What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Brutus

Referee
Interesting comments by Mattiske regarding radio rights today on Sky Sports Radio.

He said the ARLC had outlined a range of objectives to the broadcasters as to what they wanted from radio and that involved improving coverage for regional/country areas. Also better coverage of the 8 games across the weekend and that will involve more than one commercial broadcaster. He also stressed the FM demographic was very important to them.

bartman

Immortal
Thank goodness they are moving away from exclusive rights - like the TV deal, radio deals should be about how many games can stations commit to call, ensuring live coverage for all games.

Hadley can still have his 2 x 6hr shows full of non-footy content and comedy if he likes, but the rights deal should be offered elsewhere to serious professional coverage of the games along with promoting league in general. Just like we used to have (even years ago under Hadley) - talkback, discussion (with minimal ego-driven comedy) and most importantly calling the games.

Mr Saab

Referee
Until it happens, i still believe the radio rights will not be changed....just like the TV

Brutus

Referee
Until it happens, i still believe the radio rights will not be changed....just like the TV

I won't be happy unless 2UE are given a chance to be involved.

If they want to call some games then they should bloody well be allowed.

I won't be happy unless 2UE are given a chance to be involved.

If they want to call some games then they should bloody well be allowed.

The most amazing thing about 2UE being constantly locked out of broadcasting is they give more time to the game than 2GB Monday to Friday through sports today.

And unlike 2gb they talk about serious issues in the game.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Interesting comments by Mattiske regarding radio rights today on Sky Sports Radio.

He said the ARLC had outlined a range of objectives to the broadcasters as to what they wanted from radio and that involved improving coverage for regional/country areas. Also better coverage of the 8 games across the weekend and that will involve more than one commercial broadcaster. He also stressed the FM demographic was very important to them.

That's quite interesting, I wonder if any commercial FM stations would be interested in broadcasting them? Some of the regional ones may but for Sydney I'm not sure if it fits their "profiles" outside of Triple M.

typicalfan

Coach
I can see Triple M getting more of the radio rights next time. I could see them doing a Saturday night game at least. It would suit their demographic and enhances their ratings.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Debbie is hopeless.

She's hardly watched RL since 1997 and it shows. She's also an amateur behind the mic. She'd go well on 2SM.

Why they went away from using Morrow and Warren Ryan as the main focus of ABC RL Grandstand I'll never know.

Want to echo this. Loved listening to Morrow and Wok on a Sunday with their unstructured few hours of talk.

Now we have Debbie and 40 useless segments before 2pm. So there's an absolutely boatload of news this week and there's time being wasted on how Gary Belcher thinks he could go in the modern game and if Mick Cronin knows what Tony Cossato is up to these days. Let alone that stupid "stats" segment, which usually doesn't have many stats in it let alone analysis of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the first significant talk of the broadcast deal was at around 12:40 when Shane Richardson joined the show. NSW coach didn't rate a mention until the second hour when Debbie asked Anderson about his interview and I doubt they would have even mentioned Isaac Luke unless it was brought up in the paper segment.

I can cop Spillane as a host but the useless segments have to go.

Brutus

Referee
Want to echo this. Loved listening to Morrow and Wok on a Sunday with their unstructured few hours of talk.

Now we have Debbie and 40 useless segments before 2pm. So there's an absolutely boatload of news this week and there's time being wasted on how Gary Belcher thinks he could go in the modern game and if Mick Cronin knows what Tony Cossato is up to these days. Let alone that stupid "stats" segment, which usually doesn't have many stats in it let alone analysis of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the first significant talk of the broadcast deal was at around 12:40 when Shane Richardson joined the show. NSW coach didn't rate a mention until the second hour when Debbie asked Anderson about his interview and I doubt they would have even mentioned Isaac Luke unless it was brought up in the paper segment.

I can cop Spillane as a host but the useless segments have to go.

I fully agree with the "useless segment" bit.

The only time "The hit Up" is worth listening to is when Mascord's on or when they do the odd good interview with the movers and shakers in the game like they did with Richardson and Mattiske today.

The Morrow, Wok unstructured stuff was the best.

undertaker

Coach

On the topic of radio coverage (I posted this in the tv rights thread as well), given the way the results have panned out this week regarding the TV rights, I don't know why but I have a very bad hunch that 2GB will get the "exclusive" rights again. I really do hope I am proven wrong regarding the "exclusivity" component.

As Mr Saab said, if the ARLC stuff THIS up, they are no better than the previous administration.

undertaker

Coach
Ah...Debbie Spillaine. Talk about a blast from the past. How on earth did she manage to rear that head of hers back onto RL coverage after being in oblivion for so many years? Sure she's not the long lost sister of Fatty? I still remember that SL show she used to do on the ABC every Sunday evening at 5pm during 1997.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
The Cronin segment was poor - they kept trying to put words in his mouth "Must have been an emotional moment for you?" and Mick Cronin would say "no it wasn't", or in some other way not play along with their agenda, which was to put Debbie Spilane's own melodramatic spin on his last year at Parra. Then when he strayed into somewhat controversial territory by saying the problems at Parra are with the board not the coach, she cut him off, when a decent journo would have tried to get him to open up.

jimmee007

Juniors
This is a thought from left field:

What the ARLC went any radio station that wanted to cover league and asked them all for contra only deals. Trying to maximise the amount of stations covering the game. The cash from the the last radio rights was about $3million if i take what I read here. So there isn't a great deal to be lost.

I believe we would be much better served having a variety of radio stations covering multiple games on a weekend and each of those stations having advertising timeslots filled with pro NRL advertising throughout their normal programming.

- You would convince triple M Sydney and Brisbane to thorw in Melbourne advertising slots as part of their deal.
- 2UE and 4BC to have 3AW slots as part of theirs.

We have used the TV coverage to gain money for the game over exposure lets go full tilt the other way with radio and their advertising. Lets use this to get into ears and heads of as many people as possible around the country. Let them know when our games are on, NRL intiatives, Membership drives, etc.

It could just be crazy enough to work, who knows?

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Anyone wanting real rugby league humour on the radio, turn FBI radio now and listen to Fire Up.

They are giving it to Slothfield and Weidler lol

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...cept-shield-in-tigers-den-20120830-253cg.html

Brisbane bolter?

Could the game's new chief executive be a dark horse from Brisbane? With ARL Commission chairman John Grant having confirmed last week's report in Sin Bin that Mattiske had not been interviewed, mystery surrounds the identity of the third contender vying for the job with AFL deputy Gillon McLachlan and Racing NSW boss Peter V'landys. Sin Bin has been hearing for some time that a candidate in Brisbane was among those to have been interviewed but his identity has not yet emerged.

Brutus

Referee
2ue called the AFL this afternoon.

What a shame they didn't have RL rights.

Maybe they will in a couple of weeks.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Sorry to beat a dead horse but they did it again on ABC today. Good discussion going on video refs after replaying the interview with Harrigan and Morrow. Some listener ideas came up, each of them said something very quickly and as the discussion was starting Debbie says "Daniel and I have some ideas on this but we'll hear about them later" so we could hear about Jason Stevens meeting Dave Taylor at Cronulla beach.

At least they had a segment on the RL Project.