What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Brutus

Referee
One game would do me too.

2UE-SM need to go ballistic on the regional advantage of their coverage compared to 2GB.

azzah72

Bench
They're having a second crack, something might happen but it wont be significant.

I posted something in here that got deleted due to source issues (which I can't provide)

UE bit back due to different reasons I can't say but it may result in a game or 2 max.

Once again can't reveal a source so if this gets deleted again so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brutus

Referee
They're having a second crack, something might happen but it wont be significant.

I posted something in here that got deleted due to source issues (which I can't provide)

UE bit back due to different reasons I can't say but it may result in a game or 2 max.

Once again can't reveal a source so if this gets deleted again so be it.

Great post. Keep it up. Your original post was even better.

It's nice to hear a few things that aren't straight from a News LTD article. Your insight and the Fin Reveiw article today have produced some interesting reading on this matter.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Let's hope the ARLC allows live coverage of both Friday night games as well.

People in Sydney and Brisbane should be able to listen to whatever game they want live.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I would prefer 2UE because their sport show actually talks about sport as opposed to the rubbish 2GB go on with. Maybe it would improve if they turfed Hadley from Rugby League and let him be the shock jock mega star he thinks he is.

Thank Goodness the ABC is there. If only they had some TV coverage as well. Maybe they could pick up all the Canberra games cheap?

Parra

Referee
Every game live.

As long as that is the deal it doesn't really matter who calls it.

Open slather is still the best option. But every game live is a good next-best.

Anything less will prove that the status quo survives. The heads on the puppets will be the only difference. That is all that has changed so far.

Brutus

Referee
http://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/11650

NRL plays a tactical game with radio rights
A decision was promised weeks ago but negotiations go on.
2GB are keen to keep their rights exclusive for all but the Monday night game which belonged to Triple M. Triple M are keen for more games than just Monday night and 2UE are keen to get back into the game and wrest the rights from arch rival 2GB.
The NRL, of course, is keen to wring every last dollar and every last concession out of the deal. To them, coverage is almost as important as cash. With all three networks plus the ABC determined to land the best deal for themselves, no wonder negotiations (as of yesterday afternoon) are still going on.
Sources say that while MRN and 2GB has put up the most cash so far in its bid to retain exclusivity, a consortium between Fairfax’s 2UE, 4BC and Bill Caralis’ Super Network offers the best coverage of NSW regional markets.
Triple M, though, could be the dark horse in this three (commercial) horse race. It too could do a deal with Caralis and then add a slew of its own SCA stations to the coverage map in both NSW and Queensland led by Triple M, Brisbane.
SCA Head of Content Craig Bruce was hesitant to divulge details of the SCA bid, “I can’t go into the specifics, obviously, that will be sorted over time.”
But it’s clear that Triple M sees football as pivotal to their blokey image, “We have enjoyed our involvement with the NRL up to this point. And we target men. They love the NRL in both in Brisbane and Sydney and if we can be a part of that, it would be a great thing for both Two and 4Triple M,” says Bruce.
When asked how many games he was looking to broadcast he would only say, “More than one.” but then he adds, “We have a model that obviously works really well with the AFL in Melbourne and we think we can do a version of that in Sydney and Brisbane and I guess time will tell what we end up with.”
The obvious question then is, how many AFL games does Triple M, Melbourne broadcast? The answer is four. It shares rights with 3AW, SEN and the ABC. Logic suggests, then, if AFL works for Triple M in Melbourne with four games a week then that would be a good number of NRL games to call in Sydney, Brisbane and the regions.
If Triple M get their four, it will be interesting to see who gets the other four.

Mattiske was asked about the radio rights by Hughes on 2SM yesterday and said an announcement is due next week.

seanoff

Juniors
"The price of the rights will be less than $2 million, a mere 1/500th of the TV rights agreed in August"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...adio-rights-20121108-290xg.html#ixzz2Be09F2Hm

If this is all they are going to get, they should just throw it open to everyone. what a complete waste of resources having high paid execs sit around and negotiate something that is worth essentially nothing. If it goes on much longer the negotiations will cost more than the rights are worth.

and

Ultimately, it's difficult to see how NRL radio rights represent value, with the ratings of Hadley's popular Continuous Call dipping significantly when a game begins, demonstrating that the pre-match ''gibber'' is more popular than the game itself.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...adio-rights-20121108-290xg.html#ixzz2Be0fRtqy

WHAT?? Really?

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
"The price of the rights will be less than $2 million, a mere 1/500th of the TV rights agreed in August"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...adio-rights-20121108-290xg.html#ixzz2Be09F2Hm

If this is all they are going to get, they should just throw it open to everyone. what a complete waste of resources having high paid execs sit around and negotiate something that is worth essentially nothing. If it goes on much longer the negotiations will cost more than the rights are worth.

and

Ultimately, it's difficult to see how NRL radio rights represent value, with the ratings of Hadley's popular Continuous Call dipping significantly when a game begins, demonstrating that the pre-match ''gibber'' is more popular than the game itself.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...adio-rights-20121108-290xg.html#ixzz2Be0fRtqy

WHAT?? Really?

Looks like the NRL is going hard for the bogan audience - 2GB/TripleM.

Hopefully 2UE-2SM get to call Monday night footy live at the ground as well as their planned weekend show, where they will be forced to call off the box. Let's hope the NRL allows them to do this as well. More rugby league on the radio can only be a good thing.

eelandia

Juniors
I can't listen to Hadley, pure and simple. Many, many years ago yes, but he has turned into a caricature of himself and his ego knows no bounds. His image detracts from our great game and despite his CC being number one, it seems they don't generally listen for the footy but for his dribble only.

The MMM call on mondays last year was great imo...usually had that on instead of the audio on Fox. The 4 games they will get is the only saving grace I can see out of this deal...and of course the trustworthy ABC.

eelandia

Juniors
Looks like the NRL is going hard for the bogan audience - 2GB/TripleM.

Commercial radio in general is for the non-thinkers, isn't it? Whether it is playing the same song to death (Austereo) or appealling to the stupid (Macquarie) they are usually 'one-sided' in some way.

Latest posts