What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Brutus

Referee
There is no coverage of the panthers game anywhere on radio.

2GB would rather talk about fancy dress parties.

Over to you John Grant. Please sort these f**kwits out.

Typical of 2GB - have been doing that sort of thing for years. Only this year have they finally decided to pay attention to the 7:30pm games on a Saturday.

The sooner they lose the rights, the better

Typical of 2GB - have been doing that sort of thing for years. Only this year have they finally decided to pay attention to the 7:30pm games on a Saturday.

The sooner they lose the rights, the better

I respect older people, so I take on board your thoughts 1947. This season must be rough on the old ticker mate.

2GB can go eat dog turds

Gallop was scared to take the exclusive rights off 2GB because of Raaaaayyyyy. I hope Grant and the commission are not scared of the bully and give the rights to as many stations who want it, it is in the good of the game to have as many stations calling the game as possible.

Brutus

Referee
Gallop probably had things that he didn't want exposed.

Grant has nothing to hide and will do what's best for rugby league.

parraeel

Juniors
Hope they do end the exclusive agreement... I think it is a bit sad that the Tripple M show is more informative and actually has more talk about league whereas the AM station in GB you would be lucky to get any league talk pre game.

franklin2323

Immortal
There is no coverage of the panthers game anywhere on radio.

2GB would rather talk about fancy dress parties.

Over to you John Grant. Please sort these f**kwits out.

ABC played it but the offical station nothing. ANZAC Day night no coverage of the Storm v Warriors game. Every game should be on radio somewhere.

Brutus

Referee
ABC played it but the offical station nothing. ANZAC Day night no coverage of the Storm v Warriors game. Every game should be on radio somewhere.

I tried to listen to the storm game on the abc while driving but all they had was the olympics. I tried my Tune In radio app and all the abc digital stations were blocked due to some contractual obligation while the olympics are on.

If it was on the ABC it was well hidden.

Meanwhile at 2GB, you get no coverage, just rubbish non-league talk which appeals to people who don't even like the game. When they do finally call a game, they do it via an "interactive studio" which is just a nice way of saying "we couldn't be bothered going to the ground". Surely they could have put in the effort to travel to Newcastle yesterday.

Once again, over to you John Grant and friends.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Radio rights should be open to all comers. Not worth the limitation that exclusive rights bring with it.

Absolutely.

I imagine that will be the case next time around.

There would be 4 stations at least that would be keen to broadcast.

Quidgybo

Bench
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=8049214

Radio rights are small change. You're never going to make huge money selling radio rights, the value is in the exposure not the money. Selling exclusive rights works entirely against that value by limiting exposure, limiting the number of games covered, and limiting their accessibility. Instead of looking at the money, radio rights should be treated as a loss leader to promote much more valuable revenue sources like television rights and gate takings.

The NRL should be opening the radio rights to all comers, even at zero cost, with the condition that the NRL retains the right to simulcast any coverage free of charge through its own media outlets (eg. NRL.com website). The aim should be to ensure every game is covered with one or more live audio commentaries, those commentaries are available worldwide, and they are accessible from one consistent source controlled by the NRL. I should be able to click a button next to the live scores on the NRL website and have immediate access to all commentaries on that game without going to another website.

Leigh.

Canard

Immortal
Its mental here in Melbourne, EVERY game of the "other" code is broadcast on the ABC, the two commercial networks (3AW and SEN) and on Triple M. Each one is sort of aimed at a different demographic.

So there is a choice of 4 radio stations to listen to. And basically all those channels start there broadcast at 10am or so on a Saturday.

Its fecking maddening as a non-AFL fan and means I have little to listen to on the radio come the weekends, but it would be a fantastic thing to have in League in NSW and QLD.

Exactly - the AFL have it right, even to the point it is overkill but it is exactly what people want in Melbourne. Not only do they have 2-3 different stations calling every game, they spread it around so every game has coverage.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Its mental here in Melbourne, EVERY game of the "other" code is broadcast on the ABC, the two commercial networks (3AW and SEN) and on Triple M. Each one is sort of aimed at a different demographic.

So there is a choice of 4 radio stations to listen to. And basically all those channels start there broadcast at 10am or so on a Saturday.

Its fecking maddening as a non-AFL fan and means I have little to listen to on the radio come the weekends, but it would be a fantastic thing to have in League in NSW and QLD.

Agreed. I get so desperate at times I listen to SEN for a bit and pretend they are talking about real Football.

Doesn't do the job I'm afraid.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Right so on the central coast today couldnt find any coverage of warriors v sharks or canberra v broncos on the radio. whats doing there or have i just missed a station

El Diablo

Post Whore

Desert Qlder

First Grade
We need to get digital coverage nationwide, preferably on the ABC.

Working in the garden without the footy friggin sucks.

Latest posts