What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official Finals Crowd Thread

VictoryFC

Bench
Walking past Etihad from work, Storm in good voice. Lots of support all around CBD, thought there would have been more than 27k, but decent crowd all things considering.

Also, the result just about guarantees that NRL GF will outrate AFL grand final - for those that really care about these figures :)

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Walking past Etihad from work, Storm in good voice. Lots of support all around CBD, thought there would have been more than 27k, but decent crowd all things considering.

Also, the result just about guarantees that NRL GF will outrate AFL grand final - for those that really care about these figures :)

I said the same thing last year when Manly v Melbourne was up against Geelong v Hawthorn...

But on the 5 state average AFL still beat us by a fair bit... regionals included it was different...

The 5pm kick off hurts us in ratings a bit... if the game is close till the end we should beat AFL...

But hope the Eels win 80 - 0

I've been following rugby league all my life. I never thought I'd see the day when nearly 30,000 people would attend a rugby league game in Melbourne on the day of the oz rules grand final.

The Tank

Bench
I think it's actually a sign of how far we've come that we are disappointed with that attendance.

Goddo

Bench
Etihad doesn't look bad on TV. With 27k it still looked fairly packed, except behind the dead ball line...

I know the NRL was forced into it due to stadium availability, but I think it was a huge positive move for this game to be on AFL grand final day. We are taking the fight right to their capital, and doing well.

I remember when they said they were bringing Melbourne in I was sceptical of the club after the Rams, and Reds experiments. Its taken 11 years, but they are well on their way to being a large one team town like the Broncos.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
27k on the Grand Final Day of the rival code is a phenomenal effort.

Chook Norris

First Grade
read in the paper that this year's finals attendance aggregate, is the highest total ever (not inclduing GF.. but should after Sunday)

Eclipsed the 1998(or 1999) record

Brutus

Referee
Imagine that 27,500 crowd from last night in their new rectangular stadium.

Thank god the new stadium comes into play next year.

Chook Norris

First Grade
HIGHEST COUNT
The NRL last night recorded its highest finals series total attendance (excluding GF) and is poised to record the highest total attendance for a finals series, including GFs. Last night's crowd of 27,687 at Etihad took total attendance for the opening three weeks of the finals series to 268,960 surpassing the record of 256,075 set in 1998. The week three total attendance of 102,236 smashes the mark of 85,587 set in 2005.
source: www.smh.com.au [can't find link, copied from paper]