What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Quidgybo

Bench
It will take a lot of convincing to move from battery powered radios to streaming android devices when it comes to simple radio.

Why would you complicate something so simple for basically sfa of a reward for the complication. I'll take the radio for a battery life of months and simple reliability. I'll stream it when I need to as well - but one is not going to replace the other.

The House of Lords commitee who examined this disagree with you...

Select Committee on Communications said:
It is likely that IPTV services will become ever more widespread, and eventually the case for transferring the carriage of broadcast content, including public service broadcasting, from spectrum to the internet altogether will become overwhelming. This may well be a more sensible arrangement, as spectrum is perfectly suited to mobile applications, as Richard Hooper, OBE, Chairman of the Broadband Stakeholder Group, told us:

?Most people watch their television in fixed locations from fixed sets. Actually, spectrum?s great wonder is its ability for mobility.?

As such, it might be argued that spectrum?s current use for fixed, broadcast purposes is wasteful.

We recommend that the Government, Ofcom and the industry begin to consider the desirability of the transfer of terrestrial broadcast content from spectrum to the internet and the consequent switching off of broadcast transmission over spectrum, and in particular what the consequences of this might be and how we ought to begin to prepare.

Emphasis from original report.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201213/ldselect/ldcomuni/41/4106.htm#a18

From a technology point of view, why would you maintain multiple different standards and uses of the wireless spectrum (AM, FM, VHF, UHF, DVB-T, ATSC, DAB, GSM), some of them very inefficient uses of the spectrum (as analogue generally is)? Ultimately it's all just data and the Internet is the one platform that the world is standardising on for the delivery of data whether it be to a computer, a phone, a tablet, a television, a home security system, an electricty meter, or even a radio. And as the urge for ever more wireless Internet (ie. data) capacity grows ever stronger, every other user of that spectrum will eventually get forced off. You can fight that tide as much as you like but that's where it's headed.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
The bottom line is we want more radio stations devoting their valuable air time to rugby league. We also want greater choice. Just like we had back in 1999 and the years prior.

For years 2GB never gave a rats arse about calling the 7.30pm game on a sat night leaving a total RL radio blackout whenever the ABC decided to call a union game.

All of a sudden in 2012 they start calling 7.30 games. What a coincidence they start doing this when they know the pressure will be on to retain their exclusivity at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Loving the cynicism... complaining that 2GB have dedicated extra air time to rugby league. :lol:

In terms of footy talk we're actually quite spoiled for choice now - Triple M at breakfast, lunch and dinner time each weekday I think, plus 2GB/ABC all weekend, and going back to Triple M - DSL and The Offload on Saturdays. Not to mention Monday night footy.

Ultimately it comes down to what they can arrange. I think the ideal scenario would be to have certain stations doing certain days rather than carte blanche for anyone interested. Too risky and I dare say too costly.

I would completely ignore 2GB's threat to walk away if they didn't get the commercial rights.:)

There is no way they will do that. They like harp on about how great they do in the ratings so they won't
all of sudden cut their RL coverage just because they are no longer the exclusive commercial rights holders.

I will be extremely filthy if the ARLC takes any bullshit from 2GB on this one.

It's about time rugby league fans and the game as a whole were put first. It would be awesome for Triple M to call multiple games and 2ue to provide a proper commercial AM coverage.

I have faith in the ARLC on this one, but if they f**k it up...

we can only hope they walk away! they are a blight on the game!

Parra

Referee
so what percentage of footy fans are out in their tractors on Monday nights?

I'm not going to make up pretend stats to back up my points. I'll leave that to you and the other self-appointed experts and ratings fanciers.

My point is that every game should be on the radio for everyone to hear, on as many stations who'd like to do it. f**k your reliance on number crunching or defence of the status quo.

Brutus

Referee
we can only hope they walk away! they are a blight on the game!

Agree.

They dedicate most of their 'rugby league' air time to talking about themselves and not rugby league. Lucky they started calling 7.30pm Sat night games to even the ledger up a bit.

I reckon Triple M should have their coverage increased to at least 3 games per weekend, like the AFL gets with Triple M in Melb.

And if 2UE wants to provide a service to RL fans then they should be allowed to.

2GB should also maintain their coverage, but if they demand exclusivity then they should be told to f**k OFF!!!

Brutus

Referee
I'm not going to make up pretend stats to back up my points. I'll leave that to you and the other self-appointed experts and ratings fanciers.

My point is that every game should be on the radio for everyone to hear, on as many stations who'd like to do it. f**k your reliance on number crunching or defence of the status quo.

And that's where you are spot on.

Don't waste your time replying to the other rubbish.

What does 2GB actually do for the betterment of the game? Love to see every station battling it out against one another to win an audience.Win,win for the NRL with coin in the bank and a win for the listener.

If you've actually listened to an interactive call, you don't even notice the difference.

The crowd/atmosphere noise is still there (effects mics at ground are channelled through the call).

They still normally have a sideline eye at the ground who they cross to.

The only valid point you raise is the last one.

Well no I have never listened to more than a few minutes of that rubbish , but then again I have a little more self respect than to subject myself to that tripe.

But we all know you'll be around to defend Hadley and 2gb whenever there is some criticism.

undertaker

Coach
2GB should also maintain their coverage, but if they demand exclusivity then they should be told to f**k OFF!!!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ra...ght-to-cover-nrl/story-fndujljl-1226451254821

Then asked if 2GB would continue calling matches alongside rival commercial stations, he said: "I think it would be difficult with too many rights holders. This is different to AFL in Melbourne.

"That would be a decision for the (ARL) Commission. We hope to retain the (exclusive) status we have enjoyed for the past couple of years."

Loving the cynicism... complaining that 2GB have dedicated extra air time to rugby league. :lol:

In terms of footy talk we're actually quite spoiled for choice now - Triple M at breakfast, lunch and dinner time each weekday I think, plus 2GB/ABC all weekend, and going back to Triple M - DSL and The Offload on Saturdays. Not to mention Monday night footy.

Ultimately it comes down to what they can arrange. I think the ideal scenario would be to have certain stations doing certain days rather than carte blanche for anyone interested. Too risky and I dare say too costly.

And another post defending your heroes at 2GB.

Fmd , anyone that could put a positive spin on their coverage of the game need to have a serious look at their values.

They're parasites , nothing more.

undertaker

Coach
Would be an absolute disgrace if they didn't do that.

I know what you mean though, they've done this before when there's been no 5.30pm game (just talked crap for 6 hours then come game time ta ta).

I thinking the other day it wasn't that long ago when all stations were barred from calling Friday night games even when matches were delayed at 8.30pm.

f**k we've allowed TV stations to run over the top of us in the past.

That was the situation until as recently as Rd 26 2006. The current tv rights deal commencing the following year (with 2 Friday night games) brought an end to that (however, only the live Friday night game is the one that gets radio coverage)

Mr Twig

It was 2002 - Hadley was at 2UE in 2001 without league rights.
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/NRL_2002/Round_6/Sydney-vs-North_Queensland/summary.html

I remember it was the game Tim Maddison elbowed someone in the head and got 10 weeks.

Hadley started taking talkback calls mid game because the Cowboys were getting smashed.

Last edited:

Once Dead

Bench

Dare I say, the loss of revenue from 'exclusive radio rights' will be easily made up for via the new television broadcasting agreement and the positive exposure garned via access to live rugby league across the states.

As I have stated before in this thread, radio is an unbelievably important medium for the promotion of the game. There are thousands of people in their cars or without Foxtel subscriptions who depend on it for updates and more importantly, diversity of presentation.

Mr Saab

Referee

Costly? Radio brings in pocket change to the NRL

Mr Saab

Referee
RAY Hadley says he is not overly concerned about the prospect of 2GB losing the NRL broadcasting rights. ‘‘Personally, I don’t care if we have the rights,’’ Hadley said. ‘‘The last time the Continuous Call lost the rights in 2000, we kicked the right-holder’s backsides in the ratings. If the NRL go down the same path and exclude the Continuous Call, we will do exactly what we did 11 years ago and embarrass them.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...broadcast-rights/story-e6frexnr-1226453335165

Thats great Raaaaaaaaaay, i hope you do embarass them, but at least we will get some variety and be able to listen to a sation that talks football and not about lingerie, sheds, and food.