be so average without Slater. Players who are Immortal quality - i.e. Johns, Fittler, Lockyer - have the ability to carry teams and could dominate games single handedly. Smith is more like a vital cog in a well oiled machine.

As for Inglis, he's just way too inconsistent. Everyone now and then he'll have a supreme month of football and the media, led by the usual suspects like Matty Johns, will blow him until his foreskin turns raw. But then he'll disappear, like he has for 6 weeks, and the media will ignore it because it doesn't suit their "he's a flawless God" argument. But GI an Immortal? He's not even half as important to his team as Adam Reynolds FFS.

Both GI and Smith are terrific players, but a rung below Slater, JT and Lockyer as far as Qlds recent greats are concerned.

kdalymc

Bench
My obvious joke about Lewis obviously wasn't obvious enough..
Lewis is a legend, I just think it's funny how much LU users give Thurston etc for not winning a premiership, whilst the King never even played in one.
No BRL doesn't count....

POPEYE

Coach
I think talk of Cameron Smith bring an 'Immortal' - Popeye's favourite term - is ridiculous.

What's the Storm's record without Slater, 7 from 22? If Smith was so good there's no way the Storm would be so average without Slater. Players who are Immortal quality - i.e. Johns, Fittler, Lockyer - have the ability to carry teams and could dominate games single handedly. Smith is more like a vital cog in a well oiled machine.

As for Inglis, he's just way too inconsistent. Everyone now and then he'll have a supreme month of football and the media, led by the usual suspects like Matty Johns, will blow him until his foreskin turns raw. But then he'll disappear, like he has for 6 weeks, and the media will ignore it because it doesn't suit their "he's a flawless God" argument. But GI an Immortal? He's not even half as important to his team as Adam Reynolds FFS.

Both GI and Smith are terrific players, but a rung below Slater, JT and Lockyer as far as Qlds recent greats are concerned.

People who believe in this Immortal bullshit are as naïve as anyone who needs an imaginary friend

POPEYE

Coach
My obvious joke about Lewis obviously wasn't obvious enough..
Lewis is a legend, I just think it's funny how much LU users give Thurston etc for not winning a premiership, whilst the King never even played in one.
No BRL doesn't count....

Yes, not unlike all these f**king circus show pony loving wankers who think Cam Smith doesn't rate. The bloke is the best player on the planet and has been for nearly a decade, 99% of the plays that showcase the so called 'man of the match stars' begin with his go forward and choices.

The bloke handles the ball exponentially more than any other player for 80 minutes and while so doing is expected to make right decisions with hands and boot whilst accruing a tackle count that so called Immortal contenders can only dream of. No one I've seen play the game has had more influence on the outcome than Smith, thank f**k I can watch the game with my eyes

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Yes, not unlike all these f**king circus show pony loving wankers who think Cam Smith doesn't rate. The bloke is the best player on the planet and has been for nearly a decade, 99% of the plays that showcase the so called 'man of the match stars' begin with his go forward and choices.

The bloke handles the ball exponentially more than any other player for 80 minutes and while so doing is expected to make right decisions with hands and boot whilst accruing a tackle count that so called Immortal contenders can only dream of. No one I've seen play the game has had more influence on the outcome than Smith, thank f**k I can watch the game with my eyes

This post reeks of dementia.

POPEYE

Coach
This post reeks of dementia.

Only to f**kwits, to a trained nose it smells like beach worms . . . Lockyer, Fiddler or any of the Immortals could never do the combination of things that Smith does for the minutes he does them and he couldn't match their spontaneous acts of brilliance. Only a f**king dope has to separate the 100's of great players I've seen play

Incorrect

Coach

I think you need to swap the words "Inglis" and "Reynolds" in your post above.

As shown in 2012 when Reynolds pulled his hammy in the Finals, it all went south for the Bunnies from there and GI didn't get it done for them. And since he's been out injured this year, the bunnies have lost every game.

betcats

Referee

I think both Sam Burgess and Reynolds(as seen by their record without him) were more important for Souffs last year.

Tommy Smith

Referee

And yet the Storm and Captain Cameron can barely win without Billy Slater.

You could easily make the argument that Slater is more important to the Storm.

P.S. You have a potty mouth. Take a chill pill and relax.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think you need to swap the words "Inglis" and "Reynolds" in your post above.

As shown in 2012 when Reynolds pulled his hammy in the Finals, it all went south for the Bunnies from there and GI didn't get it done for them. And since he's been out injured this year, the bunnies have lost every game.

Reynolds is definitely key, but so is inglis. Without inglis there's no strike in our backline ( apart from walker, all our other outside backs are average at best). Inglis is safe at the back, gets our sets of to a rolling start with his kick returns (and helping our big pack get going). Many of our tries have come when inglis hasn't got the ball, but he's attracted the defence just with he's presence. We turned ourselves around in 2012 when reynolds debuted at halfback and inglis went back to fullback, those were our 2 key changes and it's hard to tell which of the 2 is more important

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Whether or not he's an immortal or anything else, he is hands down the world's best player at getting away with forward passes game in, game out.

He is a great player though.

Latest posts