What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Mr Saab

Referee
Andrew Webster confirms triple M and 2GB get the radio rights on page 141 of the telecrap today. The 2 networks are just working out the split of games.

I guess 2SM wont speak to favourably of the ARLC when this is 100% confirmed.

IMO ARLC are no better than Gallop.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I guess 2SM wont speak to favourably of the ARLC when this is 100% confirmed.

IMO ARLC are no better than Gallop.

they doubled what he negotiated for the TV deal

Gallop got $500 million over 6 years

ARLC $1 billion over 5

Mr Saab

Referee
Oh please Diablo...Gallop blew the last deal. Gallop basically sold a 10 bedroom / 6 bathroom / pool / spa / sauna / tennis court in Potts Point for $1 Million when the house was worth $15 Million.
Anyone could have gotten $1Billion this time around.

As for radio rights, the ARLC screwed up again by not giving rights to multiple stations. Esp stations that would dedicate their shows to talking league and not about sheds / trucks / BBQs, or station that plays music every 5 minutes.

Brutus

Referee
Very disappointed but what can you do.

I couldn't see the problem with offering 2ue at least 1 game per weekend just to get them in there and focussing on RL, but bully boy tactics still rule the roost it seems.

Big Sam

First Grade
How will the split work?

MMM get Friday Night, Sunday Night, Monday Night and 2GB Saturdays and Sunday arvo maybe?

docbrown

Coach
I'd say when the entire deal is done it'll ended up tripled.

Need to pick up roughly about $45 million per annum off Internet, Mobile, Radio & NZ rights (& technically the league sponsorship rights too).

Assuming Telstra puts up $20-25m and NZ puts up $14m-$20m it's going to get very close. But again it all depends on what happens there, the NRL may go maverick and opt to market internet and mobile games elsewhere for a small front up cost but a bigger end receipt.

Should get to about $1.24-$1.25 billion all told.

I seem to recall people saying they wouldn't crack $700m. :lol:

Need to pick up roughly about $45 million per annum off Internet, Mobile, Radio & NZ rights (& technically the league sponsorship rights too).

Assuming Telstra puts up $20-25m and NZ puts up $14m-$20m it's going to get very close. But again it all depends on what happens there, the NRL may go maverick and opt to market internet and mobile games elsewhere for a small front up cost but a bigger end receipt.

Should get to about $1.24-$1.25 billion all told.

I seem to recall people saying they wouldn't crack $700m. :lol:

And I'd say they're fairly conservative estimates as well.

It all depends what the the online & digital rights entail, remembering that Foxtel now have rights to stream over mobile devices. If all things remain the same, and taking into consideration that we sold the naming, online and digital rights to Telstra for $90m last time, then who knows what we can achieve. It looks like the NRL may be selling the naming rights separately anyway to squeeze more money out of the deal.

The optimist in me says that we can sell the NZ package for around $120m. Not sure about radio rights, but could we reach $50m?? Dunno.

All things being said, it should be least a 150% pro rata increase on the last deal. Comparatively, our closest competitor fumbleball only managed 60% increase in theirs.

The rights account for roughly 60-70% of the codes revenue, maybe even more, and yet people still defend Gallop & bad mouth the commission. lol.

Starkers

Bench
personally, i can handle another 5 years of ray warren and the other gibberers by knowing that the first and last rights have been eliminated and next time around everyone gets a fair crack.

but if this is true on the radio rights i just don't get it.

doc, can the additional cash from exclusivity be worth it? or have they f**ked the radio deal up?

Starkers

Bench
i guess my point was it could be a great deal offering fans a wide range of stations covering games and plenty of choice. or mostly the same but likely more money than offering it to everyone.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://afr.com/p/business/marketing...or_the_am_radio_rights_Oy7T6ojpruB7fAfCs8ISMI

Networks vie for the AM radio rights to NRL

Ben Holgate and John Stensholt

John Singleton’s Macquarie Radio Network is believed to have edged ahead of Fairfax Media in the race for the NRL AM radio broadcasting rights.

In what may turn out to be a greater sharing of radio rights across multiple broadcasters, Southern Cross Media’s Triple-M FM radio network is understood to be in the running to call more than its current one rugby league game – on Mondays – each week.

Macquarie’s 2GB, which is the incumbent AM rights holder, was close to finalising a deal with the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC), one source close to the negotiations said. However, an ARLC spokesman said no deal had been finalised and no announcement was planned.

It is understood Fairfax Radio is still in discussions with the ARLC and expects to have another meeting with the it this week. There is speculation the ARLC may decide to give Fairfax, which teamed up with Bill Caralis’s regional NSW radio network for the NRL bid, a role in the new agreement for a small number of the eight games a week. Under that scenario Macquarie and Triple-M would share the majority of the games. Fairfax publishes The Australian Financial Review.

It is believed 2GB and Triple-M paid combined $1 million a year under the latest NRL rights deal, which expired at the end of this football season.

Meanwhile, there are mounting concerns that an historic deal between five horse racing bodies to transfer TV broadcasting of the sport to the industry-owned ThoroughbredVision (TVN) network could be delayed until the new year, or even scuppered as negotiations to finalise the deal drag on. TVN is to hold comprehensive rights for NSW and Victoria from January 1, when agreements with rival Sky Channel, owned by gaming company Tabcorp, expire.

There are concerns that rivalries between racing figures in Victoria and NSW have delayed the agreement, which could result in Sky approaching individual racing boards in an attempt to convince them to break ranks from other racing bodies. Sky currently holds rights to broadcast some races in NSW and other states, including Queensland, while TVN has total rights in Victoria. If no agreement is struck by the end of the year, it is likely a series of month-to-month contracts with Sky would have to be signed before a final resolution is agreed to.

TVN chairman and advertising industry figure Harold Mitchell is trying to broker a deal.

Latest posts