What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL should be the strongest it's ever been. So why isn't it?

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
Is this post for real? You said he is maori and when someone pulls you up on it you're point is somehow justified? Wtf?

I guess you struggle to read.

My point was pacific islanders are more power game than silky ball skills/ Fleet of foot.

I was then told 'What about Shaun Johnson, he is electrifying'.

I retorted that he is Maori, as opposed to Poly.

I was corrected that he is actually half Laos half white. Which I acknowledged as my mistake.

So he is even further away from Polynesian than I anticipated.

Hence my original point.

Capiche?

Raiderdave

First Grade
The Canberra Raiders saved RL from itself in the lateish 80s
The code hit a period of its on field historya few years before which was forgettable
Defensive
Negative
Boring
Then one of the most exciting RL teams ever emerged & everyone fell in love with the game again
Here we are again
And it looks like it'll be The Raiders to the rescue all over again
There is no better team to watch atm
They will get better in the coming years too

Thank god for the 2015 Raiders

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Make our game more like American Football, now that's exciting. Laughably stupid idea.

Yeh, its only one of the most popular sports on the planet...

Therefore, single thing about the game must be terrible.

because logic :crazy::crazy::crazy:

If we were the dominant football code in a country of 360M, you may have a valid point.

Are you really suggesting the NFL floated to the top of the proverbial toilet out of luck?!?!?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's a few teams that entertaining to watch and some that are just plain boring. Its not that the individual players don't have skills its just they are coached a certain style and when mixed with slow PoTB, allowable offsides and the game taking 3 hours due to video refs, slow scrums, players laying down etc makes a dull spectacle.

People are still watching it on TV but that is a low investment scenario for a fan, you can go off and do something else whilst the game drags out and don't feel like you've wasted money or time. the fact crowds are down again is probably more indicative of fans not wanting to invest time and money in supporting their clubs at the moment.

betcats

Referee
Yeh, its only one of the most popular sports on the planet...

Therefore, single thing about the game must be terrible.

because logic :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Are you really suggesting the NFL floated to the top of the proverbial toilet out of luck?!?!?

Its popular in two countries, one of those countries happens to the US.

Canard

Immortal

I'm suggesting that League has a lot more constraints than the NFL and should be judged accordingly.

To claim that we should be a the level of NFL in terms of crowd support and TV monies is pure fantasy. To suggest that some tinkering of the rules would create this is laughable in the extreme.

IF League was the only football code played in Australia, I would suggest that our average crowds WOULD be higher with no change to the way the game is played now at all.

Canard

Immortal
I guess you struggle to read.

My point was pacific islanders are more power game than silky ball skills/ Fleet of foot.

I was then told 'What about Shaun Johnson, he is electrifying'.

I retorted that he is Maori, as opposed to Poly.

I was corrected that he is actually half Laos half white. Which I acknowledged as my mistake.

So he is even further away from Polynesian than I anticipated.

Hence my original point.

Capiche?

I put it to you, that you clearly tried to imply that he was basically Polynesian in being Maori.

Jason Maher

Immortal
At the moment fate has crossed paths to set up the platform to display the strongest talent it has ever seen on the park. The strong dollar/salary cap has allowed the NRL to pilfer talent from England, the Islands, nz and even France! A luxury not given in the 00's where the rugby union lure and strong English pound took half the top talent and spatterings of mid level NRL talent with no englishmen in sight in return. Morley aside, we had no Burgess, graham, Ellis and cooper to trade off what the NRL lost back then.

Couple this with the new age professionalism and sports medicine and fitness levels unprecedented, why are we not seeing the best rugby league we have ever seen?

The mid 00s and mid 90s to me, and generally speaking , appear to have been the most exciting. Wh can forget Benji in the '05 grand final? Or the mercurial footwork of Rod Silva, Mullins and Steve renouf or the ball work of Johns/Stuart/langer? Why is this?
I have some theories;
-shoulder charge was present.
-big units intermingling with smaller whippets created a visual feast.
-coaching evolution. Structure over excitement.
-strength over speed.
-Pacific Islanders. No offence at all but these guys are strong and they hit hard, but their game play isn't fleet of foot or 'excitement footy'. Maybe it's not a Pacific Islander thing so much as a pure battering ram showcase.

Either way the game has never been more criticised on the field. It was traditionally seen as quality on the field with off field bogan behaviour the games downfall.
Not so now.

A side point from this observation is the game quality doesn't necessarily suffer with diluted talent. It can open things up with the wider canyon of talent on display.

Which regenerated troll are you?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm suggesting that League has a lot more constraints than the NFL and should be judged accordingly.

To claim that we should be a the level of NFL in terms of crowd support and TV monies is pure fantasy. To suggest that some tinkering of the rules would create this is laughable in the extreme.

IF League was the only football code played in Australia, I would suggest that our average crowds WOULD be higher with no change to the way the game is played now at all.

I totally agree, these are all valid points. We cant judge a suggestion based on a single aspect of a sort-of comparable external example....

But this is exactly what you did when suggesting "we shouldn't draw from the best parts of American Football, because the game is gerenally boring", disregarding the fact that their 4-and-10 rule has nothing to do with their game being boring (the game is boring for all of the stopping and starting and the million ads they cram in).

Their First Down rule is the thing that makes their sport so god damn spectacular (if only in highlight reels)!!

You are entirely right to criticise Oj's post for false equivalency, but you have to acknowledge that you did the same.....

Canard

Immortal
I totally agree, these are all valid points. We cant judge a suggestion based on a single aspect of a sort-of comparable external example....

But this is exactly what you did when suggesting "we shouldn't draw from the best parts of American Football, because the game is gerenally boring", disregarding the fact that their 4-and-10 rule has nothing to do with their game being boring (the game is boring for all of the stopping and starting and the million ads they cram in).

Their First Down rule is the thing that makes their sport so god damn spectacular (if only in highlight reels)!!

You are entirely right to criticise Oj's post for false equivalency, but you have to acknowledge that you did the same.....

Were did I mention that it was boring??

To change the game so fundamentally you may as well call it a new sport, is what I call laughable.

The solution isn't just "changing some rules and shit"!

To me it suggests that your not much a fan of the sport anyway. And you should focus your attention on American Football.

TheDMC

Bench
You are right.
Hes half Laos. Thats like Cambodian.
Further illustrates my point he isnt a pacific Islander.

Yeah, except completely different cultures and language.

That's doing a u-turn to avoid a cliff and then hitting a truck head on.

Dropping the interchange numbers will make more exciting footy.

Unfortunately, NRL will always remain a better tv sport than live event, simply because about 20 players usually stand around doing nothing for a good three or four plays per set. At least on tv it focuses in on the action.

Latest posts