What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The off contract thread 2025

So we'd assume Ogden will be retained under the Club Option... and the pecking order for re-signing must be:

Greig - multi-year offer
Cartwright - single year only, if no recruitment of younger/better option for 2024

Loizou - wish whoever he is and his manager well with their future endeavours
Blake - offer to drop him at the airport, and watch him board the plane elsewhere

Gronk

Staff member
So we'd assume Ogden will be retained under the Club Option... and the pecking order for re-signing must be:

Greig - multi-year offer
Cartwright - single year only, if no recruitment of younger/better option for 2024

Loizou - wish whoever he is and his manager well with their future endeavours
Blake - offer to drop him at the airport, and watch him board the plane elsewhere
No doubt both Emu and Carty’s managers would have received mucho enquires from other clubs.

I suspect that we will pay the price of BAs talent for developing players, notwithstanding <checks notes> that he is shit according to some.

*Bump*

So which of these merkins are playing their last games for us this weekend?

Off contract (i.e. uncontracted for 2024)
Blake
Cartwright
Greig
Loizou
Ogden (club option)

Chipmunk

Coach
I'd sacrifice Emu if Ice was to come back but we seriously need to replace Loziou and Blake with blokes who play their position and preferably NRL experience.
Papali'i had run is usefulness to the club. He wasn't that great towards the end of his time here. Probably still $200k a year great, but certainly not $600k+ a year great.

Soto

Bench
Just catching up on chats...so have we got Moretti signed? If not we need to ASAP and 2 quality outside backs

King-Gutho94

Coach
If we can offer top 30 spots to the likes of Loizou, Mommamia, Hughes (who?), Hollis, Rein, Arthur etc over recent times surely we can offer a spot to Sanders on potential alone?
Found out on the weekend Big Dave Hollis has given the game away.

Runs his own diesel mechanic business now up in Newcastle after completing his apprenticeship.

It's a shame he never kicked on I think he should have played FG at some stage had the talent.

I think Covid coming in just as he completed his first pre-season with the NRL squad really killed his chances. He then was basically in a wasteland for 2 years with no reserve grade and missed his chance I suppose.

emjaycee

Coach

Runs his own diesel mechanic business now up in Newcastle after completing his apprenticeship.

It's a shame he never kicked on I think he should have played FG at some stage had the talent.

I think Covid coming in just as he completed his first pre-season with the NRL squad really killed his chances. He then was basically in a wasteland for 2 years with no reserve grade and missed his chance I suppose.
Was that BA or MON's fault?

Gazzamatta

Coach

Thanks for sharing KG. 👍

King-Gutho94

Coach
Was that BA or MON's fault?
I don't think it's anyone he was victim of circumstance.

He had a few untimely injuries like a thumb injury at one stage which kept him from going to the Hub in QLD in 2021 as well. Which I think probably got him further down the pecking order.

May have lost confidence as well. Or didn't have the drive that the great players had to make it.

It's a shame he didn't kick on but he has basically worked since he was 17 and completed his apprenticeship by 21 and now runs his own business. Maybe that was his passion not RL.

Gronk

Staff member
If we can offer top 30 spots to the likes of Loizou, Mommamia, Hughes (who?), Hollis, Rein, Arthur etc over recent times surely we can offer a spot to Sanders on potential alone?
You reckon he’s going to get all excited about being warehoused ?

That’s the harsh reality. Unless we have a plan of making Dylan our XFactor fullback and Gutho an inspirational <insert position>, why would he bother ?

^^ BTW I would back this transition. Don’t know how to manage it. Either drop it from Round 1 2024. Ease it across 2024. Or drop it from Round 1 2025. No idea.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, Sanders won't be going to Canberra just for a top 30 spot. They will be offering at least a chance of starting in the NRL in round one. We can't offer that.