What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Rosetta

Juniors
Just let them all call it, this is one medium where we should focus on contra deals over pure dollars.

paulmac

Juniors
If the NRL get $1m for the exclusive radio rights why not just charge a $250,000 fee and anyone who wants to can cover the games.We would probably get the same cash but with increased choice and coverage.

Mr Saab

Referee
Decision was supposed to be 2-3 weeks ago. Dont know why it takes so long to tell us that nothing has changed nd 2geebee will be retaining the rights:roll:

Mr Twig

Reported today that 2GB / ABC / Triple M have all but secured the radio rights.

I think this is the best outcome.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Reported where ?

And how the hell could that be considered the best outcome?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...pe-old-age-of-52/story-e6frexnr-1226499942712

Don't touch the dial: The team's back

WE'RE hearing the NRL radio rights have all but been decided with 2GB and Triple M to share the broadcasting.

The two stations will cover four matches each between Thursday and Monday nights throughout the season.

Ray Hadley's Continuous Call team will cover the bulk of the weekend games, with Triple M retaining Monday nights and three other slots.

The joint deal is expected to be announced by the NRL this week.

The ABC will continue to call all games.

It is a huge blow for 2UE and 2SM, who had combined in an attempt to break into rugby league, which 2GB's award-winning team has dominated for years.

The radio rights deal is not a lot more than previous deals due to the impact of pay television and the fact broadcasts don't rate as well on the dial as they used to.

Well they said the same thing a week ago , let's hope they're wrong.

But FMD if they're right. The last line in the piece proves radio money is a waste of time.

Brutus

Referee
What a disgrace. What harm can it do to let 2ue broadcast some games as well? They would have produced two six hour blocks of league coverage on Sat and Sun and promoted the f**k out of it during the week.

The money factor too minimal in radio rights to be stopping networks from broadcasting games.

I know there's no official announcement yet, but deal sounds as good as done. Rothfield is close to Hadley and I'm sure he'd be in the know on this.

The 2GB bully tactics have worked again it seems.

Good one Grant and Mattiske.

Mr Twig

The radio rights deal is not a lot more than previous deals due to the impact of pay television and the fact broadcasts don't rate as well on the dial as they used to.
So this confirms that the joint 2UE/2SM bid was "not a lot more than previous deals".

Perhaps 2GB and Triple M have a "first and last" rights clause and have matched the obviously poor 2UE/2SM bid?

Rosetta

Juniors
Ray Hadley's Continuous Call team will cover the bulk of the weekend games, with Triple M retaining Monday nights and three other slots.

Well at least there will be a radio broadcast of every match if this is on the mark, about the only positive though.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
What a disgrace. What harm can it do to let 2ue broadcast some games as well? They would have produced two six hour blocks of league coverage on Sat and Sun and promoted the f**k out of it during the week.

The money factor too minimal in radio rights to be stopping networks from broadcasting games.

I know there's no official announcement yet, but deal sounds as good as done. Rothfield is close to Hadley and I'm sure he'd be in the know on this.

The 2GB bully tactics have worked again it seems.

Good one Grant and Mattiske.

x2

Actually very disappointed by this.

El Diablo

Post Whore
sounds like better coverage so don't understand the whinging

some here were always going to whinge though if 2UE didn't get the rights

sounds like better coverage so don't understand the whinging

some here were always going to whinge though if 2UE didn't get the rights

The whinge is more about 2GB getting exclusive commercial AM rights.

I like the sound of MMM getting more rights , it appeals to a different section of the market.

One thing about the radio market that's very different from TV is that listeners are much more loyal to stations. Therefore it makes more sense to open the rights up to other stations.

Whilst 2ue have been generally struggling in the ratings , they actually do very well on the weekends thanks to the George Moore & Paul B Kidd show.

Yoda

Juniors
I'm not concerned that 2UE might miss out, I'm more concerned that 2GB will get the rights again. They have shown absolute disrespect the league in recent years, they have a "league" show every Saturday and Sunday and talk about everything but.

Brutus

Referee
Andrew Webster confirms triple M and 2GB get the radio rights on page 141 of the telecrap today. The 2 networks are just working out the split of games.

Latest posts