What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL is a fifth rate piece of sh*t re: radio rights

Brutus

Referee
Well done to puppet Gallop and his News LTD cronies for again abandoning real rugby league fans.

According to 2SM this afternoon the NRL has gone with 2GB as exclusive weekend commercial rights holders of the game instead of giving fans an option. It is believed this deal is for three years. The only change next season will be on Monday nights where Triple M is expected to call that match.

2GB offer nothing more than vaudeville waste where the people broadcasting the show are seen as more important than the game itself. The show is rarely about rugby league hence it attracts a large number of non-rugby league supporters. To have this as the only commercial option on Saturdays and Sundays is a joke.

This will mean poor Saturday night rugby league coverage yet again where of course Fox Sports' precious Super Saturday can continue to be protected.

Here's what Melbourne AFL fans can look forward to with regards to radio coverage:

Who calls what
3AW Four games a week across Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, Sunday afternoon and all public holiday matches.
Triple M Four games a week across Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, Sunday afternoon and all public holiday matches.
SEN 1116 Five games a week across Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, early Sunday, Sunday twilight and all public holiday matches.
ABC Five games a week across Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, early Sunday, Sunday twilight and all public holiday matches.
· 3AW and Triple M broadcast the first-choice game on Saturday and Saturday night, with SEN and ABC taking the second choice.
· On certain Saturdays when there is only one game in Melbourne, all four stations will call it.
· For the first time, all Victorian teams are guaranteed radio coverage in Melbourne when playing outside Victoria.

Shame on the NRL...again.

I realise that the NRL's persistence with 2GB as exclusive broadcaster is really annoying and I can't fathom it myself but one must remember that there is a very simple, three-letter solution.

ABC.

They provide excellent coverage across NSW, Qld and the ACT. They will no doubt cover Friday and Monday night football if allowed under the contract (I believe the new TV deal allows radio to cover the live Friday night game but not the delayed one and I've seen nothing to indicate that the ABC would be shut out of the Monday night game).

I know that their coverage is not perfect and even as a Saints supporter I can see that they do tend to overly focus on covering St George and, to a lesser extent, Bulldogs games but still it's pretty hard to fault them.

Red Bear

Referee
pfft, listen to abc, they cover everything abr friday and i doubt they'd cover monday. Good league talk and easy the best commentry team. No ads either. Really, f**k the commercial radio stations

thank God for the ABC !

but even then when a sat night rugby test is on that usually gets preference, possibly even a sat night waratahs game:x

i still remember hadley when 2gb got the exclusive rights when he was at 2ue , he was spewing!

I really think the NRL are scared of Alan Jones ( a major shareholder in 2gb) amd ray hadley.

Mr Saab

Referee
Cheesemaker...

Yes ABC is an option, but why have only one commercial station calling the
game?
The NRL would have to be the only major comp in the world where only one radio station can call the game.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
FFS :roll:

NRL-ARL, what the hell are you doing?

Do you guys want the NRL to die?

If you do, keep giving the Radio rights-TV and Internet to the same Muppet's you do every year.

Ray can get stuffed, I'll never ever listen to his show again, last time I did was about 15 months ago, it was bad then, I can't imagine how bad it is now.

The ABC is screaming for more RL, they treat the game and more importantly the fans with respect, RH and co don't give a shyte, they think they are bigger and better than everyone else, they do not respect the game, and especially the fans.:roll:

If I wanted to listen to truck horns ,fart jokes, has beens and such, I'd be watching one of the 3 major FTA TV networks.

And all the Ex RL players RH has on his show every week are dickheads, you'd think they'd stick up for the game that made them rich and famous, but no, they all have the brains of 7 year olds.

Does anyone have the link for RH and the funny abuse he went on with during the Olympic games?

I'd love to send it to media watch or something and ask them why a guy like this can be allowed to call any sport on any bloody radio station in the country.

Someone posted it at this site during 2003, anyone know where abouts?

Thanks.

(looks like it's up to the fans to get this prick removed)

as i just mentioned though the ABC often give preference to major rugby union games.

this meant on a few sat nights this year there was no coverage of the 7.30 sat night game. which is a ridiculous situation.

Mr Saab said:
Cheesemaker...

Yes ABC is an option, but why have only one commercial station calling the
game?
The NRL would have to be the only major comp in the world where only one radio station can call the game.

HMS Cheesemaker said:
the NRL's persistence with 2GB as exclusive broadcaster is really annoying and I can't fathom it myself

ParraEelsNRL said:
Does anyone have the link for RH and the funny abuse he went on with during the Olympic games?

I'd love to send it to media watch or something and ask them why a guy like this can be allowed to call any sport on any bloody radio station in the country.

Someone posted it at this site during 2003, anyone know where abouts?

Thanks.

(looks like it's up to the fans to get this prick removed)

i dont have the audio but here is a small article on it;

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/03/1093939141357.html?from=storyrhs
Ray of enlightenment

The big wigs at 2GB have probably made a wise decision to keep Ray "the Howler" Hadley well away from the station's Paralympics coverage when the Games begin in Athens on September 17. The 2GB program director, John Brennan, said there were no plans for Hadley to be in Athens to cover the event, as he was for the Olympics. The station has the rights to cover both Games. Hadley has been the talk of Sydney for a bootleg recording of an expletive-ridden tirade he launched into during his commentary of the Athens Games. Dropping the F word 20 times in just 90 seconds, Hadley repeatedly referred to a colleague back in Sydney as a spastic.
"I'm working with a f---ing idiot ... Wouldn't know what f---ing day it is ... he's a f---ing spastic. He's a spastic as a reporter and he's a spastic as a ..." The Australian Paralympic Committee has not received an apology from Hadley or 2GB for the derogatory remarks, which were made off air but have since been widely broadcast, although Hadley has offered a public apology for his tirade.

Brutus

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
thank God for the ABC !

but even then when a sat night rugby test is on that usually gets preference, possibly even a sat night waratahs game:x

i still remember hadley when 2gb got the exclusive rights when he was at 2ue , he was spewing!

I really think the NRL are scared of Alan Jones ( a major shareholder in 2gb) amd ray hadley.

The NRL are scared of a bloke that piles sh*t on the game and its players for a living (Hadley). Instead of being scared with the idiot they should be telling him where to go because he treats the code with disdain anyway.

I agree the ABC coverage is great, but they are not totally committed to RL. We all know what they'd prefer to call when a union Test is on. The league gets shafted giving a total blackout of Saturday night coverage because that great rugby league station (2GB) prefer some horoscope show instead.

This decision by the NRL also robs many regional supporters of coverage.

ocko

juniors
i dont mind the abc calling the union tests, as they involve a national team, and also keep in mind that the abc as a public broadcaster has an obligation to give everyone a go.

ocko

juniors
disgraceful decision by the nrl to keep giving exclusive rights to 2gb and their sh*t though.

Brutus

Referee
ocko said:
i dont mind the abc calling the union tests, as they involve a national team, and also keep in mind that the abc as a public broadcaster has an obligation to give everyone a go.

Like they do in Melbourne hey :roll:

ocko said:

they should use radio national then, just like they do for the AFL.

in sydney i have no doubt that a good NRL game would be more popular than some rubbish test match that means nothing( unless its the Bledisloe)

ocko

juniors
newsradio is what you're referring to herbert, not radio national.

maybe the nrl could be put on newsradio when union is on. newsradio should also run nrl calls in non-rl states like it does with afl up here.

Azkatro

First Grade
I've only got the remix someone did of that audio to the tune of Shut Up by the Black Eyed Peas :)