What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
Well we are still waiting for the NRL writers to wake up from their NYE celebrations so they can post up the press release. However, I would say there is a great chance that the Sydney call will be simulcast into Brisbane on Triple M. Wouldn't just be a Sydney thing.

And hopefully the MMM coverage will be picked up by some FM regionals as well, like i98fm in Wollongong and KO-FM in Newcastle, who in the past have taken GB's match calls.

Looking forward to hearing which games MMM will be covering

azsportza

Live Update Team
And hopefully the MMM coverage will be picked up by some FM regionals as well, like i98fm in Wollongong and KO-FM in Newcastle, who in the past have taken GB's match calls.

Looking forward to hearing which games MMM will be covering

Pretty sure that KO-FM in Newcastle has picked up MNF when Triple M called it in 2012. I can imagine at least those two named stations will take the call from MMM in 2013

beave

Coach
We got MMM up here for mondays games and I must say it was quite good. Sterlo is a great analyst of the game, Ginnane is great as well IMO.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sounds wonderful...if you live in Sydney.

If they weren't broadcasting into QLD they wouldn't of got Tallis. He's there to appeal to the QLD listeners (although Fri nights could be a problem with the alternate games).

As for coverage there's not many places around with no austereo station. I assume they need a 2nd or 3rd caller. Hopefully Vossy gets the gig.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Are you referring to other NRL games? As the article mentioned SoO and finals

There has been no article about the radio rights yet. Just the promo from Triple M. Which states:

"After two years of heated negations?in 2013 NRL gets a brand new home. Triple M will call every weekend, including Origin and all the finals action. It?s radio coverage, Sydney has been waiting for 100 years for. Footy coverage from the best line-up in the country?but don?t worry that other mob will still be there if you are over 60"

Indicating that they will indeed be covering more than Monday Night Football on a round-by-round basis.

azsportza

Live Update Team
If they weren't broadcasting into QLD they wouldn't of got Tallis. He's there to appeal to the QLD listeners (although Fri nights could be a problem with the alternate games).

As for coverage there's not many places around with no austereo station. I assume they need a 2nd or 3rd caller. Hopefully Vossy gets the gig.

Agree with the Tallis comment - As for the second caller, I think Anthony Maroon would be inline for the gig, called a few games this year I think. He has experience as a play by play caller too. As for Andrew Voss, I hope he gets a gig with them too. He has some radio experience as he was an understudy for Ray Hadley back in the day.

Diesel

Referee
Saturation into several different markets is a good thing. I can only speak about Brisbane but if ABC/4BC on AM and Triple M on FM calling all games or simulcast is a good start. Up here we need more sports shows or a full time sports station

Brutus

Referee
So what if a swans game clashes with an NRL game? What will triple m choose to call?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/1849-nrl-radio-rights-awarded.html

NRL Radio Rights awarded

After a prolonged negotiation the NRL radio rights have been awarded to Triple M, 2GB and ABC.

Whilst the announcement is yet to be officially made, Radio Today has been reliably informed the deal is now done and will be officially announced in the coming days.

The announcement will confirm 2GB's role as the official commercial AM caller, ABC702 continue with their call, and 2MMM take a lead from the success of 3MMM by calling multiple NRL games.

Triple M will call the NRL every weekend, the complete finals series, and the State of Origin series. This will mean that the station, on weekends, will become a virtual Rugby League station given the volume of sports shows that it broadcasts. Whilst the official announcement is yet to be made by the NRL, Triple M are already promoing their coverage - hear the promo here.

ABC702 and 2GB's coverage will remain unchanged.

Whilst 2GB and ABC702 have well established call teams in place, Triple M are yet to announce who their team will be, although Anthony Maroon appears to be the obvious choice.

The NRL radio rights were hotly contested with Fairfax and the Super Radio Network making a play for them, however the 2GB/Triple M combination clearly offers stronger coverage in both metropolitan and regional markets.

The delay in a formal decision, which was originally due in November, has been impacted by the lack of a formal Chief Executive Officer at the NRL for the last six months.

Latest posts