What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

undertaker

Coach
On the topic of radio coverage (I posted this in the tv rights thread as well), given the way the results have panned out this week regarding the TV rights, I don't know why but I have a very bad hunch that 2GB will get the "exclusive" rights again. I really do hope I am proven wrong regarding the "exclusivity" component.

I agree with the sentiments expressed on here that it is not about the money (as the radio doesn't generate anywhere near the amount the tv rights do, although there is potential to significantly grow the $ from it as is seen in the AFL radio rights), but about increasing the exposure to the majority of people who don't have Foxtel (which is about 2/3rds of Australian households). It just shows how pathetic it is that 2GB have started covering the Sat 7:30pm game this year, just like Ch9 started showing games on GEM to Victoria/South Australia/Western Australia.

You can take the piss out of 2SM all you want for being such an amateur station (mainly attributed to the tightarse Bill Carsalis, as Lawsy has found out during his tenure there), but incidents such as the barring of them hosting that NSW Origin function at La Perouse last year because 2GB/Hadley et al. had a hissy fit over an event that they themselves wouldn't have given a stuff about (hypocrisy, ay?) should NEVER, EVER be allowed to happen from next year. I applaud 2SM, who don't have the rights, for trying to do something that promotes the game rather than using the game as a means of promoting their own personalities and vested interests like the CCT on 2GB does. I genuinely do feel for Graeme Hughes when you consider that Ch9, who don't have the AFL rights, still manage to get exclusive access to the top players and coaches on their Footy Show and the AFL Grand Final breakfast, which is held just hours before Ch7 (or 10 in the past) commenced their Grand Final coverage

As Mr Saab said, if the ARLC stuff THIS up, they are no better than the previous administration.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I wouldnt, but, at least we would have variety instead of the same rubbish form 2GB.
Some people like serious league talk (me)
Others like to listen to stories about food, utes, BBQs and whatever else 2GB come up with from 12-5pm on a Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDsxuDTJnHs

The video link above is the personification of everything associated with 2GB's CCT coverage when they are not calling matches. To think they have paid for the "exclusive" rights and the commentators get paid to talk about that exclusive purile crap in the video is nauseating. I mean, could you imagine how Demetriou et al. would react if one of the AFL radio stations tried to emulate that?

Interesting to see how much the CCT has changed since the days of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UTzCvmA60A

I dunno about you guys (be interested to hear your thoughts on this), but the rot set in when the CCT reclaimed the rights in 2002. As someone who listened to the CCT regularly in the mid-late '90s as a youngster, itt was during 2002 I notice the dramatic change in their content. I think they sort of took it for granted that they got the rights back (like the English cricket team of the 2005 Ashes) and they thought they could do whatever the hell they wanted to. This was accompanied by Hadley's ever increasing ego when he also got a permanent morning talk-back show slot. Before 2002, he was just a RL commentator who occasionally filled in for John Laws (as someone else said, he is bitter and paranoid over Lawsy even though Lawsy is a station which isn't in the Sydney ratings, because Lawsy taught him everything he knew in talkback radio, as well as giving him a start in this role by allowing Hadley to fill in for him when he was sick). The other example of the increasing arrogance from Hadley was that year when he cut the broadcast of the Roosters/Cowboys game because it was boring.

I admit I was a fan back in the '90s on 2UE. Great to listen to Peter Frilingos, such a shame that people like Rothfield are infiltrating RL media these days and give top quality journos like Chippy a bad name when they masquerade as journalists.

Last edited:
On the topic of radio coverage (I posted this in the tv rights thread as well), given the way the results have panned out this week regarding the TV rights, I don't know why but I have a very bad hunch that 2GB will get the "exclusive" rights again. I really do hope I am proven wrong regarding the "exclusivity" component.

I agree with the sentiments expressed on here that it is not about the money (as the radio doesn't generate anywhere near the amount the tv rights do, although there is potential to significantly grow the $ from it as is seen in the AFL radio rights), but about increasing the exposure to the majority of people who don't have Foxtel (which is about 2/3rds of Australian households). It just shows how pathetic it is that 2GB have started covering the Sat 7:30pm game this year, just like Ch9 started showing games on GEM to Victoria/South Australia/Western Australia.

You can take the piss out of 2SM all you want for being such an amateur station (mainly attributed to the tightarse Bill Carsalis, as Lawsy has found out during his tenure there), but incidents such as the barring of them hosting that NSW Origin function at La Perouse last year because 2GB/Hadley et al. had a hissy fit over an event that they themselves wouldn't have given a stuff about (hypocrisy, ay?) should NEVER, EVER be allowed to happen from next year. I applaud 2SM, who don't have the rights, for trying to do something that promotes the game rather than using the game as a means of promoting their own personalities and vested interests like the CCT on 2GB does. I genuinely do feel for Graeme Hughes when you consider that Ch9, who don't have the AFL rights, still manage to get exclusive access to the top players and coaches on their Footy Show and the AFL Grand Final breakfast, which is held just hours before Ch7 (or 10 in the past) commenced their Grand Final coverage

As Mr Saab said, if the ARLC stuff THIS up, they are no better than the previous administration.

Top summation Taker.

Brutus

Referee
The Deadset Legends on Triple M should be renamed "Ray Warren talks about himself for a couple of hours"

Mr Saab

Referee
Boring show. Although yes i still listen to it. Fat quaddie Freedman say he has no problems watching delayed rugby league.
He must want a job at channel 9.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
We don't need exclusive radio rights, not for the paltry sums being paid.

Make it open slather, whoever wants to cover the matches should be allowed to do so.

I bet we then get a few stations rather than the situation we have now.

nrlnrl

First Grade
The Deadset Legends on Triple M should be renamed "Ray Warren talks about himself for a couple of hours"

yep & 2GB should be Hypocrites Who Think They're Funny ( haven't listened to it in years, but assume it's the same junk )

Rosetta

Juniors
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, perhaps reading too much into this but Hadley during his usual preamble to start the CC today mentioned the ARLC still had the mobile, online and NZ rights to negotiate, nothing about the radio rights. He also said that the team enjoys talking rugby league with some fun thrown in. (he always goes on about how it's BORING to talk league) The entire 50 minutes to open the show has been dedicated to league, now even phone calls about league issues, something obviously happened in his meeting with the ARLC yesterday - told to shape up or ship out perhaps!?

Brutus

Referee
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, perhaps reading too much into this but Hadley during his usual preamble to start the CC today mentioned the ARLC still had the mobile, online and NZ rights to negotiate, nothing about the radio rights. He also said that the team enjoys talking rugby league with some fun thrown in. (he always goes on about how it's BORING to talk league) The entire 50 minutes to open the show has been dedicated to league, now even phone calls about league issues, something obviously happened in his meeting with the ARLC yesterday - told to shape up or ship out perhaps!?

I don't think so. I just flicked over to see if they were calling the Penrith game and they were talking about ham sandwiches.

They must not get exclusive rights again.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I was in the car this afternoon, started listening to ABC Grandstand and there was some good league discussion for 15 minutes or so. Then Debbie Spillane started dribbling on about Maria Sharopova having a lolly named after her & then wondered out loud which other sportspeople could have lollies named after them and what would the name of the lollies be. "Here we go..." I thought - at least 20 minutes of pointless time filling coming up, with plenty lof lame audience 'humorous' suggestions. I was switching over as she was saying something about the facebook page; also known as trying to drive a bit of traffic there. Switched to GB, forget what they were on about but it wasn't league talk, just some fake Aussie blokiness. That was it for me, switched off the radio. I hope that 2UE do get to call the league and run a proper 6 hour talk about football show like we had in the 1980s.
I was back in the car around 5pm and tuned in to Grandstand to hear the end of the Panthers warriors game. good call, and Warren Ryan was in fine form - great analysis and some good jokes. After that Grandstand was going to call the union rather than the later league game.

Mr Saab

Referee
Debbie really brings down the show. Dont let us down for the 2nd time "independant commission"

Brutus

Referee
Debbie is hopeless.

She's hardly watched RL since 1997 and it shows. She's also an amateur behind the mic. She'd go well on 2SM.

Why they went away from using Morrow and Warren Ryan as the main focus of ABC RL Grandstand I'll never know.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I don't mind Daniel Anderson, but Debbie Spillane is third rate amateur hour. Much preferred the old format with Wok & Morrow chatting, doing interviews and analysis.