What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Mouth blasts 'racist' NSW

Red and Blue Knight said:
Didn't Mundine say after he beat Soliman that he had his eyes set on the likes of Jermain Taylor, Joe Calzaghe, Mikkel Kessler and Bernard Hopkins?

I still hope he does, all 4 would destroy him.

Getting a bit bored of Mundine and his antics. I'm a fan of his fighting skills but he again has chosen another average fighter.

Having all these different organisations is killing boxing. Boxers are quite happy to keep their World title no matter how sh*te it really is without testing themselves against the best of the best in their division. Surely Mundine should be chasing the better fighters in the states and sacrifice a few dollars. The big money fights will come if he can prove himself but he knows he isn't in the class of the guys at the top and thus won't get half the money he can get in Australia.

Iafeta

Referee
I must admit to being surprised Blacklock didn't make the NSW team in the past. IIRC Ainscough got a wing berth ahead of him one year and the Maroons caned him.

Historically there has been massive race problems in sport - you only have to look at Classius Clay's story (Mohammad Ali), or the story of Tommie Smith and John Carlos, or in South Africa with the likes of Basil D'Olivera. Fortunately, I think the majority of those issues are behind us as a sporting world and we can only move forward. So historically, yeah there have been massive injustices spread out across the world on the basis of racial vilification, but I don't see it as being prevelent in the upcoming Origin selections. For NSW, the likes of Jarrod Hayne stand as good a chance as any to add to the indigenous ranks of NSW.

Iafeta

Referee
Prodigiousman said:
And another thing - I wonder if Souths will bother saying anything about the comments - given he's part of their setup.

Personally I think the best thing they could do is say nothing and not even link themselves to this outburst.

Because the moment they say anything it'll either mean they'll be labeled as on Mundine's side or turning on one of their own - whereas if they say nothing - this will go away just like Mundine hopefully will.

I doubt there's any ramifactions for Mundine, given Peter Holmes-A-Court on NRL on Fox imploring, or attempting to, Laurie Daley to understand how right and how good it was for Nathan Merritt to ask if he was left out of the City-Country game because he is aboriginal. I'm not sure how Merritt's reaction is condonable, let alone applaudible, it's understandable certainly if you get brainwashed with the wrong information but it'd have been much more effective to contact the selectors than the two city rags to air his views. Holmes-A-Court seemed to support Merritt's question and the way he went about it, not just support, but say it is good for sport when it just raises an ugly issue that should be dealt with privately, and then if it's not handled satisfactorily privately, by all means then go to the press.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Iafeta said:
I must admit to being surprised Blacklock didn't make the NSW team in the past. IIRC Ainscough got a wing berth ahead of him one year and the Maroons caned him.

Historically there has been massive race problems in sport - you only have to look at Classius Clay's story (Mohammad Ali), or the story of Tommie Smith and John Carlos, or in South Africa with the likes of Basil D'Olivera. Fortunately, I think the majority of those issues are behind us as a sporting world and we can only move forward. So historically, yeah there have been massive injustices spread out across the world on the basis of racial vilification, but I don't see it as being prevelent in the upcoming Origin selections. For NSW, the likes of Jarrod Hayne stand as good a chance as any to add to the indigenous ranks of NSW.

Isn't Jarrod Hayne related to Manoa Thompson in some way?? I thought I read that Thompson was his father.

I think that'd rule him out of being classed as "Indidgenous"...

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think souths are racist cos they have white players in the team and not 'muslim brothers' like mundine wants.

i think jason taylor is a racist cos merritt isnt being played at 5/8 and hasnt got the (c) next to his name

sharko

Juniors
I am genuinely impressed with the skill of some of the posters in this forum who can type with their white hoods on and their smoke alarms blaring from the crosses burning in their lounge rooms..it is quite a skill.
And I post this tongue in cheek..I acknowkledge not all are racists and bigots..ignorance is probably their worst offence!

Ewan McGrady's Lovechild said:
racecard1ti4.jpg

:lol: Geez I laughed when I first saw this. GOLD.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah Manoa is his old man - I thought he had some aboriginal in him.

Presto played city/country did he not? I'd hate to be wrong again, but isn't he Aboriginal?

innsaneink

Referee
"Filing frivolous lawsuits" :lol:

People dont do that, do they?

:crazy:"What else could it be"? :crazy:

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
Im a fan of him in sport and I have a few Koori mates that have said the same thing.
Inglis did go to queensland cause of what has been said.

Mundine should shutup and just concentrate on boxing,he is now starting to annoy me, I have respected him through all the other crap he has said but now he is butting into something that he is not involved with.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
This is pure speculation - based on nothing more than my own opinion and seemingly putting two and two together - but:

After Mundine's outburst is there any doubt in your mind that he put Merritt up to coming out in the press last week when he missed out on city selection?

*apologies if this has been posted before in another thread*

Stranger

Coach
If a white player misses out its because he was unlucky or he wasn't good enough...

If an Aboriginal misses out....

Canberra fans should call all the selectors racist for not picking Tongue in the starting 17...

Raider_69

Post Whore
what sort of example he is setting for younger impressionable aboriginal league players? If you're not good enough, play the race card... i doubt any perent wants their kids taking on this sort of mentality.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Stranger said:
Canberra fans should call all the selectors racist for not picking Tongue in the starting 17...

ive been saying it for months
the selectors are racist against albino ginger ninjas, if you've got red hair and would tan from the fridge light you might aswell play for QLD imo

Hutty1986

Immortal
Raiding Dazz said:
Im a fan of him in sport and I have a few Koori mates that have said the same thing.
Inglis did go to queensland cause of what has been said.

Mundine should shutup and just concentrate on boxing,he is now starting to annoy me, I have respected him through all the other crap he has said but now he is butting into something that he is not involved with.

I'm pretty sure Inglis would stroll into the NSW team!

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
Ok i don't think that NSWRL is racist...but...doesn't it seem like QLD have been more 'willing' to select aboriginal players in the last 10 years than NSW? Especially smaller players that may be typically deemed not 'tough' enough to play origin football. Guys like Thurston, Sing, Bowen, Inglis and Ty Williams would likely never have gotten a game for NSW. A mouth like Justin Hodges may never have gotten a look in. On the flip side i reckon players like Blacklock and Campbell probably would have got a maroon jersey.

I think that's a possible view. However i don't believe Mundine's comments are either genuine nor constructive. As noted he is trying to promote a fight with another no-name.

Latest posts