What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pearce Problem

Hutty1986

Immortal
the crucial field goal opportunity goes to Dugan (and tbf, he almost pulled it off considering the shit pass he got from farah and then having to dodge tackles & get himself into position to have a shot).

just shows how much confidence they have in the halves if your FB gets the shot at FG in Origin at the most crucial stage of the game. You'll never see Slater or Inglis (should he play FB) have a shot at field goal in Origin.

and don't get me started on the 5th tackle run the ball play with Jennings eventually kicking it. NSW halves need to take responsibility, that's why you have been picked ffs.

the difference in the origin halves is that you could put JT or Cronk into the worst team in the NRL and that team would look decent if not a contending team. Pearce & Hokko just don't have that. the only one that would come close is Soward IMO.

Pearce has been given 13 chances, give Soward the same. you'll get a better return for sure.

thoughts on a Soward/A.Reynolds half pairing? id like to see it given a chance,

It would be the best combination NSW could come up with, easily.

I agree .
There is plenty of kicking talent there .
A good short & long kicking game is what is sadly lacking in NSW .
Both those halves have great short kicking games .

But don't tell Daley .
As a Qlder I like his currentl selections .

lockyno1

Post Whore
It would be the best combination NSW could come up with, easily.

Ideally I would go Austin/A.Reynolds if I were NSW. Running 5/8th with the control of Reynolds. Also would be keen in 2 years to have Keary next to Reynolds they combine so well. That is purely looking as a neutral. Soward probably isn't needed if A.Reynolds is there.

gUt

Coach
Ideally I would go Austin/A.Reynolds if I were NSW. Running 5/8th with the control of Reynolds. Also would be keen in 2 years to have Keary next to Reynolds they combine so well. That is purely looking as a neutral. Soward probably isn't needed if A.Reynolds is there.

Yep Austin/Reynolds or Austin/Soward would worry me more than any other combo. Too bad for NSW that both Soward and Reynolds are busted this season. Who is the next best tactical kicker available to them at half?

6. Austin 7. Maloney?

Hardly frightening. Poor blues.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Lol .
Who agrees .
Some roosters fans & some not too bright Nsw fans .

When forwards are evenly matched, which was the case for this game, then they have done their job .
It is up to the halves to keep the pressure on .
Repeat sets are needed, if not, a kick that will pin the opposition down & have them starting their set in their own 10 mts .
The halves for NSW continually failed to do this ....Pearce has failed to do this in every SOO he has played in
So yes it is their fault .
That is their job as the playmakers .

If he can't do it, get someone who has a decent kicking game .
As a QLDER ,I could name a few who worry me far more than Pearce .

how do you get repeat sets when you're repeatedly kicking off your 30 behind a slow play the ball ya plank, in the first half, the blues halves outkicked your lot.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yep Austin/Reynolds or Austin/Soward would worry me more than any other combo. Too bad for NSW that both Soward and Reynolds are busted this season. Who is the next best tactical kicker available to them at half?

6. Austin 7. Maloney?

Hardly frightening. Poor blues.

Maloney isn't too bad, he is at least better than Pearce. Sam Williams would be an option. In fact a Williams/Austin combo could work. They combine well.

lockyno1

Post Whore
how do you get repeat sets when you're repeatedly kicking off your 30 behind a slow play the ball ya plank, in the first half, the blues halves outkicked your lot.

You don't kick it straight to the fullback, then the next set you are closer, then so on. Repeat sets are what won QLD the game easily.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
You don't kick it straight to the fullback, then the next set you are closer, then so on. Repeat sets are what won QLD the game easily.

yeah it's as easy as it sounds finding grass on tackle 5 kicking from your own 30. another couch expert. remind me how many repeat sets and trys qld got with all the possession they had in the 2nd half?

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
they got 1 try to nsw's 0. perhaps nsw should investigate the art of scoring points past the 27th minute, I believe it would help them win matches.

SBD82

Coach

This is not how i saw it.

In the 1st half our forwards won the ruck and QLD's kicking game kept them in it.

How long can you defend Pearce? Instead of responding to criticism I'd like to hear what he actually brings to the team that no other half can.

At the moment all I can see is him laughing and hugging Cam Smith.

How do you think QLD feels when we pick him series after series. Do you think he strikes fear in them? When cronk returned last year for the 3rd game I was devastated because I know what he will bring. Do you actually think there is one Qlder in the world who was thinking "oh f#@k. Pearce is back to this series. No way we can win now..."

Craig Johnston

First Grade
This is not how i saw it.

In the 1st half our forwards won the ruck and QLD's kicking game kept them in it.

How long can you defend Pearce? Instead of responding to criticism I'd like to hear what he actually brings to the team that no other half can.

At the moment all I can see is him laughing and hugging Cam Smith.

How do you think QLD feels when we pick him series after series. Do you think he strikes fear in them? When cronk returned last year for the 3rd game I was devastated because I know what he will bring. Do you actually think there is one Qlder in the world who was thinking "oh f#@k. Pearce is back to this series. No way we can win now..."

well that's where you're going wrong to start with.

first half nsw possession 51% = blues up 4 points
2nd half qld possession 58% = qld up 5 points

the forwards lost it, the sooner you realise this, the sooner we actually win a game instead of recycling halves

SBD82

Coach
yeah it's as easy as it sounds finding grass on tackle 5 kicking from your own 30. another couch expert. remind me how many repeat sets and trys qld got with all the possession they had in the 2nd half?

No. It's not easy finding the grass.

That's why you shouldn't leave it in the hands of someone who has proved time and time again to be completely incapable of it.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
No. It's not easy finding the grass.

That's why you shouldn't leave it in the hands of someone who has proved time and time again to be completely incapable of it.

we didn't, it was meant to be in hodkinson's hands but he failed to step up....repeatedly on the night

no name

Coach
well that's where you're going wrong to start with.

first half nsw possession 51% = blues up 4 points
2nd half qld possession 58% = qld up 5 points

the forwards lost it, the sooner you realise this, the sooner we actually win a game instead of recycling halves

The NSW forwards didn't lose the game.
Thy were well on top until some f**king dope failed to find touch from a penalty.
Repeat sets ensued, and the team didn't recover.
Kicking the ball dead with 7 to go didn't help either.

chigurh

So a quick summary of the fallout:

- The fans want Pearce gone
- The media wants Pearce gone and Maloney in
- The coach thinks Pearce was terrific
- The fans want Cordner gone
- One ex NSW Origin star doesn't want Gallen picked even if fit
- One ex NSW Origin star doesn't want Farah to captain ever again
- Gallen is shocked at the utilization of the bench
- Farah passed the ball to the wrong person because his shoulder was sore

SBD82

Coach
we didn't, it was meant to be in hodkinson's hands but he failed to step up....repeatedly on the night

*sigh*

We clearly did not see the same things from that game nor from Pearce's previous performances. Probably no point continuing this vein.

Tell me, what do you think I he does well? I think his defence is good, but I would struggle to identify anything else he does consistently well at origin level.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Pearce was great in the 1st half. Easily the best half on the field for the first 40min.

Unfortunately in the second half NSW had zero ball. The QLD spine put on a masterclass of game management.

Clearly it's Hodkinson that needs to go. That touch finder was atrocious. I'd put Soward in there.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
So a quick summary of the fallout:

- The fans want Pearce gone
- The media wants Pearce gone and Maloney in
- The coach thinks Pearce was terrific
- The fans want Cordner gone
- One ex NSW Origin star doesn't want Gallen picked even if fit
- One ex NSW Origin star doesn't want Farah to captain ever again
- Gallen is shocked at the utilization of the bench
- Farah passed the ball to the wrong person because his shoulder was sore

all blues legends believe pearce had a great game

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...inson-for-nsw-blues-state-of-origin-game-two/

fans and media with an agenda think he was poor

lockyno1

Post Whore

QLD got at least 2-3 repeat sets, it was at least 2. It isn't easy finding the grass...that is why you get someone in there that can....like Jamie Soward,Adam Reynolds (inj.), etc.

Latest posts