What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

The Gunner

Juniors
2GB paid $1million dollars for 3 years and did not prevent any stations from broadcasting Monday nights. The NRL awarded the exclusive Monday rights to MMM. The ABC is allowed to call teams from outside Sydney into their local areas on Monday nights. Last Monday ABC broadcast MNF to North Queensland and Illawarra.

The AFL Radio rights are comparable with NRL rights and certainly no where near $23 million.

The major stumbling block to having open slather for Radio is the lack of facilities at 90% of the grounds. Most Grounds only have 2 or 3 Radio Boxes.

Quidgybo

Bench
We have enough money, let anyone who can be arsed turning up with a microphone broadcast for a nominal fee.
Screw the nominal fee, the only condition I'd have on it is the NRL maintain the right to re-stream any commentary. I should be able to go to NRL.com from anywhere in the world and next to the live match scores have a link to access one or more audio commentaries for each and every match. Free.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
2GB paid $1million dollars for 3 years and did not prevent any stations from broadcasting Monday nights. The NRL awarded the exclusive Monday rights to MMM. The ABC is allowed to call teams from outside Sydney into their local areas on Monday nights. Last Monday ABC broadcast MNF to North Queensland and Illawarra.

The AFL Radio rights are comparable with NRL rights and certainly no where near $23 million.

The major stumbling block to having open slather for Radio is the lack of facilities at 90% of the grounds. Most Grounds only have 2 or 3 Radio Boxes.

That last point is utter rubbish.

It operated just fine with multiple stations before exclusive rights.

2gb were given exclusive AM rights for Monday nights in the Sydney market and chose not to call anything. It prevented the ABC from calling games into the Sydney market and of course 2ue and 2sm.

Parra

Referee
And anyone else. With the advent of internet streaming and all the new digital stations there should have been blanket coverage for years now.

macnaz

Staff member
Who needs Radio Boxes when you can set up a card table on the sideline :D

Well it worked for 80 or more years... Id rather listen to someone in the sewer next to the ground then listen to hadley the merkin.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
There is a horrible rumour on page 19 of the SMH sports section today suggesting 2GB will retain the rights and that Triple M's Monday night call could be under threat.

What an absolute disgrace if true.

El Diablo

Post Whore
There is a horrible rumour on page 19 of the SMH sports section today suggesting 2GB will retain the rights and that Triple M's Monday night call could be under threat.

Rumour #1

There is more to come for NRL clubs with the ARL Commission still to settle on an official radio broadcaster for the next five years. The Inside Back understands representatives of Ray Hadley's Continuous Call Team will front the ARLC today with their proposal, which could also be cause for concern at Triple M, who currently broadcast Monday Night Football. The ABC is the other major player but, with Hadley's involvement, expect 2GB to retain the rights.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/broadcast-deal-ignores-the-games-freethinking-stars-20120822-24mvm.html

This will enrage me if true.

How they keep bending over for that no talent ass clown is beyond me.

I really hoped wih fairfax being involved in radio now there was a good chance to see a spread of broadcasters.

Let's hope they've got this wrong , like most of the TV deal speculation.

Brutus

Referee
So with Hadley's involvement 2GB are expected to retain the rights.

Does he even call games anymore??

My rating of the ARLC will instantly drop if they let these self-promoting tools influence the RL radio landscape again.

Mr Saab

Referee
So with Hadley's involvement 2GB are expected to retain the rights.

Does he even call games anymore??

My rating of the ARLC will instantly drop if they let these self-promoting tools influence the RL radio landscape again.

100%

If other stations are not allowed to call the game then this so called "independent commision" will be no better than Moffett or Gallop.

Dont kid yourself that the IC are some high and mighty group that got league a billion dollars.
The way league rates it was always on the cards to get such money.

NrlCoach

Juniors
lol the Arlc dont shit about the fans they will give to the radio station thats willing to pay the most. just look at the tv deal. its all about the money

Mr Saab

Referee
Cant be about the money when it comes to radio as radio pay nothing compared to TV. All about politics and back scratching

legend

Coach
I doubt Fairfax will get involved as they posted a $2.7 billion loss so I struggle to see where the money would come from to bid for radio rights.

More of the same crap from GB I'm afraid...

I doubt Fairfax will get involved as they posted a $2.7 billion loss so I struggle to see where the money would come from to bid for radio rights.

More of the same crap from GB I'm afraid...

The idea of fairfax getting involved would be if the rights were free.

Having such a big organisation calling rugby league can only be a good thing.

Mr Saab

Referee
Wouldn't it be great to listen to the dulcet tones of Gavin Robertson on 2SM assisting with call of a Rugby League game?

I wouldnt, but, at least we would have variety instead of the same rubbish form 2GB.
Some people like serious league talk (me)
Others like to listen to stories about food, utes, BBQs and whatever else 2GB come up with from 12-5pm on a Saturday.

Latest posts