What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Mouth blasts 'racist' NSW

nqboy

First Grade
ozbash said:
exactly and proof of that prejudiced conservatism is plainly evident in 99% of the posts in this thread.

I personally think Mundine is on the right track and publicising the shame that is the NSWRL is only a positive..
All the credibility of a guy who posts under the pseudonym of "Ozbash".

gregstar

Referee
it would seem that mundine is the greatest fisherman since ernest hemmingway wondered what the words old & man & sea could lead to.

& we have all contributed in one way or another to his wallet.

Pensacola Q.C said:
I gave examples. Engage with the post or dont bother replying.

I did engage with the post. I made a relevant point. Id go as far as saying that about 85% of the current Aboriginals in the NRL are from QLD which scupples (sp ?) your points.

For you to even suggest that guys like Inglis or Hodges would probably not have got a game for the Blues is absolutely ludicrous.

Is that you Khoder ?

brendothejet said:
Mundine was a freak of a footballer.

Just quickly can someone post a list of aboriginal players to don the Sky blue???

Mundine vs Fitler, Daley = Mundine owned every time.

13 Aboriginal players have donned the sky blue:

Mundine, Walford, Daley, Phil Duke, Steve Ella, John Ferguson, Cliff Lyons, Graham Lyons, Ken Nagas, David Peachey, Craig Salvatori, John Simon and Timana Tahu.

_Johnsy

Referee
gregstar said:
must be a bout coming up.

I have to laugh at all the people who could not add 1 + 1, you could see it a mile off. Come in spinner, the man certainly knows how to play the media and get attention. the funniest thing is he is laughing all the way to the bank.

gregstar

Referee
i'd hazzard a guess that the percentage of aborigines of the total population are reflected in the percentage that have played first grade & as such, state of origin for nsw.

am i wrong in my belief that aborigines make up about 3% of australia's population?

gregstar said:
i'd hazzard a guess that the percentage of aborigines of the total population are reflected in the percentage that have played first grade & as such, state of origin for nsw.

am i wrong in my belief that aborigines make up about 3% of australia's population?

According to Wikipedia: 2.5% overall with 134,888 in New South Wales.

13 have represented NSW in State of Origin.

No idea what percentage that is of the total number of players who have represented NSW in SOO.

gregstar

Referee
well if 2.5 is correct, and 13 have played for nsw, 520 players have represented nsw since 1980.

anyone know how many have played for nsw?

gregstar said:
well if 2.5 is correct, and 13 have played for nsw, 520 players have represented nsw since 1980.

anyone know how many have played for nsw?

Less than 520, surely.

More to the point - looking at the list of Aboriginal players who have represented NSW, which other players is Mundine suggesting should have been selected and weren't due to racist selection policies?

Blacklock is the one people refer to... but aside from him?

gregstar

Referee
well if it's less than 520, then aborigines have made up a higher percentage of nsw state of origin players than they do the general population.

If it was 520 it would mean 20 different players have been selected to play in each series with none of them playing in more than one series.

Obviously this isn't the case.

So... Based on demographics Aboriginals have not been underepresented in NSW State of Origin teams.

Unless someone can come up with a list of aboriginal players who should have played for NSW but were denied the opportunity (remembering that it is highly subjective) then I think we can safely say this 'racist selection policy' claim is complete and utter rubbish.

gregstar

Referee
i guess to further prove a point one would also need a list of aborigines eligible for nsw who have played first grade footy since 1980 as against all eligible players who have played first grade in that time.

good luck researching that!

LOL!

_Johnsy

Referee
Well lets look at caucasian players who were overlooked at the selection because of perceived (by the player) racism. Now there would be some numbers. Maybe the players who were overlooked, just were not up to SOO standard in the selectors opinions??

This thread is a f**king joke.

Cougar3

Juniors
I am surprised that Ozbash took the stance he did. His username suggests he should be "bashing" the original Australians (aborigines)!

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
Hutty1986 said:
I'm pretty sure Inglis would stroll into the NSW team!

No doubt about it, though it is what is said in the northern towns that you have more of a chance making the Queemsland team than NSW team cause of selectors hesitant to pick Aboriginal players,
It sucks but its true fact that the Aboriginal junior players are told that there's a better chance there by the older guys who have been following the game for many years and see how it has worked out.

Sugar

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21710107-5001023,00.html
Mundine's Bunnies job safe
By Steve Mascord

May 11, 2007 12:00

ANTHONY Mundine's job as South Sydney's Aboriginal liaison officer is safe - despite his advice that indigenous players should leave NSW.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson put Mundine's claims about NSW being a racist rugby league state down to hyperbole .

"I take notice of what Anthony Mundine does, not what he says at a press conference when he is trying to promote his boxing match," Richardson said.

"He has never advised any of our young players to leave the state."

Richardson said the appointment of Mundine had been an unqualified success .

"He's a great role model," said Richardson .

"He doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, all the boys look up to him.

"He's very popular at the club."

Mundine holds regular meeting with the Bunnies' indigenous players, offering advice on football and personal issues.

Hopefully he does not advice the players on dealing with the media

nqboy

First Grade
LINK

Proving The Man wrong

DRAGONS officials last night spoke of their emerging indigenous talent who proves Anthony Mundine is a hypocrite. Matthew Mundine, The Man's 16-year-old cousin, is a rising back-rower who has captained NSW under-16s for the past two years.

Signed to the St George Illawarra Dragons, club officials say Matthew is a rare athlete with bright prospects. Matthew's emergence shows young Aboriginal talent can succeed in NSW – despite Anthony's claim our state is racist.

Anthony said this week: "I've told a lot of young Aboriginal boys to go to Queensland to play . . . they'll give 'em a run up there. A black player would have to do three or four times more than any other bloke to be a chance (in NSW). Politics and racism are part of the scene in rugby league. That's why I got out."

But a member of Mundine's own family is excelling at rugby league in NSW. "Matthew is a talented back-rower who has been in our system as a local St George junior for some time," said Dragons recruitment manager Craig Young. "He is on contract with us until the end of 2010 and he's definitely a player of the future."

Matthew attends Endeavour High and was winner of the Peter Sterling Medal for man of the match in last year's Arrive Alive Cup final. He plays in the St George S G Ball team, his local club being the Earlwood Saints.

Yesterday, the Mundine controversy was debated at the NRL's Women in League lunch. Roosters coach Chris Anderson and former Test and NSW captain Laurie Daley questioned Mundine's comments.

"I just think it's sad that in our society it has become an issue," Anderson said. "I think everyone should earn their stripes whether you're black, white or brown but on the character you bring to your side. In rugby league, I think you earn your stripes by the work ethic you do in life, and it's not about colour or creed, it's about who you are and it's about what you put into what you're about. So it's just disappointing to me that that becomes an issue, it's never been an issue in our game and I think it's wrong that because someone brings it out it becomes a big issue and society is, I think, sadder for that."

Anderson, who grew up in Condobolin and Forbes, acknowledged Mundine had some valid issues. "Well I can see where he's coming from, you know I think he's building a name for himself and he's made a lot of money out of it," Anderson said. "I think again, I can see both sides."

Daley, part Aboriginal who grew up at Junee, said race was never an issue in rugby league selections. "I think I've been down that path before, it's really a non-issue in my eyes," he said. "Obviously it's disappointing to hear those comments, I don't think it does anyone any favours. It's not about racism, it's about picking the best possible players."

Latest posts