What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the most over rated players in rl history

Incorrect

Coach
Boyd Cordner
Aiden Guera
Michael Lichaa
James Maloney
James Tamou
Sam Tomkins
Bryson Goodwin

On Lichaa, can anyone tell me if he completely carved up in U/20's or otehr lower grades?? Because, like Greg Alexander commented about him a few weeks back, I'm yet to see anything from him that remotely warrants the wraps he was getting last year and in pre-season when people were talking about how much of an astute buy he was for the Dogs, a signing coup even!

I've seen nothing of him in first grade either at the Sharks or this year that made me think, "Next Big Thing".... Next Matt Keating, perhaps, but not much beyond that, at this stage (he may yet evolve in to the NBT)

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It depends how we define overrated. Like Josh McCrone has played ~130 games most as halfback. He has been selected for country origin and has wraps on him all the time by commentators like Greg Alexander. He is very bog average.

The NRL will throw up poor to average players all the time. Not all of them can be elite but for a guy as average as McCrone to have the career he has had shows some extreme overrating.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
On Lichaa, can anyone tell me if he completely carved up in U/20's or otehr lower grades?? Because, like Greg Alexander commented about him a few weeks back, I'm yet to see anything from him that remotely warrants the wraps he was getting last year and in pre-season when people were talking about how much of an astute buy he was for the Dogs, a signing coup even!

I've seen nothing of him in first grade either at the Sharks or this year that made me think, "Next Big Thing".... Next Matt Keating, perhaps, but not much beyond that, at this stage (he may yet evolve in to the NBT)
He was consistently picked for NSW and AUS as a junior.

Hence the expectations are high.

Short term Sharks did well out of Deal Ennis has been very good for us, Lichaa is still learning first grade.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Ol' Shiraz face Rothfield had Lichaa as his #1 buy of 2015 last week. So if you want any bigger indictment than that, you'll have to look a long way.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Agree with Shitfied, how that guy won golden boot no one will ever know. Probably because English bastards wanted to give award once in their lifetimes to English bastard

He's apparently yet to receive it, since the manufacturers are Australian, so you're probably not the only convict who was upset about that decision.

500 first grade games, 41 international caps, 6 premierships, 3 WCC. Freely admit he isn't in Lockyer or Johns league but hardly overrated

sd_78

Juniors
Andy Platt.

Was the consensus no.2 prop in the world behind Lazarus and was paid a small fortune to follow John Monie to the Warriors.

...and he just didn't do anything. His entire game involved slowly waddling to the line, getting tackled and falling down, then contributing to gang tackles on defence.

Canard

Immortal
Andy Platt.

Was the consensus no.2 prop in the world behind Lazarus and was paid a small fortune to follow John Monie to the Warriors.

...and he just didn't do anything. His entire game involved slowly waddling to the line, getting tackled and falling down, then contributing to gang tackles on defence.

What about the Union great, Kirwan.

What a star he was

beefstew

Juniors
Vatuvei? :crazy:

How a bloke, who will later this season become the first player in league history to score 10 or more tries in a season for 10 years straight, be considered over-rated is well beyond my comprehension.

Each to their own, but bugger me, that is just dumb.

He's played every single game of his 200 odd game career on the left wing, traditionally the most prolific try scoring position on the field, because he's too unskilled to play anywhere else.

Most over rated by a country mile, and has already managed to make 20 handling errors this season.

POPEYE

Coach
He's played every single game of his 200 odd game career on the left wing, traditionally the most prolific try scoring position on the field, because he's too unskilled to play anywhere else.

Most over rated by a country mile, and has already managed to make 20 handling errors this season.

Nowhere near as over rated as Johnson, maybe his handling errors are forced by the fact the whole team is enveloped by kneejerkery . . . picking out one bloke in a sea of errors is nonsensical. Vatuvei in a Storm jersey would have him carved in stone

Canard

Immortal
You mean the John Kirwan who was the Warriors top try-scorer in 1996, despite being years past his prime?

If you think scoring tries 10 tries in a season on the wing means you are a star, than you probably need to re-evaluate your criteria of what a star is.

Union trolls just can't help themselves, they feel compelled to defend ridiculous positions even when they know it's absurd.

beefstew

Juniors
Nowhere near as over rated as Johnson, maybe his handling errors are forced by the fact the whole team is enveloped by kneejerkery . . . picking out one bloke in a sea of errors is nonsensical. Vatuvei in a Storm jersey would have him carved in stone

The only way he would close to the Melbourne side would be with 8 or 10 on his back, his skill set for a winger is pathetic and his defense for a 10 year vet is laughable.

Any decent coach wouldn't have him anywhere near the wing.

Last edited: