What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL should be the strongest it's ever been. So why isn't it?

Bronco18

Juniors
On point 3. That seems to be a perception many are holding onto but from the footy i have watched this year and i watch say 75% of games most of the games have not been "one out affairs". I have seen plenty of footy played but it may take a while for it too catch on with fans who have turned off partially. Add in the close games and thrilling finishes and imo its been a great season on field so far, sadly the fan base has become more apathetic and seemingly not willing to go to games even in perfect conditions (see crowds at big matchups on sunday arvo in sydney, very very average)

But some changes wouldnt hurt, in particular the reduction of the interchange to bring back the small players and reduce influence of battering rams by fatiguing them

Good it's not just me - I think the standard of footy this year is a notch above last year (with the obvious exception of origin weekends). More teams seem to be chancing their arm with offloads and running on the last tackle. I know it has its fair share of detractors but I reckon the 7 tackle rule for dead kicks was a real good innovation and there are less tries from kicks atm.
Maybe that's just my perception though as a Broncos fan, we're attacking as well as we ever have but with an ordinary kicking game.

Canard

Immortal
Good it's not just me - I think the standard of footy this year is a notch above last year (with the obvious exception of origin weekends). More teams seem to be chancing their arm with offloads and running on the last tackle. I know it has its fair share of detractors but I reckon the 7 tackle rule for dead kicks was a real good innovation and there are less tries from kicks atm.
Maybe that's just my perception though as a Broncos fan, we're attacking as well as we ever have but with an ordinary kicking game.

The Broncos have had some amazing tries, the Raiders are playing with real flair, and sides like the Dogs are good to watch because of the variety that their forwards play with.

Of course this is a very taboo topic on LU, your not allowed to say your enjoy watching Rugby League or support anything that is NRL related.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The Broncos have had some amazing tries, the Raiders are playing with real flair, and sides like the Dogs are good to watch because of the variety that their forwards play with.

Of course this is a very taboo topic on LU, your not allowed to say your enjoy watching Rugby League or support anything that is NRL related.

Some teams are great to watch, I'll put the Cowboys in that same group too, but the other good sides all play the same wththe kick to the winger their go to play. It becomes very boring to watch after a while. If I want to watch poor kicking I'll watch that Melbourne game called afl.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'll try and be as blunt as humanly possible:

1. Very poor match day experience. You would swear that there is no money being pumped in to make the spectators come to the games and enjoy themselves at the game.
2. Food and drink prices
3. The game is BORING! I'm the wrong demographic, but my brother is the right one. He watches his team then doesn't watch another game. I can see his point. 5 tackles, kick, boring. Game needs to develop rules to promote tries through the hands. I have actually said for a while that if a try is scored through a kick, you lose the opportunity to kick the conversion as you have already taken the kick option.
4. Video refs, they take way too long. If you can't make a decision in 2-3 replays, move on, refs call.
5. Strip rulings are an absolute lottery, clean the mess up.
6. Too many big boppers coming on to bash up halfbacks. That isn't skill. Reduce the interchange to 5, make the little me more important and stop reducing the skill in the game.

Just a few thoughts.

On point 3. That seems to be a perception many are holding onto but from the footy i have watched this year and i watch say 75% of games most of the games have not been "one out affairs". I have seen plenty of footy played but it may take a while for it too catch on with fans who have turned off partially. Add in the close games and thrilling finishes and imo its been a great season on field so far, sadly the fan base has become more apathetic and seemingly not willing to go to games even in perfect conditions (see crowds at big matchups on sunday arvo in sydney, very very average)

But some changes wouldnt hurt, in particular the reduction of the interchange to bring back the small players and reduce influence of battering rams by fatiguing them

I definitely agree with point 3...

Sport is all about incentives and RL has none that promote expansive play...

If a team has the ball in their own end, their best choice is "5 hit-ups, kick, defend and hope for error".
IF they did choose to run the ball, they take on massive risk with almost no reward; Assuming they dont score a try (which rarely happens in long distance sets) putting it through hands means they will either drop the ball in their own half or hand it over down the other end (something a kick could achieve without the risk).

We need some kind of restart rule that gives teams a reason to play expansive football. We encourage kicking by give restarts for 40/20s and tackled-in-goal (the best chance outside of penalties to get the ball in good position), yet we complain that there is too much kicking.

If you want more attacking football, there needs to be some incentive that kicking CANNOT achieve; eg a 6-again for carryng the ball 50m or crossing the attacking 20m line.

You complain that the players are boring, but the rules of our game make it so only the boring players win...

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Topball, that would beof the best for the game.

I hate conservatives...
WOuo5uh.png

hutch

First Grade
You are right.
Hes half Laos. Thats like Cambodian.
Further illustrates my point he isnt a pacific Islander.

Is this post for real? You said he is maori and when someone pulls you up on it you're point is somehow justified? Wtf?

lockyno1

Post Whore
I definitely agree with this...

Sport is all about incentives and RL has none that promote expansive play...

If a team has the ball in their own end, their best choice is "5 hit-ups, kick, defend and hope for error".
IF they did choose to run the ball, they take on massive risk with almost no reward; Assuming they dont score a try (which rarely happens in long distance sets) putting it through hands means they will either drop the ball in their own half or hand it over down the other end (something a kick could achieve without the risk).

We need some kind of restart rule that gives teams a reason to play expansive football. We encourage kicking by give restarts for 40/20s and tackled-in-goal (the best chance outside of penalties to get the ball in good position), yet we complain that there is too much kicking.

If you want more attacking football, there needs to be some incentive that kicking CANNOT achieve; eg a 6-again for carryng the ball 50m or crossing the attacking 20m line.

You complain that the players are boring, but the rules of our game make it so only the boring players win...

Agreed there needs to be something to promote playing football. Maybe if you make 60m with no kicking your tackle count is restarted. Will allow teams to spread the ball early and look for gaps. We have way too much one out plays and it gets to a stage where it is very boring to watch as a neutral. The only way to improve crowds is to improve the product, more exciting football should be the number 1 goal

MarkC

Juniors
I don't think there is a major problem.

From the games I have seen this year there are different styles of games:-
1) Grinding slugfest /forward battle - conditions or teams don't allow attractive footy.
2) Intense defense orientated game - defense generally a bit to good for the attack.
3) Structured game with both sides looking to score off structured plays.
4) Hectic game with both teams chucking the ball around.
5) Mix of styles one team playing structured and the other hectic.

There is variety, but generally the more attractive games are played in the day when conditions allow the players to throw the ball around.

Within that over mix there has been some bumbling inept attacking play but also some brilliant attack play with some great tries scored.

What we have seen this year is that if most attacks simply run through their rehearsed plays then most defenses know what is coming and it can be difficult to score except off a kick.

To counter this many teams are throwing the ball around more and taking more risks with a view to scoring. Some teams are over doing that and can look inept.

Where teams like the Dogs have a big forwards pack a team with a smaller more mobile pack has to play and up tempo game and throw the ball around more.
The teams leading the comp at this stage don't have the biggest pack.

I actually think the standard is pretty good this year, there is lots of variety and most games are genuine competitions.
People forget that in the 70's and 80's teams could win games by only playing for the 2nd 40 minutes..... there were plenty of mismatches and boring games in earlier era's.

Things can always improve, but when I look at footage of games from the 70's and 80's, the games are slower and the players are less skillful.... well that is my impression.

It is hard to compare more recent era's but the skill set and fitness of the modern player would stack up well against any era.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Make our game more like American Football, now that's exciting. Laughably stupid idea.

On LU the solution to crowds is:

1. Stop changing the rules
2. Radically change the rules.
3. Graphic Design, if a team was another colour they would be succesful.
4. Ensure that Boom Crash Opera or Frente play at the halftime break
5. Put Michael Searle in charge
6. Dont put Michael Searle in charge.
7. Let a millionaire buy a club
8. Dont let a millionaire buy a club

Last edited:

MarkC

Juniors
You can bag NFL but they get the crowds mate. We need more than 12k going to matches!

There are lots of factors there .... playing games on cold rainy nights is a factor.

Especially when the game is live on TV.

I went to an NFL game in the US and some fans (who could not afford to go in) watched it on TV in the car park. The actual game experience at an NFL game is fairly boring, but people go for the event. There is a large population and some of the fans are diehard.

NFL is a great game with a 3 hour game is edited down to 15 minutes of highlights, other than that it is a game for the purists and fans.

The quality of the play in NRL matches is generally not the main problem, costs, parking, transport, are all issues.

Many fans at the game have a negative attitude when their team is loosing, and that can detract from the experience at the game .... when you team is struggling it becomes a hard slog.

It sometimes used to take me 1 hour to get out of the car park after games....

Last edited:

MarkC

Juniors
It sometimes used to take me 1 hour to get out of the car park after games....

This s something they handle much better in the US,,, we could learn a lot from them in this area.

Last edited:

Latest posts