What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

H.H

Juniors
Just joining this thread now so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but how much are the radio right worth to the game?

Mr Saab

Referee
The more things change, the more they stay the same. ARLC have done nothing for the past 12 months they have been in power.
Oh sorry, they changed the top 8 system - wow
Oh sorry, they got $1B for the game......please! The game was undersold with Gallop! Even Bunniesman and Skeepe could have negotiated for $1B

F U ARLC.....watse of space

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: @ Hadley complaining and saying they'd call games off TV if they didn't get the rights.

Is it okay for them to do that WHILE THEY HAVE THE RIGHTS because they call it an "interactive studio"?

And what a surprise Saaby claiming the ARLC shit. Typical QLD/Broncos whinging.

Mr Saab

Referee

F U Tim Tam

You are a 2GB loving drone stooge. Why the f**k do we have to put up with archaic coverage of the game on radio.
FFS in 1993 i recall we had 2KY , 2UE, 2GB, ABC calling the games.

19 yrs later we are down to 2 AM stations....pathetic....no f**kING PATHETIC
Radio brings nothing to the game as far as $$$$$$$ is concerned for broadcast rights.

Continue fapping over 2GB when they talk about ladies underwear

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If you read the article, Triple M are likely to up their coverage to four games a week.

That means there's 4 MMM games, 4 2GB games, then all 8 covered by ABC as usual.

I agree that coverage shouldn't be exclusive, sure. But acting as if our game is up shit creek without a paddle is a bit over the top.

Mr Saab

Referee
If you read the article, Triple M are likely to up their coverage to four games a week.

That means there's 4 MMM games, 4 2GB games, then all 8 covered by ABC as usual.

I agree that coverage shouldn't be exclusive, sure. But acting as if our game is up shit creek without a paddle is a bit over the top.

I dont care about 2MMM...they bore me with all their music mixed up with commericals and then music, more commercials and then talk for 2 mins.
At least with AM there is no music.
I want VARIETY....i want to listen to different points of view with league talk...no Bozo Fulton going on about Manly all the time.
The radio situation is up shit creek without a paddle and is pathetic how all stations are not allowed to call the games.

Brutus

Referee
i dont care about 2mmm...they bore me with all their music mixed up with commericals and then music, more commercials and then talk for 2 mins.
At least with am there is no music.
I want variety....i want to listen to different points of view with league talk...no bozo fulton going on about manly all the time.
The radio situation is up shit creek without a paddle and is pathetic how all stations are not allowed to call the games.

exactly!!!!

Brutus

Referee
A joint 2SM 2UE bid would give regional areas great coverage.

2GB have given no guarantees regarding regional coverage.

Yet Mattiske said they were looking at having all the rehional areas covered.

Friggin muppets.

El Diablo

Post Whore
and the ridiculousness of whinging because Voss might not call games is stupid

it seems some here think the rights should go to whichever radio station Voss works for :crazy:

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
:lol: @ Hadley complaining and saying they'd call games off TV if they didn't get the rights.

Is it okay for them to do that WHILE THEY HAVE THE RIGHTS because they call it an "interactive studio"?

It would be pretty much all league fans with the exception of those with IQ's in the bottom 10%. That is 2GB's market, those people who cannot think for themselves.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...els-rivalry-20121013-27jl2.html#ixzz29KSv9GQs

In an intriguing twist, 2SM has joined forces with 2UE in a bid to wrest the NRL radio rights from current holders 2GB. The radio rights were on the agenda at Friday's ARL Commission conference in Townsville, with a decision imminent.
There has been speculation that Hughes could join Channel Nine's Andrew Voss as a commentator should the consortium be successful. The joint bid has the appeal of broadening the regional reach.

azzah72

Bench
Just on this, as of 3pm Friday, no decision had been made despite that article stating GB was in, A decision is soon but definitely hasn't happened.

2UE is making a big play at it, they really want it.

I think an answer is coming this week, but they've said that for a few weeks now.

Vossy is a lock in for commentating with perhaps Gibbsy & maybe Hindmarsh and Hughes.

Interesting few days

Brutus

Referee
Lets hope 2UE is once again a rugby league station and Andrew Webster's mail is about as impressive as his Sports Sunday debut on 1017 last weekend.

I've been on the 'ban the exclusivity bullshit' bandwagon for several years now and I'm used to being disappointed.

Last edited:

Mr Saab

Referee
That was shocking from Webster on Sunday. I listened to Rod from Nowra ask a stupid question.....went back to bed.