What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Still not clear - It seems that if their is an NRL game that clashes with a Sydney Swans game, Triple M will take the Swans game.

That has not yet become apparent so I'm not sure how you are coming to the conclusion. It would be commercial suicide for them to do so anyway as I'm sure radio numbers for the two sports would reflect television ratings.

It is truly better for all to wait until final details become clear and official announcements are made before making rash statements.

LJC

Juniors
http://radiotoday.com.au/index.php?...on-promos-start&catid=19:whats-new&Itemid=136

1 min o5 secs: The swannies are live on the Ms again...EVERY weekend...

So one would assume that if the Swans clashed with a NRL match, the M's would be taking the Swans in Sydney.

Dissapointing and insulting to rugby league in Sydney!

Wonder if a Melbourne Storm game would get the same preferential coverage from a radio station in Melbourne?

Something is wrong if a AFL game gets the nod over an NRL game in Sydney or Brisbane radio.

Brutus

Referee
Triple M are kidding themselves if they call Swans games over the the rugby league.

Surely the NRL wouldn't allow this if true.

Give 2ue a go if these other networks aren't serious about promoting Sydney and Brisbane's number 1 sport.

Mr Saab

Referee
Triple M are kidding themselves if they call Swans games over the the rugby league.

Surely the NRL wouldn't allow this if true.

Give 2ue a go if these other networks aren't serious about promoting Sydney and Brisbane's number 1 sport.

Of course the NRL would allow it. The NRL are as weak as a sandcastle on Bondi Beach.
Shame NRL. Shame

Clarke

Juniors
Triple M haven't got every NRL games, they have games each week. Any game that MMM don't have will be on either/both 2GB & ABC.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It can clearly be discerned from that article Triple M will always drop Rugby League coverage for the ozzie rules.

Shame NRL Commission.

Jeffmister

Juniors
It can clearly be discerned from that article Triple M will always drop Rugby League coverage for the ozzie rules.

Shame NRL Commission.
To start off, first time poster, long time reader of this forum (and particularly this sub-forum).

Anyway, Desert Qlder - I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from the article since there's nothing about how MMM will handle their contractual agreements with both the AFL and likely the NRL as well?

Although I'm guessing Digital Radio will have to play some role in allowing both codes to air at the same time when conflicts occur, with NRL being on MMM and AFL on Digital Radio. This is similar to what happened in Victoria where MMM's broadcast of MNF was aired on a digital-radio station called 'Barry' (now known as 'Buddha').

Parra

Referee
To start off, first time poster, long time reader of this forum (and particularly this sub-forum).

Anyway, Desert Qlder - I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from the article since there's nothing about how MMM will handle their contractual agreements with both the AFL and likely the NRL as well?

Although I'm guessing Digital Radio will have to play some role in allowing both codes to air at the same time when conflicts occur, with NRL being on MMM and AFL on Digital Radio. This is similar to what happened in Victoria where MMM's broadcast of MNF was aired on a digital-radio station called 'Barry' (now known as 'Buddha').

The ARLC has done a very good job of limiting access to league on the radio. Why? Only they know.

Diesel

Referee

Is Buddha a MMM station? Why is there not a solely Sports station for Australia wide like in NZ they have Radio Sport which is great. M happen to be proven wrong or at least a Qld sports station?

It might be more in AFL states the AFL takes precedence over NRL

The ad says : The swannies are live on the Ms again...EVERY weekend...

That would say to me, that the Swans, being a Sydney team in NSW, will be on EVERY weekend on Triple M.

So if a Swans game is Friday night, Saturday after 5.30pm or Sunday arvo, it will bump the NRL game EVERY weekend.

I doubt very much if Triple M are airing the same ad in Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth...but I could be corrected.

The swans thing is likely a pre existing contract. Particularly as the AFL are likely leveraging the coverage they awarded MMM in the southern states to get the swans broadcast up here.

Once that contract is up it'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

Would have liked to see the radio coverage thrown open to all comers , but at least we seem to have got expanded coverage.

Latest posts