What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Passion of the Kevin

Reflector

Juniors
Maybe Ikin will turn out to be good. I cannot see into the future.

But the broncos remind me a little of a shit unnamed club based out of an area near the ACT that cause much mental anguish and baldness in the supporter base

because picking an old boy for coach to inspire some passion and putting another one in as director of football is dangerous close to how the family farm works down at the Canberra Rs..... no that is too obvious the C Raiders.
Obviously talking about the Queanbeyan Blues here, right?

Darren Lockyer, Kevin Walters, Steve Walters and Allan Langer. Great footballers, but not the sharpest tools in the shed.

It's become a country bumpkin-style club and the onfield results reflect it. For years its fans mocked Cowboys fans as backwards yokels from the country, but Broncos are run by exactly those sort of people.

big hit!

Bench
That's because the Storm have had a couple of really good recruitment Managers. The Broncos have not had a decent recruitment Manager since the late Cyril Connell retired. It shows by the players they either knocked back (e.g. Cronk, Smith) or the players they did recruit (e.g. Matt Lodge, Milford) over the last 12 or so years.

Smith and Cronk were knocked back by the Broncos 20 years ago.

Melbourne recruit character, not just ability. They weed out the shit stains who blame everyone else and take no responsibility for their actions before Ponissi and Bellamy meet them. The recruiters know that Frank and Craig will say no if they don't pass the 'coffee test', no matter how talented they might be.

Brisbane have only recruited based on a player's perceived or potential football ability over the last 10 years which is why they're a mess when the going gets tough

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Nathan Brown was given longer to rebuild at the Knights. So was Craig Coleman now you mention it. It does seem unfair if the axe was to fall on Kevin Walters after one season. That's why I think the Coleman comparison is premature and unfair.

Ben Ikin has been given roles as head of football operations, not CEO. I'm pretty sure he's job will be more into the football side of things. So I'm not sure why your mocking his lack of credentials in business makes him a ill advised appointment.
The team souths hobbled together for reentry and Coleman was barely Reserve grade standard.

mongoose

Coach
Its funny watching everything unfold for the Broncos over the last couple of years. I live in Brisbane and the typical Broncos fan is hilariously arrogant and delusional. I know lots of them and up until probably halfway through 2020 they all believe that every year they will win the premiership just cause they're the Broncos and even when they don't win it (which is now 15 years and counting) a part of them still thinks they are the best team in the NRL. I have no doubt a similar attitude exists within the club itself and hence they have become extremely complacent over the years.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Its funny watching everything unfold for the Broncos over the last couple of years. I live in Brisbane and the typical Broncos fan is hilariously arrogant and delusional. I know lots of them and up until probably halfway through 2020 they all believe that every year they will win the premiership just cause they're the Broncos and even when they don't win it (which is now 15 years and counting) a part of them still thinks they are the best team in the NRL. I have no doubt a similar attitude exists within the club itself and hence they have become extremely complacent over the years.
Probably very similar to raiders fans between 88 and 94

davi

Juniors
The team souths hobbled together for reentry and Coleman was barely Reserve grade standard.

Craig Coleman has said the roster was a dud when he was there as coach. I've seen Coleman in another interview admit he wasn't ready and in hindsight he would have liked to been a assistant under Tim Sheens for a couple of years.

Broncos really messed up their salary cap. The contracts of Bird and Milford were putrid, and Milford is barely playing a fifth of his millon dollar contract. Milford has been stinking it for the last three years. Hardly, can blame Walters for not being a magician and turning him around. Broncos are still paying half of Birds contract for this year.

lynx000

Juniors
Melbourne never had a monopoly on QLD juniors. Teams in their initial seasons were made up of the best of the Reds and Mariners.

C.Smith and Cronk were QLD juniors the Broncos could've had, but overlooked because they weren't considered good enough by them. It supposedly burned the players so bad that it drove them to work hard and succeed when they got their chance in Melbourne.
This is a bullshit rumour that is wrong. The Broncos offered Smith a contract, he chose Melbourne because he thought it was more likely that he would break into 1st grade there.

big hit!

Bench
This is a bullshit rumour that is wrong. The Broncos offered Smith a contract, he chose Melbourne because he thought it was more likely that he would break into 1st grade there.

it’s not rumour when it’s verified by Smith himself.

Last edited:

lynx000

Juniors
it’s not rumour when it’s verified by Smith himself.
I would suggest you do a bit more research:

Reflector

Juniors
As I said earlier in this thread, a lot of Broncos fans are still in a state of shock at the current predicament of a team some of them have supported since 1988. Up until the last 18 months or so, a bad season was stumbling into a post-Origin slump and getting knocked out week 1 of the finals. Finishing outside the finals warranted sacking the coach (i.e Henjack in 2010) because "we're the Broncos". But to be the worst club in the competition with a capital W- that was always the domain of their cousins up north or down the M1 or NSW teams like Souths or Parra or Newcastle. But not them. That kind of thing would never happen to them because they're the Broncos and they're too good for that.

Now it's happening and the security of the thoroughbreds/ Wayne Bennett/ a new bunch of Qld superstars/ being the #1 team in Qld/ not being as bad as at least half the other clubs in the competition has all been ripped away from them and now they're supporting a team that isn't just arguably the worst in the current comp, but one of the poorest of the NRL era. The '99 Magpies, 2003 Bunnies or 2016 Knights would all be geared up to play the current Broncos outfit. They would all be saying "We're a chance here"- and they'd be right. That's how bad they are.

To the Broncos fans who carried on like swinging dicks for years and thought the haters all secretly envied them, the schadenfreude is glorious. To the decent ones, many of you who post here- as the great intellect Mario Fenech once said: the wheel turns. The next time Brisbane win an NRL Grand Final (hopefully not for a long time yet, mind you) it will arguably feel better than any other GF the Broncos have won to date and it will be especially memorable.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
As I said earlier in this thread, a lot of Broncos fans are still in a state of shock at the current predicament of a team some of them have supported since 1988. Up until the last 18 months or so, a bad season was stumbling into a post-Origin slump and getting knocked out week 1 of the finals. Finishing outside the finals warranted sacking the coach (i.e Henjack in 2010) because "we're the Broncos". But to be the worst club in the competition with a capital W- that was always the domain of their cousins up north or down the M1 or NSW teams like Souths or Parra or Newcastle. But not them. That kind of thing would never happen to them because they're the Broncos and they're too good for that.

Now it's happening and the security of the thoroughbreds/ Wayne Bennett/ a new bunch of Qld superstars/ being the #1 team in Qld/ not being as bad as at least half the other clubs in the competition has all been ripped away from them and now they're supporting a team that isn't just arguably the worst in the current comp, but one of the poorest of the NRL era.

To the Broncos fans who carried on like swinging dicks for years and thought the haters all secretly envied them, the schadenfreude feels wonderful. To the decent ones, many of you who post here- as the great intellect Mario Fenech once said: the wheel turns. The next time Brisbane win an NRL Grand Final (hopefully not for a long time yet, mind you) it will arguably feel better than any other GF the Broncos have won to date and it will be especially memorable.

Agree, well said

Reflector

Juniors
I would suggest you do a bit more research:

Wayne "The Policeman" Bennett vs. Cam "Could've sold real estate on the Gold Coast" Smith. I don't know who to believe out of the two of them.

Also cute to see Smith snr. defend Cameron against the nasty people who say unkind things about his son. Cameron would ship his parents of to that shitty nursing home in 'Happy Gilmore' if the NRL reinstated the Storm's 2 stripped Premierships and everybody knows it.

lynx000

Juniors
Wayne "The Policeman" Bennett vs. Cam "Could've sold real estate on the Gold Coast" Smith. I don't know who to believe out of the two of them.

Also cute to see Smith snr. defend Cameron against the nasty people who say unkind things about his son. Cameron would ship his parents of to that shitty nursing home in 'Happy Gilmore' if the NRL reinstated the Storm's 2 stripped Premierships and everybody knows it.
Well, there were 4 adults in the room and a 17 year old. One of the adults is dead, the agent has said nothing and Bennett and Smith Snr have the same version of the conversation.