What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The North Sydney Bears Myth

Goddo

Bench
success? even existence in the comp isn't guarenteed these days. ask Newtown, bears, illawarra or perth fans.

Goddo

Bench
Ah a lonely Rabbits troll. No one posting in your forum?

The point I was making was that Illawarra Steelers no longer exists. Same goes for the St George Dragons. I got tired of typing examples, but I can continue for the trolls if you like?

Newcastle, Norths, Manly (for a while), Souths (for a while), Glebe, University, Wests, Balmain, South Qld, Adelaide (lols), all the gold coast teams, Perth.....

more will cease to exist in the future

Manly have their toe in the Sunshine Coast, Cronulla's future is murky at best, Souths can't keep expecting hand outs from russ, Newcastle have stadium trouble, Canberra struggle for sponsors/relevance, Melbourne are dependent on News corp, New Zealand have potential but not much else, et cetera.

Fein

First Grade
Ah a lonely Rabbits troll. No one posting in your forum?

The point I was making was that Illawarra Steelers no longer exists. Same goes for the St George Dragons. I got tired of typing examples, but I can continue for the trolls if you like?

Newcastle, Norths, Manly (for a while), Souths (for a while), Glebe, University, Wests, Balmain, South Qld, Adelaide (lols), all the gold coast teams, Perth.....

more will cease to exist in the future

Manly have their toe in the Sunshine Coast, Cronulla's future is murky at best, Souths can't keep expecting hand outs from russ, Newcastle have stadium trouble, Canberra struggle for sponsors/relevance, Melbourne are dependent on News corp, New Zealand have potential but not much else, et cetera.

Cheers for clarifying.

Ps. This is the NRL forum.

Tommax25

Bench
Enjoy it while you can, you idiot.

Manly, current NRL premier and World Club Champions.

You've got players who bash sponsors, (allegedy) rape teenagers and whose "saviours" are at each others' throats. This is called the deathroll.

When was there any player accused of rape?

In 2009, the Bears will match Manly for the number of premierships won - zero.

But will the number of NRL games played be the same? How about number of NRL finals matches played?

:lol:

King Tigerman

Juniors
Yeah St George haven't won one in a while, but at least the club is still owned by members, is financially strong, has excellent corporate support and has steady upgrade plans for the future of the club and grounds.

:lol:

i thought stgeorge was 25% owned by WIN TV

ona2001

Juniors
I never minded Norths, holding the fort as they did for RL on the RU-dominated lower north shore. And I've never hated Manly so much as found them boring all those years. But neither of them on their own are relevant to the kind of competition the NRL is going to need for RL to take the fight nationally to other codes in the next decade. Manly is 10th on both the home and away crowds list (http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2009.html) as premiers. Their numbers have barely grown in thirty years. Their fans don't travel and other fans won't travel to them. It's typical of the kind of casual local team support Sydney's RL community's been happy with for decades, one RL can no longer afford. The Bears have no fans left to speak of in numbers and no cash reserves anywhere near what's required to launch an NRL team. I don't hold hate for either, but the days of Sydney's park competition and clubs like Manly and Norths that represent it were numbered in 1994, let alone 2009.

rednblack

Juniors
The Bears have no fans left to speak of in numbers and no cash reserves anywhere near what's required to launch an NRL team.

The weekend just gone saw a 3 year sponsorship deal (with options for extension) signed off between the mighty Bears and new major sponsors, Mortgage Choice. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure of the exact value, but I'm reliably informed that it rivals just about ALL of the current NRL sponsorships. Maybe it's my cynicism, but I highly doubt that a company would outlay millions of dollars without a suggestion that they might get a little more exposure than a NSW cup crowd of about 200 people! With new TV rights up for grabs in 2012, and the NRL keen to be selling an extra game to the masses each week, I think it can be confidently thought that the Bears will be one of two teams (re)entering the competition within the next couple of years. The North Sydney leagues club is well supported, and not too short of coin either. Your suggestion that the Bears cash reserves are minimal are based on what? Speculation, perhaps?

As for the number of fans, Bears fans never die my friend! We are the staunchest of them all, having seen our fair share of hard luck (and bitterness with our north shore rivals!). Most of those who were strong Norths fans ended up leaving rugby league behind all together, rather than support someone else. The numbers are all there, the history is there, the cash is there, and the time is now right for the mighty Red and Blacks to be once again part of the premier competition. Apart from that, the central coast is one of the densest nurseries of rugby league in the world, and is a perfect place to nurture young players, and build an even stronger supporter base.

PS go the eels on the weekend!

Goddo

Bench
Just out of curiousity, what would St Merge fans know about making money from premierships?

I know my club isn't looking at relocation options in QLD so they must be doing most things right! :lol: Manly can't pull a crowd over 15k :lol: Enjoy the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles :lol:

ManlyMania

Juniors
I know my club isn't looking at relocation options in QLD so they must be doing most things right! :lol: Manly can't pull a crowd over 15k :lol: Enjoy the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles :lol:

lets see - you would do anything to 1. have your identity back and 2. win a comp. you cant do either -weve done both... and WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
lets see - you would do anything to 1. have your identity back and 2. win a comp. you cant do either -weve done both... and WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

Ancient history, Manly scum.

Brookvale Oval is a hole. Your owners are at each other's throats. Your players are in off field strife. Performance this year was forgettable. You're on the downhill slide. Your fans are arguably the stupidest beings in existence, slightly above plantlife. You have a history of shame and disgrace that invades your psyche like a hidden but growing disease.

Time to relocate to the Sunshine Coast as the Manly Sea Bogans.

Die Manly Scum.

ManlyMania

Juniors
Ancient history, Manly scum.

Brookvale Oval is a hole. Your owners are at each other's throats. Your players are in off field strife. Performance this year was forgettable. You're on the downhill slide. Your fans are arguably the stupidest beings in existence, slightly above plantlife. You have a history of shame and disgrace that invades your psyche like a hidden but growing disease.

Time to relocate to the Sunshine Coast as the Manly Sea Bogans.

Die Manly Scum.

what burns you most - the 40-0 win? or the fact your not in the comp?:D

Latest posts