What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

undertaker

Coach
Paul Murray has had a dig at 2GB about the radio rights this arvo on his 2UE show.

Called it a disgrace that they buy the rights then sit on them. He was reffering to the 7.30 game mostly..

Agreed

The bigger rort is the MNF match. 2GB essentially paid for the rights to stop other stations broadcasting that match, yet they themselves won't broadcast it. Situations like that shouldn't be allowed to happen. Could you imagine Vlad et al. allowing that to happen in the AFL, where Melbournians can currently get access to all 9 games on radio?

If the commision screw this up then they are no better than David Moffett

Agreed

Now that Gallop isn't there to cover Hadley's arse like the previous two radio rights deals in 2006 and 2009, John Grant et al. need to show some balls, stand up to the 'bully' and make the tough decisions

Outside of the game calls, of which they do the bare minimum, they do absolutely nothing.

There are no other footy promotions on the station whatsoever.

So it looks like if you get commercial rights, you get commercial everything.

What an absolute joke.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...move-for-moltzen/story-e6frfgbo-1226055036890

I don't understand how 2GB were allowed to do that when you consider in the AFL that Ch9, who doesn't have the rights, can still get access to all of the top AFL players, coaches and personalities on their Footy Show, as well as their traditionally GF Footy Show. Not just that, Ch9 also covered the AFL Grand Final breakfast, only a few hours before Ch7 or 10 broadcasted the GF pre-game show and main game itself.

...and here we have a situation where 2GB had a hissy fit over an event they themselves wouldn't have given two hoots of promoting, as well as having a hissy fit over another station actually doing something productive for the promotion of the game. I initially laughed my guts off when I read that link, but the laughter was followed by a shaking of the head in disbelief that 2SM couldn't even do a non-game event. Can't imagine how Graeme Hughes must've felt.

Last edited:

Mr Twig

Agreed

The bigger rort is the MNF match. 2GB essentially paid for the rights to stop other stations broadcasting that match, yet they themselves won't broadcast it. Situations like that shouldn't be allowed to happen. Could you imagine Vlad et al. allowing that to happen in the AFL, where Melbournians can currently get access to all 9 games on radio?

I don't understand. Triple M has exclusive rights to MNF and they call the game every week.

What's the big deal with "interactive studios" (ie calling the game remotely off a tv)? The only people who would complain about interactive studios are the actual callers. Television and Foxtel also use "interactive studios". It doesn't make any difference to the listener.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Radio 2GB dedicate 20 hours of coverage to rugby league on a weekend.

Yeah right lol

Havent listened to them for years..

Do they still have the "counselling" and play the trucking songs?

I remember once a caller rang to complain about the lack of football content on the show, and Hadley abused the bloke with a comment something like, "Mate if we were to sit here for 6 hours and talk nothing but Rugby League, our ratings would be zero!"...

A grade douche....

I don't understand. Triple M has exclusive rights to MNF and they call the game every week.

What's the big deal with "interactive studios" (ie calling the game remotely off a tv)? The only people who would complain about interactive studios are the actual callers. Television and Foxtel also use "interactive studios". It doesn't make any difference to the listener.

Actually it does make a difference.

For starters you get the atmosphere of the crowd in the background of the call.

Also if the game is being called from the venue they will have a sideline eye who can keep the listeners up to date with injuries etc.

Lastly being at the ground gives the caller a much better feel for the importance of a match. He can speak to the players and officials before the game , they can catch up with long time club supporters , ex players etc.

undertaker

Coach

Correction. I should've made myself more clear

I meant AM stations, not FM. I know that Triple M got the rights to broadcast MNF. But at the time in 2006, 2SM was bidding for the MNF match and they couldn't because 2GB got the exclusive rights for AM radio and they refused to let 2SM have that match, even though 2SM were prepared to pay (which is exactly like what another poster said about how 2UE offered to pay even more money than 2GB for the 2008 RLWC, but Geoff Carr gave it the RLWC rights to 2GB on a silver platter). However, 2GB had absolutely no plans to cover the MNF match. So, essentially, 2GB paid money to stop other commerical stations (AM) calling the MNF match when they themselves had no intention to cover it themselves, whch is exactly like the situation described above when 2GB barred 2SM from hosting that dinner at La Perouse when they themselves never gave a bugger about hosting the event themselves.

When Hadley was at 2UE after they lost the rights in 2000/01, 2GB started pioneering the practise of calling games off the tv monitor in the studio. Hadley was furious at it, and got the NRL to stop 2GB from doing this practise. However, when Hadley went across to 2GB in 2002 and started calling league games again, he eventually started reverting back to the very practise that he condemned. Hypocrisy, ay? Also, just like with bagging out Fatty et al on the Footy Show in the media for so many years after he got the arse back in 1998....only for his CCT show to turn and mimick the very same behaviour he had strenuously condemned...and now he is back on The Footy Show, taking money from Ch9, the station he also bagged out ad nauseum after he was sacked for good in 1998 (before his comeback this year). And what about how he bagged the crap out of the CC Bears bid in the beginning but quickly took a 180 degree turn when his employer, Singo, hopped on board and spearheaded the Bears campaign? Now, whenever the topic of expansion comes up, he bags out NZ, Perth and the Melbourne Storm (regarding the Storm, he did during the Storm salary cap scandal discussion in 2010 on The Matty Johns Show and was 100% adamant that the Storm wouldn't survive, it would fold and a team would be installed on the CC. The video of that clip is on YouTube) and at any opportunity spruiks the CC bid?

And the list goes on and on and on and on.........

In conclusion, it's very easy to see why the individual is devoid of any soul when it has been whored out over the years for 30 pieces of silver (metaphorically speaking). A very straightforward explanation why many ppl today get to a certain position not because of talent nor hard work.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee

2GB had exclusive AM rights to Monday night footy and they chose not to do anything with it.

This prevented the ABC covering games into Sydney and Brisbane and any other am network.

A disgraceful situation.

Brutus

Referee
Correction. I should've made myself more clear

I meant AM stations, not FM. I know that Triple M got the rights to broadcast MNF. But at the time in 2006, 2SM was bidding for the MNF match and they couldn't because 2GB got the exclusive rights for AM radio and they refused to let 2SM have that match, even though 2SM were prepared to pay (which is exactly like what another poster said about how 2UE offered to pay even more money than 2GB for the 2008 RLWC, but Geoff Carr gave it the RLWC rights to 2GB on a silver platter). However, 2GB had absolutely no plans to cover the MNF match. So, essentially, 2GB paid money to stop other commerical stations (AM) calling the MNF match when they themselves had no intention to cover it themselves, whch is exactly like the situation described above when 2GB barred 2SM from hosting that dinner at La Perouse when they themselves never gave a bugger about hosting the event themselves.

When Hadley was at 2UE after they lost the rights in 2000/01, 2GB started pioneering the practise of calling games off the tv monitor in the studio. Hadley was furious at it, and got the NRL to stop 2GB from doing this practise. However, when Hadley went across to 2GB in 2002 and started calling league games again, he eventually started reverting back to the very practise that he condemned. Hypocrisy, ay? Also, just like with bagging out Fatty et al on the Footy Show in the media for so many years after he got the arse back in 1998....only for his CCT show to turn and mimick the very same behaviour he had strenuously condemned...and now he is back on The Footy Show, taking money from Ch9, the station he also bagged out ad nauseum after he was sacked for good in 1998 (before his comeback this year). And what about how he bagged the crap out of the CC Bears bid in the beginning but quickly took a 180 degree turn when his employer, Singo, hopped on board and spearheaded the Bears campaign? Now, whenever the topic of expansion comes up, he bags out NZ, Perth and the Melbourne Storm (regarding the Storm, he did during the Storm salary cap scandal discussion in 2010 on The Matty Johns Show and was 100% adamant that the Storm wouldn't survive, it would fold and a team would be installed on the CC. The video of that clip is on YouTube) and at any opportunity spruiks the CC bid?

And the list goes on and on and on and on.........

In conclusion, it's very easy to see why the individual is devoid of any soul when it has been whored out over the years for 30 pieces of silver (metaphorically speaking). A very straightforward explanation why many ppl today get to a certain position not because of talent nor hard work.

And who can forget his amazing Superleague backflip..

undertaker

Coach
2GB had exclusive AM rights to Monday night footy and they chose not to do anything with it.

This prevented the ABC covering games into Sydney and Brisbane and any other am network.

A disgraceful situation.

Yep, the restriction applies to ABC as well. However, in the regional areas like the Hunter Region and South Coast/Wollongong, the ABC is only allowed to broadcast if the Knights or Dragons are playing on MNF.

So Mr Twig, since Triple M is only available in the cities (i.e. in the NRL's case, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne (and Melbourne only get games if the Storm is playing)), if you live outside of the city in a country area like Wagga Wagga and you don't have Fox Sports/Austar, you have....that's right....ZERO coverage of MNF.

I remember a funny situation: I went to the Roosters/Knights Sunday 2pm game at Gosford in 2008 (for those who don't remember, the one where the Knights scored 4 tries in the last 12 mins to come from behind and win, including the Danny Wicks 70m try on full-time. It was the Centenary round IIRC). I was listening to the first half of the game on ABC with my radio headset, before at 3pm, ABC started to cover the Tigers/Souffs game instead. So, there was absolutely no coverage of the 2nd half on radio in the CC. I feel for those ppl on the CC who were unable to make the game and listened to it on radio, only for the broadcast to be cutoff at half-time.

P.S. Regarding coverage of NRL in the Hunter, it has changed quite a bit since I used to live there. When 2HD took the 2UE/2GB feed, we got both the Saturday and Sunday games. Now that KO-FM takes the 2GB feed, if the Knights aren't playing on Sunday, there is no RL on any commercial radio station in the Hunter on Sunday. If you live close enough to the border of the Hunter and Central Coast, you can get reception from Star 104.5FM which is the official NRL commercial broadcaster on the Central Coast, and they also cover the Sunday game.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Yep, the restriction applies to ABC as well. However, in the regional areas like the Hunter Region and South Coast/Wollongong, the ABC is only allowed to broadcast if the Knights or Dragons are playing on MNF.

So Mr Twig, since Triple M is only available in the cities (i.e. in the NRL's case, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne (and Melbourne only get games if the Storm is playing)), if you live outside of the city in a country area like Wagga Wagga and you don't have Fox Sports/Austar, you have....that's right....ZERO coverage of MNF.

you could listen to Triple M on the internet

undertaker

Coach
And who can forget his amazing Superleague backflip..

:lol:

I also laugh at that infamous moment (I think it was a Roosters match) where he cut the broadcast of it because he thought it was boring and that people would prefer listening to him talking about non-RL matters than the game?:lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Actually it does make a difference.

For starters you get the atmosphere of the crowd in the background of the call.

Also if the game is being called from the venue they will have a sideline eye who can keep the listeners up to date with injuries etc.

Lastly being at the ground gives the caller a much better feel for the importance of a match. He can speak to the players and officials before the game , they can catch up with long time club supporters , ex players etc.
If you've actually listened to an interactive call, you don't even notice the difference.

The crowd/atmosphere noise is still there (effects mics at ground are channelled through the call).

They still normally have a sideline eye at the ground who they cross to.

The only valid point you raise is the last one.

Mr Saab

Referee

I also laugh at that infamous moment (I think it was a Roosters match) where he cut the broadcast of it because he thought it was boring and that people would prefer listening to him talking about non-RL matters than the game?:lol:

They did that a few times. Cant believe they were allowed to get away with it.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

:lol: what year was this? I vaguely remember it.

The other one I remember is him wanting to stop calling a game because it didn't matter when Princess Diana passed away. I think they went on with it but it was the quietest I've ever heard him.

El Diablo

Post Whore
he also started to call Swans games when he was at 2UE as part of his tanty when they lost the rights

Big Sam

First Grade
:lol: what year was this? I vaguely remember it.

IIRC it was Roosters v Souths in 2006. The ball handling was so dire that he decided to call parts of the Dogs/Sharks game off the fox coverage going on at the same time at ANZ.

In the end the Roosters only won 22-20 so it was a close game and Hadley's judgement was wrong.