What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL should be the strongest it's ever been. So why isn't it?

I'll try and be as blunt as humanly possible:

1. Very poor match day experience. You would swear that there is no money being pumped in to make the spectators come to the games and enjoy themselves at the game.

#1 is a must fix.
Mascot races and junior league games are embarrassing.
Might be cool for the kids playing but for everyone watching it, it's just lame.
There's no attempt to create something special either.
The NRL and clubs need to make match day more exciting for fans.

Look what Kochie with INXS has done with Port Adelaide, take a leaf out of their book. We can stick our heads in the sand and bag AFL all we want but there's no question they do that stuff much better than NRL.

footy75

Bench
#1Look what Kochie with INXS has done with Port Adelaide, take a leaf out of their book. We can stick our heads in the sand and bag AFL all we want but there's no question they do that stuff much better than NRL.

Yeah maybe some things.

Having high profile media personalities as presidents of your football clubs who are on tv like Kochie and Eddie Mguire are only going to bolster things.

I go to the NRL and AFL Grand Final every year (best week of the year) and the NRL do the Grand Final better.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Were did I mention that it was boring??

To change the game so fundamentally you may as well call it a new sport, is what I call laughable.

The solution isn't just "changing some rules and shit"!

To me it suggests that your not much a fan of the sport anyway. And you should focus your attention on American Football.

They would have been saying the same back in 1907...

If youre so against trying new things with the sport, i suggest you go back to Rugby. This game was founded on a principle of people pushing the limits of what the sport can be.

If you genuinely believe the game is the best it could ever be then that is great (though that would be an almost impossible position to argue), but if you hold you conservative views because "ehh, its good enough/could be worse" then i have no respect for your opinion....

(ill say again, i hate conservatives)
this_is_fine.jpg

txta2

First Grade
The skill and power level has gotten to much that defence is killing the game.
The Brisbane v Melbourne game was a good example.
And woeful refereeing decisions as well, turning around games sucks ass.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
OJ must not watch many games, there have been some crackers this season. The product is fine.

More people would go to live games if the cost was reduced.

More people would be interested in the game if there were more live free to air games

Pretty simple.

TheVelourFog

First Grade

If youre so against trying new things with the sport, i suggest you go back to Rugby. This game was founded on a principle of people pushing the limits of what the sport can be.

If you genuinely believe the game is the best it could ever be then that is great (though that would be an almost impossible position to argue), but if you hold you conservative views because "ehh, its good enough/could be worse" then i have no respect for your opinion....

this_is_fine.jpg

The response to everything is to change the rules. Rules are changed every year and people are still complaining.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you had 8-9 home games a year you could justify charging $56 a ticket but 12 is probably over supply at those prices. $35 for good seats and $20 behind sticks should be the set price in the NRL. Having said that I'm not convinced cost is the biggest issue to get huge crowds. Origin just got 91,500 to it at an avg of around $150 a ticket. If something is a must do event then people will pay to go. How you make 12 games at say brookvale all must attend events regardless of weather and opponent I have no idea though!

Canard

Immortal

this_is_fine.jpg

Your missing the point. Your solution to everything is "change the Rules"

That's as dumb as people who claim that referees are the reason
crowds aren't bigger.

It's not as simple as that, it's a combination of many factors.

You clearly aren't a big League fan and don't enjoy the game, millions of people do however.

Last edited:

Howdy

Juniors
I'll try and be as blunt as humanly possible:

1. Very poor match day experience. You would swear that there is no money being pumped in to make the spectators come to the games and enjoy themselves at the game.
2. Food and drink prices
3. The game is BORING! I'm the wrong demographic, but my brother is the right one. He watches his team then doesn't watch another game. I can see his point. 5 tackles, kick, boring. Game needs to develop rules to promote tries through the hands. I have actually said for a while that if a try is scored through a kick, you lose the opportunity to kick the conversion as you have already taken the kick option.
4. Video refs, they take way too long. If you can't make a decision in 2-3 replays, move on, refs call.
5. Strip rulings are an absolute lottery, clean the mess up.
6. Too many big boppers coming on to bash up halfbacks. That isn't skill. Reduce the interchange to 5, make the little me more important and stop reducing the skill in the game.

Just a few thoughts.
Your thoughts are just idiotic, never think again

If we go to 12, IMO we should go the whole hog and have an 11-a-side sport, we went from 15 to 13. We can't increase the size of the pitches so there is only one alternative.

Last edited:
The response to everything is to change the rules. Rules are changed every year and people are still complaining.

That's not true, rules aren't changed, some interpretations are changed, but rule changes means significant changes, and there haven't been for years. Suppose the number of interchanges was quite significant when they went to un-limited ones, and bringing in the 40/20. One significant rule change was taking the drop-goal down to 1 point, or possibly stopping players from being able to play-the-ball to themselves.

Since wrestling really came in in 2006, there hasn't been any significant rule changes, and with defences so much better now, as has bn said, the only solution is to reduce the number on the paddock.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
Yeah, except completely different cultures and language.

That's doing a u-turn to avoid a cliff and then hitting a truck head on.

Dropping the interchange numbers will make more exciting footy.

Unfortunately, NRL will always remain a better tv sport than live event, simply because about 20 players usually stand around doing nothing for a good three or four plays per set. At least on tv it focuses in on the action.

Nah man,
I made the point that Shaun cant be classified as an islander as he is maori, then i found out h was asian so it just proved my point even further that he cant be classified as a polynesian.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
OJ must not watch many games, there have been some crackers this season. The product is fine.

More people would go to live games if the cost was reduced.

More people would be interested in the game if there were more live free to air games

Pretty simple.

See thats the thing,
I dont believe the product is fine.
That isnt my opinion by the way, I'm going off the constant talk here on LU about issues regarding the gameplay and also the media, that has raised the very same topics.

On my way to work in the morning i listen to Triple M's Grill team and they are also discussing these issues.

I have never heard rule changes being debated so much in other sports, nor have i seen actual rule changes implemented in other sports.

Rugby League has shown causation for the knock on effect and its causing controversy.

MarkC

Juniors
I think the product is fine, perhaps it needs a bit of fine tuning here and there but it is in better shape than most other sports.

There is some time wasting, but that is rampant in Cricket, is a typical end to a Soccer game and is a design feature of NFL.

As I stated earlier there are many different styles of game currently.

Those that want to tinker with the game effectively want to reduce the number of styles on offer, that is the false belief that one style is superior to all other styles and should be the style.

Often that is the false belief that we should promote attack over defense, if you get high scoring games like Basketball the act of scoring itself is diminished.

What is good abut the NRL is there is a balance between attack and defense and attacking teams need to earn their point by executing and putting their bodies on the line.
The better the defense, the better the attack is forced to be.....

IMO NRL fans are never happy .... the game can always be improved but it does not need major changes, just some fine tuning and incremental improvements.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
If people are unhappy with the lack of varying playstyles, blame the coaches who tell their players how to play.

There are plenty of people who enjoy the game as it is and don't want the rules changed every single year to much whinging from all sides.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
That's not true, rules aren't changed, some interpretations are changed, but rule changes means significant changes, and there haven't been for years. Suppose the number of interchanges was quite significant when they went to un-limited ones, and bringing in the 40/20. One significant rule change was taking the drop-goal down to 1 point, or possibly stopping players from being able to play-the-ball to themselves.

Since wrestling really came in in 2006, there hasn't been any significant rule changes, and with defences so much better now, as has bn said, the only solution is to reduce the number on the paddock.

Rules aren't changed, are you for real? So I guess the No-Shoulder-Charge rule and the 7-Tackles-For-Kicking-It-Dead Rule and the Simultaneous-Release-By-Tacklers Rule are just figments of my imagination

DiegoNT

First Grade
Rugby league right now, has the almost perfect mix of attack and defence.
Look at sports like basketball, aussie rules where's there is heaps of scoring both games kinda get boring straight away because their games have no tension. These games are only entertaining in the last minute if the game us close.
On the flip side sports like soccer and union's have to much defence. It's becomes a bore because their are long periods without any action.
We keep changing the rules to improve the attack, but then the balance is gone. Rugby 7s or even the Auckland 9s is all about attacking, open rugby with many long range tries, but it all gets tiresome quick.