What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

oldmancraigy

Coach
I can tell you the reason that 2GB has the exclusive commercial rights: the NRL is scared of Hadley.

I was speaking to someone at the NRL about it before the rights were negotiated, they agreed with me that it would be better to spread the games around, but they were terrified of what happened last time Hadley was banned from broadcasting (everyone just listened to his show anyway).

The official reason that came out was that nobody listened to "talking sport" and so therefore they shouldn't be given a chance to bid.

Solution: just start listening to different stations and their league shows AND send the NRL emails telling them that (a) you listen to these shows and (b) you would love to hear more footy called.

It's that simple, Hadley won't have exclusive rights!

Brutus

Referee
2GB will end up owning 2UE and 3AW.

Fairfax Media has announced that it intends to start a formal sale process for its metropolitan and regional radio assets, including Sydney's 2UE, Melbourne's 3AW/Magic 1278, Brisbane's 4BC/4BH and Perth's 6PR. Analysts value the radio network around $250 million.

www.jocksjournal.com

Oh well, listening to 2UE these days, they'd fit nicely into the Macquarie stable.

Let's hope both stations can call the footy.

I'm guessing 4BC in Brisbane will also be bought. They're already taking Macquarie content in the form of the CC team.

Brutus

Referee
I can tell you the reason that 2GB has the exclusive commercial rights: the NRL is scared of Hadley.

It's also the reason weak Colin Love gave 2GB the World Cup radio rights, despite 2UE offering to call all of the games and pay more money to do so.

Hadley had Love running scared.

When they took the rights of Hadley last time, he wasn't allowed to call games and was far less influential in the Sydney media than he is now.

The thing is, next time around, they don't have to take the rights off anyone. Just spread them around and ensure EVERY game and/or timeslot is covered in NSW. If 2SM want to call Monday night games to help out country NSW through their networks then f**king let them!!! Especially when the network with the commercial AM rights chooses not to.

BDGS

Bench
Yeah that's the rhetoric that Gallop always comes out with. Hence why the game has gone backwards under his regime

Not to mention that he’s so good at grandstanding he should’ve been standing for state parliament

The game has gone backwards?

Aren't memberships up?
Aren't we talking about getting a billion dollar deal?
isn't the game still alive and healthy after the war?
Isn't the competition as close as ever?
Aren't crowds up since the SL war?
Isn't the NRL seen in more places then ever before?

I don't mind bagging the guy but come to state the game has gone backwards is stupid.

Sure the sport may not have grown as fast as other sports have in this country, but we have never gone backwards apart from the SL war.

Gallop has done fine job under the circumstances and pressures that has come in his time.

It's also the reason weak Colin Love gave 2GB the World Cup radio rights, despite 2UE offering to call all of the games and pay more money to do so.

Hadley had Love running scared.

When they took the rights of Hadley last time, he wasn't allowed to call games and was far less influential in the Sydney media than he is now.

The thing is, next time around, they don't have to take the rights off anyone. Just spread them around and ensure EVERY game and/or timeslot is covered in NSW. If 2SM want to call Monday night games to help out country NSW through their networks then f**king let them!!! Especially when the network with the commercial AM rights chooses not to.

And hopefully when the independent commision finally gets up we will have sensible decisions made in regards to radio rights.

I honestly doubt though that macquarie will hold on to 2UE. They might buy it in the package and then on sell it. The real prize for them is 3AW and possibly to a lesser extent 4bc & 6pr.

Hopefully 2UE can find a strong owner willing to take it up to 2GB with some quality NRL commentary & shows.

I was speaking to someone at the NRL about it before the rights were negotiated, they agreed with me that it would be better to spread the games around, but they were terrified of what happened last time Hadley was banned from broadcasting (everyone just listened to his show anyway).

The official reason that came out was that nobody listened to "talking sport" and so therefore they shouldn't be given a chance to bid.

Solution: just start listening to different stations and their league shows AND send the NRL emails telling them that (a) you listen to these shows and (b) you would love to hear more footy called.

It's that simple, Hadley won't have exclusive rights!

I had a feeling this could be the case.This has to be one of the immediate things the IC has to act on.Open up radio for any station that wants to call matches.

eelandia

Juniors
And hopefully when the independent commision finally gets up we will have sensible decisions made in regards to radio rights.

I honestly doubt though that macquarie will hold on to 2UE. They might buy it in the package and then on sell it. The real prize for them is 3AW and possibly to a lesser extent 4bc & 6pr.

Hopefully 2UE can find a strong owner willing to take it up to 2GB with some quality NRL commentary & shows.

And not try and mimic the far right wing nutter DJs and ludicrous football commentary, if you can call it that.

eelandia

Juniors
I had a feeling this could be the case.This has to be one of the immediate things the IC has to act on.Open up radio for any station that wants to call matches.

Not being able to call games has mean't that Talkin Sport on 2SM has been replaced on Saturdays. It is a shame as this program is doing its best to promote League at every opportunity. In fact, they had advertised a State of Origin dinner at a restaurant (Danny's Seafood, I think) but it was cancelled because it contravened the radio rights deal.

I think Raaay made a stink about another radio station being linked to the game so the NSWRL had to can it. NSWRL said it was their fault for not reading the fine print in the radio rights contract. This is despite a couple of weeks of advertising on 2SM and at the last minute...Raaay had his way.

Not being able to call games has mean't that Talkin Sport on 2SM has been replaced on Saturdays. It is a shame as this program is doing its best to promote League at every opportunity. In fact, they had advertised a State of Origin dinner at a restaurant (Danny's Seafood, I think) but it was cancelled because it contravened the radio rights deal.

I think Raaay made a stink about another radio station being linked to the game so the NSWRL had to can it. NSWRL said it was their fault for not reading the fine print in the radio rights contract. This is despite a couple of weeks of advertising on 2SM and at the last minute...Raaay had his way.

Thats how I read it.Hopefully the IC will address the Hadley issue.

Agree - hopefully the IC will play a role in ending the Hadley bullying.

In saying that, I don't know why Hadley worries about 2SM. They don't participate in the ratings - he seems obsessed with Laws. Triple M also are not really a threat to his station. Meanwhile he is all chummy with the ABC, who are his biggest competitors in the ratings. Go figure.

The Gunner

Juniors
The major reason there's only 2 radio stations calling the game is because there's insufficient broadcast facilities for any more than 2 radio stations. Even ANZ is limited to 3 boxes at best.

The major reason there's only 2 radio stations calling the game is because there's insufficient broadcast facilities for any more than 2 radio stations. Even ANZ is limited to 3 boxes at best.

There were no problems in the 80s and 90s with multiple broadcasts.

Besides most grounds have adequate facilities for at least 3 stations calling the one game.

And even if they didnt we are not necessarily talking about the same games being called.

7.30 on a sat only has one broadcaster atm , there are usually two games in this slot.

Monday only has one broadcaster.

There are plenty of options to get more radio stations involved.

eelandia

Juniors

In saying that, I don't know why Hadley worries about 2SM. They don't participate in the ratings - he seems obsessed with Laws. Triple M also are not really a threat to his station. Meanwhile he is all chummy with the ABC, who are his biggest competitors in the ratings. Go figure.

I reckon that because they aren't a threat from an advertising revenue perspective, he can cop them. Although I do remember him bagging out Warren Ryan and questioning his contribution to the ABC broadcast some time back, but that was just a personal bitche which he seems to be a repeat offender of.

I think there is some law from the Goverment that requires the involvement of the ABC in sport.

Rexxy

Coach

it wasn't a problem in the past when KY, SM, GB, UE and BL ALL called games? . How did ANZ do the Olympics?

Not saying you are wrong. Maybe they've all be converted into private boxes or used by FOX?

Brutus

Referee
Broadcast facilities are not a problem, even in the most archaic of Sydney grounds.

it wasn't a problem in the past when KY, SM, GB, UE and BL ALL called games? . How did ANZ do the Olympics?

Not saying you are wrong. Maybe they've all be converted into private boxes or used by FOX?

AFL games at ANZ have had numerous radio broadcasts from the ground... MMM (Melb and Syd), ABC, 3AW, SEN, NIRS and Crocmedia.

There isnt a problem with broadcast boxes at ANZ , but at the olympics ( all olympics that is) most of the broadcasters call the action from the stands , in a specific area.