What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The off contract thread 2025

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
A whole new bunch of merkins are now free to negotiate:

Off contract (i.e. uncontracted for 2025)
Asi
Harper
Makatoa
Momoisea
Ogden
Rodwell
Simonsson

Relax merkins, they are all cheapies. They're not going to free up half the cap so we can overhaul our shit team that just won the spoon. It's very exciting.

Avenger

Immortal

Asi
Harper
Makatoa
Momoisea
Ogden
Rodwell
Simonsson

Relax merkins, they are all cheapies. They're not going to free up half the cap so we can overhaul our shit team that just won the spoon. It's very exciting.
Am I still on ignore ? I’d like to make a contribution.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Asi
Harper
Makatoa
Momoisea
Ogden
Rodwell
Simonsson

Actually I don’t think Simonsson would be cheap. He’d be on about $300k

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What's the average for a first grade centre? Must be more than 300k?
The good ones would be on at least double that. $300k gets you a minimum standard top 17 outside back. Clubs with 'resources' might get them for $250k. A kid in his first year or two in the top 30 could be on as low as $120k. Think Loizou or Te Whare.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
300k is good value for him then I suppose
I wouldn’t say it’s good value. $300k is the upper limit of what he’s worth. Penisini would’ve been on less than half of that prior to this year. Now I reckon he’s on $400k-$500k. Obviously all just guesses. I don’t f**king know.

ALX25

Bench
Yep, Sanders won't be going to Canberra just for a top 30 spot. They will be offering at least a chance of starting in the NRL in round one. We can't offer that.

If they really want Sanders early then a suitable player swap should eventuate. Ricky should have no issues letting Xavier Savage go.

King-Gutho94

Coach
He’s also after Tom Deardon now. So where does Sanders fit in now?
Wow haven't heard that one. Would be interesting I think Deardon is gettable for a club out there desperately needing a half.

Cowboys have cap issues with Holmes and Taumalolo on big money contracts. Throw in Nanai, Cotter getting big upgrades. Reece Robson is an origin dummy half now.

I think clubs could get deardon for 900-1mill if they throw it at him.

Where does it leave Sanders now hopefully the kid realises Ricky's track record of developing halves is dogshit after 20 years of coaching and avoids the joint.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Based on the NRL.com update:

Asi
Brazel (development contract)
Cini
Dunster (mutual option)
Guymer (development contract)
Harper
Makatoa
Momoisea
Ogden
Rodwell
Sanders (development contract)
Simonsson
Talagi (player option)
Taumoepenu

Delboy

First Grade
I believe there are 3 on that list we would happily release early if the opportunity arises.
The big issue is that no one is interested , NRL R&R hasn’t really lived up to the level we see from the junior rep guys. The top 30 seems a fair bit weaker in each of the past 2 seasons, that’s with an increase in the cap and the clubs financial position improving.
Think some hard questions need to be asked of those in position , again just my opinion.

Latest posts