What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Novocastrian FOOTY SHOW RORT

Sportsjock

Juniors
I enjoyed the Footy Show last night. I watched it from home.
It was one of the more enjoyable I have seen this year.

However, given do you realise what a massive profit and rort Channel 9 has done for Novocastrian football fans?
Lets face it, the area ( nor many of the Newcastle locals ) arent exactly rolling in money.

Channel 9, the Footy Show, decide to put on the live performance at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre.

They decided to charge fans $43 for a ticket - More than what they charge for the GRAND FINAL footy show at the Sydney Entertainment Centre by at least $10-15.

From the look of the show last night, and knowing the capacity of the ENT CENT is approx 5000-6000 people, there was at least 3,500-4000 people packed into the ENT CENT last night.

Going off that assumption, the ticket sales alone would profit $172,000 approximately from the show last night.

Bearing in mind that the set, staging, and cost of production is an expense that they would need to pay, it would also not be too much more than the standard they would pay every week for their in studio shows anyway.

The fact they also have sponsors would add to any income.
The Screaming Jets while they would have been paid, would have been paid no more than Pete Murray, Something For Kate etc from previous week shows.

The PA system and lighting was nothing spectacular, and you'd be surpised how cheap hiring of that set up is now becoming. ( A similar set up with intelligent lighting and massive PA for an act like Alex Lloyd playing the Workers Club would be approx $2,000 )

I know for a fact that the costing of the hire of the Entertainment Centre is approx $3000 for a night - less than the hire of the Civic Theatre.

Last night Newcastle was rorted by the Footy Show. They would have walked away from Newcastle with at least $130,000 profit from our local hard earned ticket sale money for Channel 9.

A nice gesture given our football loving community and one town team, would have been the Footy Show donating some of that money to our local rugby league or junior development in the area.

As it stands, someone made a nice little earner from last night and it was at Newcastles and its fans expense.

It kinda pissed me off this morning. Just wanted to share my thoughts.

astrogirl

First Grade
$43 is steep! I'm surprised so many people were there. There's no way I'd be paying that.

Isn't it free to attend the Channel 9 studio shows?

antonius

Coach
Yes that thought crossed my mind when I found out the cost of a ticket, I also understand (could be wrong though) that in Sydney the show is free!!! I agree that money should be going to local sporting clubs, chanell nine make enough money as it is, and you are correct it was a rort if in fact it's free to attend in Sydney. I'm not a fan of the show, but like you watched it because of the local thing, it was one of their better ones. I really liked the interview with Watne Bennett, he's human after all.LOL. I will prob watch next week just to see the next segment of the Bennett interview.

Missa

Juniors
that is very expensive..i live in sydney and have been to the footy show a few times and yes it is free.......best bit about the sydney footy show is after the match u can meet the hosts and the guest on....

Sportsjock

Juniors
Obviously the Sydney in studio is free - just like the taping of any TV show.

Of course, when they leave the studio and put it on at Panthers, or Newcastle, or Syd Ent Cent, or Star City, a cost of putting on the show and venue hire needs to come into play.

Fair enough.

But last night the Footy Show didn't just cover costs with the Ticket sales , they made a MASSIVE profit, that a major international musician would be proud of - a profit of which our local footballing area, or juniors, will never see.

It will probably buy Packer a horse at the next yearling sales.

Kaz

junior
You know the saying

A fool and their money are soon parted.

The money could go towards Joey's next contract. :lol:

Kaz

junior
antonius said:
I really liked the interview with Wayne Bennett, he's human after all.LOL. I will prob watch next week just to see the next segment of the Bennett interview.

I told you he is a nice guy.

Notice that Fatty didn't do the interview. :lol:

Sportsjock

Juniors
The Footy Show donate money to charity thanks to money they get to bet with from SPORTSTAB , and donate money to charity with Beat The Boys winnings thanks to MARS BARS.

Do they ever give anything themselves?

Come on Channel 9, you might fool some people, but fair dinkum.

You made almost $150,000 profit last night, and not a cent will go to football charities, the Newcastle area, or anything to do with the junior grassroot level of the game!

They think they are doing something special, but they are giving charities money that is already given to them thanks to SportsTab and Mars Bar sponsorships, yet can happily take shitloads of $ from Novocastrians at $43 a ticket.

astrogirl

First Grade
antonius said:
sullyfan said:
Clint Newton should have been the Knights' Most Wanted player instead of Adam Woolnough!
Fancy him do you??
I've never met him, but he looked alright in the Knights 2003 calendar!

(Why I did I bother saying 2003 - it's not like there's a 2004 one!)

I rarely watch past the first commercial break of the show but last night was a good show!-Wayne Bennett talking was very enthralling.
FAT/CHIEF on the ride was funny as
BUT-
No-one asked the question of Joey-"Where are you playing next year?"
Kept that one away
Anastasia-MY Oh MY!-Sneaky Pete got 4 kisses!
I liked the show....From the comfort of my living room

parra_princess

Juniors
Well I personally thought last nights footy show was one of the best, and i'm pretty sure the people of Newcastle thought that too.

And yes, while I agree the people of Newcastle arn't the richest people on the planet i'm sure $43 was money well spent in their eyes as it was a great show. How often does this happen in Newcastle. It's an event and I wasn't there but it looked like a pretty good atmosphere. If the guys n gals coming out of the show were pissed off that it wasn't worth it...then I think there is a case to complain. I think they also would have paid Anastacia and Ronn Moss a small fee for their cameo's.

I'm sure channel 9 did pretty well from it too...i'm not denying that. But I think it's like when you pay a lot for a concert ticket when your favourite singer is in town. Price is steep but the show was great.

Risa

Bench
I noticed they were having the Footy Show at Gosford League's Club on May 6 for the City v Country. We've never had one here before so I thought, okay, I might go because it's only around 15 mins away. Anyway, a quick check of the local paper and I was so shocked. It's $40 a ticket. Basically, my ticket for City v Country cost $32 and they want me to pay more than that if I want to go to the show? Far out, no thank you!

Doctor

Bench
Last night Newcastle was rorted by the Footy Show. They would have walked away from Newcastle with at least $130,000 profit from our local hard earned ticket sale money for Channel 9.

I don't think they made that big a profit Sportsjock - let's get some facts into the equation: :roll:

The approximate cost to move the show to a different location (set, lighting, travel expenses, studio people etc) - is $300,000.

They would have made about $160,000-200,000 in ticket sales given that the Ent Cent holds about 4-5,000 people.

I was thinking about this potential profit too. But The Screaming Jets wouldn't work for free, you have to pay for any guest appearances, plus the additional expenses like hiring the centre and paying security people and event staff.

The $300,000 figure does not include normal expenses either - that figure is just to move the whole show 2.5 hours up the road. The sponsors would pay their usual payments, but essentially someone has to wear the costs.

Mind you, $43 a ticket is about $43 more expensive than I would pay to watch the Footy Show. They wouldn't have allowed themselves to go into the red, but I doubt they made a profit just on ticket sales alone - not with such high costs to move to Newcastle for one night and then take it all back down to Sydney next week and set it all back up again.

The question is: Do places like Brisbane pay for tickets to the Footy Show?

Latest posts