What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Passion of the Kevin

blaza88z

Coach
Lol how shit are siebold and Kevvy.. apparently they are $1m over the cap

Not sure how you lay any of that blame on Kevvie's shoulders

But yes, Seibold clearly should never be allowed near a club again where one his core responsibilities is to build a squad

hineyrulz

Post Whore

🤣
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

big hit!

Bench
Not sure how you lay any of that blame on Kevvie's shoulders

But yes, Seibold clearly should never be allowed near a club again where one his core responsibilities is to build a squad

I didn't realise coaches also managed the cap.

They may go to the footy manager and say, I'd like this or that fella in the squad, but they're not the ones who make it all fit in the cap and keep an eye on how it may look in several seasons. That is the role of the footy manager. Clearly, the one the Broncos had was a spud. That's Ikin's role now.

And if the Broncos did let Seibold manage the cap (which I highly doubt), then fool on them.

blaza88z

Coach
I didn't realise coaches also managed the cap.

They may go to the footy manager and say, I'd like this or that fella in the squad, but they're not the ones who make it all fit in the cap and keep an eye on how it may look in several seasons. That is the role of the footy manager. Clearly, the one the Broncos had was a spud. That's Ikin's role now.

And if the Broncos did let Seibold manage the cap (which I highly doubt), then fool on them.

How can it not be on the coach? it's HIS roster, HE takes the fall if it turns to shit. You think Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy let their football manager's do all the recruitment without consulting to the coach? It's all on the coach, he makes the decisions, the people around him put it into place.

It really doesn't matter though in the end because the football manager, coach and CEO who were in charge of the horrendous decisions are all gone and in the couple of months since you'd have to say the club is moving in the right direction.

I think you as a Souths fans will see what a loss Bennett is, I have a suspicion that he is the football manager and coach. Our recruitment went from signing Payne Haas to long term deals (which is now a bargain buy) to throwing the bank at blokes like Lodge and Flegler. The coach absolutely makes that decision and on top of that to further my point, our recruitment manager never changed from Bennett to Seibold, so clearly the bloke making the decisions either started making the wrong ones or was taking advice from someone who had no idea. I am suggesting the latter.

big hit!

Bench
How can it not be on the coach? it's HIS roster, HE takes the fall if it turns to shit. You think Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy let their football manager's do all the recruitment without consulting to the coach? It's all on the coach, he makes the decisions, the people around him put it into place.

It really doesn't matter though in the end because the football manager, coach and CEO who were in charge of the horrendous decisions are all gone and in the couple of months since you'd have to say the club is moving in the right direction.

I think you as a Souths fans will see what a loss Bennett is, I have a suspicion that he is the football manager and coach. Our recruitment went from signing Payne Haas to long term deals (which is now a bargain buy) to throwing the bank at blokes like Lodge and Flegler. The coach absolutely makes that decision and on top of that to further my point, our recruitment manager never changed from Bennett to Seibold, so clearly the bloke making the decisions either started making the wrong ones or was taking advice from someone who had no idea. I am suggesting the latter.

The coach has an influence on recruitment and roster building, but the contract specifics and how the NRL 30 fit inside the salary cap is not in their control. That's the domain of the Football Manager. The person you initially responded to bagging Kevvie mentioned that the Donkeys could be $1m over the cap. You instead bagged Seibold. Ultimately, that's got little to do with the coach and everything to do with the football manager.

What is your suspicion that Bennett is the football manager at Souths? Shane Richardson was the football manager when he arrived, and Mark Ellison is the current manager. Same at Melbourne with Ponissi as Football Manager. What guys like Bennett and Bellamy is influence which they've earned after decades of results. If Brisbane gave Seibold, or even Walters this level of influence, then that's another breakdown in their process.

The Mules were making dumb decisions before Seibold got there. What were they paying Boyd & Milford? Who brought in Bird on big coin? Who recruited Lodge?

A smart club would have a development, recruitment, retention manager/team. They’d do the contracts etc.
They’d purchase the players they would think would do the job.
Then they’d hire a coach and his job would be to coach the talent at his disposal.

Seems to work in the trillion dollar NFL.

Pretty Penny

Juniors
Yes you cant blame Seibold or Kevviee for the Broncos mess. Years ago they got complacent AND started to think they could rock up with any player and win. Their salary cap ballooned out of control and some of the decisions are purely based on that and they have spilt over for years and years and no matter who the coach was there would be problems.

A smart club would have a development, recruitment, retention manager/team. They’d do the contracts etc.
They’d purchase the players they would think would do the job.
Then they’d hire a coach and his job would be to coach the talent at his disposal.

Seems to work in the trillion dollar NFL.

Indeed. If you want an example of how a controlling coach who gains hiring and firing powers from a Recruitment Manager, you only need to look at Ricky Stuart when he was at the Roosters. When Ricky started at the Roosters in 2002, Arthur Beetson was the club's Recruitment Manager. Over time, Ricky centralised all decisions with him, including recruitment and retention. As such when Brad Fittler retired, and then Jason Cayless was signed by St Helens, Ricky did little to replace them. He had no succession plan in place, in a desperation ploy he signed Brett Firman, but he never signed a front rower to replace Cayless. Hence we went from 3 straight Grand Finals to also rans due to his plans.

In fact Beetson quit as he felt he was getting the blame when he said Ricky was making all the calls and just ignoring him.

That is why years later they poached Peter O'Sullivan from the Storm as they realised you need a good Recruitment Manager. Whilst he left due to his off field links to organised gambling, he helped get the club back on track in terms of recruitment.

Indeed. If you want an example of how a controlling coach who gains hiring and firing powers from a Recruitment Manager, you only need to look at Ricky Stuart when he was at the Roosters. When Ricky started at the Roosters in 2002, Arthur Beetson was the club's Recruitment Manager. Over time, Ricky centralised all decisions with him, including recruitment and retention. As such when Brad Fittler retired, and then Jason Cayless was signed by St Helens, Ricky did little to replace them. He had no succession plan in place, in a desperation ploy he signed Brett Firman, but he never signed a front rower to replace Cayless. Hence we went from 3 straight Grand Finals to also rans due to his plans.

In fact Beetson quit as he felt he was getting the blame when he said Ricky was making all the calls and just ignoring him.

That is why years later they poached Peter O'Sullivan from the Storm as they realised you need a good Recruitment Manager. Whilst he left due to his off field links to organised gambling, he helped get the club back on track in terms of recruitment.
Wasn’t there a story that Gus approached Ricky about taking on a young Jonathan Thurston but Ricky preferred Brett Finch?

blaza88z

Coach
Every club that Bennett has left has gone to shit, clearly the way he runs the team and football department takes it out of the hands of the people around him, yes they've all got people employed to run the football department I fully understand that but I am suggesting he runs everything from top to bottom .. it's just happened too consistently to be more than just his ability to coach the players

When Bennett left us we went from being a premiership threat to barely threatening to beat the local state cup team.. and that's been consistent with every other club he has left

simmo05

Bench
Every club that Bennett has left has gone to shit, clearly the way he runs the team and football department takes it out of the hands of the people around him, yes they've all got people employed to run the football department I fully understand that but I am suggesting he runs everything from top to bottom .. it's just happened too consistently to be more than just his ability to coach the players

When Bennett left us we went from being a premiership threat to barely threatening to beat the local state cup team.. and that's been consistent with every other club he has left
Fingers crossed for next year then!