What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Offer is $500,000

princess plj

Juniors
i agree with kaz in that kidley is our furture and we do need to sign him but johns is invaluable....its not his fault that he is injury prone....but he brings out the best in the players who play with him and that is very rare in any sport.

stevo

Juniors
Wow, that was a bit of a surprise. i can't see him being worth $500, 000. i think that'll be offered so the knights don't lose him to a bigger offer elsewhere.

I do believe we need him around the club for a few more years to benifit some of the younger players but at the same time can we afford to risk offering kurt and co less money to do this. We may lose them and what will be the point then. We need to look past next season and to the future of the club. keeping joey for another season or two only to lose players that could have been at the knights for the rest of their playing careers is a big gamble.

i think Earl has made a very valid point. johns will still be getting shit loads of money through endorsements from the newcastle area.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It's a $500,000 gamble.
If he can stay on the field, he is worth every cent.
If he cops another injury, the bookie wins.

Johns Magic

Referee
Johns is a God. Really, he has at least 2 more years left in him, barring serious injury. There is no man, in any sport, who can carry and lead a side like he can. Those of us saying that we should let him go are kiddind themselves. Be realistic- with Johns, we are genuine premiership contenders. Without him, we maight put up a fight, and squeeze into the 8, but we are nowhere near the same threat. At the moment, we cannot win a premiership without him. And yes, Kidley is doing a good job, but he is not ready yet. He still cannot dominate games consistently. Plus, Johns in the side will only go further towards developing the players like Kidley, Witt, Ennis , Woolnough, Quinn, Carmont, Ahbraham, etc. and up and comers such as Briggs, Tighe, Tilse, and Snowden. Just his presence at the club is a huge factor, not to mention what he can do on the field. Johns would be able to assist in getting the best out of these players, holding Newcastle in good stead for the next generation. And, as it looks like Kennedy will be leaving at the end of the season. Johns and Bedsy will be the only real leaders, and inspiration men in the team. Johns lifts the team like no other, because those around him realise that they are playing with quite possibly the greatest rugby league player to ever grace the Earth, and they relish the chance to play with him.
Johns is worth every bit of money they throw at him, and alot of people have to realise that such a player cannot be replaced, as they only come around once every generation.

:idea: Lets just pay him 'under the table' Buy him a new monaro and a house.. The NRL would never find out :mrgreen:

princessjen

Juniors
Even though Johns is the best player, I'd hate to see us giving away young players with heaps of potential in order to keep him. $500 000 is way too much :shock: , push it down at least another $80 000

ironcross

Juniors
I agree on the no rep games agreement. If he is getting that sort of money, then he should play for the team for the whole year.

Risa

Bench
Sportsjock said:
maybe Joey might agree to " retire from rep footy " for $500,000?

Hmmmm ,food for thought...

My thoughts exactly. If he made it injury free up to the rep season, imagine how valuable it would be to have him there when the other guys are off? It'd be the same as Brad Fittler is like with the Roosters now.

bluesbreaker

Bench
So, let me get this straight.

Andrew Johns was INSULTED at being offered 350,000 per year?

Where are the people who said his sole motivation wasn't money?

antonius

Coach
Johns Magic said:
Johns is a God. Really, he has at least 2 more years left in him, barring serious injury. There is no man, in any sport, who can carry and lead a side like he can. Those of us saying that we should let him go are kiddind themselves. Be realistic- with Johns, we are genuine premiership contenders. Without him, we maight put up a fight, and squeeze into the 8, but we are nowhere near the same threat. At the moment, we cannot win a premiership without him. And yes, Kidley is doing a good job, but he is not ready yet. He still cannot dominate games consistently. Plus, Johns in the side will only go further towards developing the players like Kidley, Witt, Ennis , Woolnough, Quinn, Carmont, Ahbraham, etc. and up and comers such as Briggs, Tighe, Tilse, and Snowden. Just his presence at the club is a huge factor, not to mention what he can do on the field. Johns would be able to assist in getting the best out of these players, holding Newcastle in good stead for the next generation. And, as it looks like Kennedy will be leaving at the end of the season. Johns and Bedsy will be the only real leaders, and inspiration men in the team. Johns lifts the team like no other, because those around him realise that they are playing with quite possibly the greatest rugby league player to ever grace the Earth, and they relish the chance to play with him.
Johns is worth every bit of money they throw at him, and alot of people have to realise that such a player cannot be replaced, as they only come around once every generation.
Nice sentiments Johns Magic. Unfortunately if we pay Johns $500,000 a season, alot of the players you mention above wont benifit from his knowledge, leadership etc, because they wont be here. As for having another two years left in him Barring serious injury. That hasn't been the case for the past 3 years, so the odds are fairly long that the next two will be any different. $500,000 is way too much IMO.

astrogirl

First Grade
$500,000 per season is well beyond the amount that I thought Johns would be offered.

$350,000 I could deal with but $500k is nearly 15% of the cap, on one player alone - a player who, on the basis of recent history, will not complete the season.

les norton

First Grade
Any one hear the rumour file on MMM this morning....

They said that they had it from a "reliable" source that anderson is getting another team...kimmorley is going with him and joey is heading to the sharks...They just keep coming. :clap:

astrogirl

First Grade
Something else I heard on the Sunday footy show. It doesn't relate to Joey specifically, but could have ramifications for player movements in general.

I heard that there will be team based in France, that has been granted permission to play in the English super league. And that they are extremely cashed up and will obviously be looking for players.

Apparently this was announced on Wednesday but went unnoticed due to SOO.

No rep footy and the 10 year discount could make it worth it. But I've also heard a few things that the bulk of the contract is conditional on playing so many games. So the Knights are putting a lot of conditions on it. Certainly not foolish on their part, if Johns wants the money, he's going to have to play for it.

The team has learned its lessons from him, MacDougall, O'Davis, Hughes and Kennedy in the past.

~knights~

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
No rep footy and the 10 year discount could make it worth it. But I've also heard a few things that the bulk of the contract is conditional on playing so many games. So the Knights are putting a lot of conditions on it. Certainly not foolish on their part, if Johns wants the money, he's going to have to play for it.

The team has learned its lessons from him, MacDougall, O'Davis, Hughes and Kennedy in the past.

That's a good idea.

So the knights aren't so dumb ater all ;-)

Voice of Reason

Juniors
The notion of "what a player is worth" is a flawed concept anyway. If you think players are paid on what they are worth then Loti at $530,000 pa is a better union player than Johns at $500,000 is a league player. What a load of nonesense. Contract bids are based on what players/managers think clubs are able to pay, nothing more, nothing less. It is clear that if the Knights have actually offered the $500k then either BK and/or Tahu have been surrendered. I don't think even Knights management are dumb enough to lose Kidley or Wooly. I personally think that $500k is way to excessive to pay Johns because I would judge any purchase on VALUE. You have to be honest and accept that the last three years, Joe has not been value for money to the Knights. This takes nothing away from his brilliance or anything he has contributed to the club/game in the past, it is simply a business view that deals with reality, risk management and value judgement.

Latest posts