What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pearce Problem

Apey

Staff member
Pearce was okay, it says a lot about how bad he's been in the past that his game last night is being described as 'good' though. I'd say it was excellent... by his standards. As everyone else has pointed out, Hodkinson was a much bigger problem, and well our forwards got completely dominated in the second half. All you can really blame the brain's trust for in the second half is when they collectively shit the bed with the game on the line and forgot about a field goal.

betcats

Referee
Hodkinson is so out of form for the Dogs, he is kicking goals 20percent below his career average, that shows he is completely out of sorts. He will struggling to retain his FG spot at the Dogs soon the way Mbye has been playing. Seriously couldn't find touch on penaly when we were desperate for it and couldn't call for a field goal.

Its f**king ridiculous out of form players like Hodkinson and Hoppa get waltzed into the blues side. Grow some f**king balls NSW and stop picking so conservatively. There is big f**king difference between picking an out of form Inglis or slater or Thurston compared to picking the out of form shit merkins we continually pick.

reanimate

Bench
Pearce was okay, it says a lot about how bad he's been in the past that his game last night is being described as 'good' though. I'd say it was excellent... by his standards. As everyone else has pointed out, Hodkinson was a much bigger problem, and well our forwards got completely dominated in the second half. All you can really blame the brain's trust for in the second half is when they collectively shit the bed with the game on the line and forgot about a field goal.

Yeah, that's it, he finally brought his club form to Origin- he's never been one of the best halves in the comp but at club level he's at least been dependable and reliable to be just above average as a half, defend strongly and provide good support play. That's what he was supposed to do for the Blues and last night he finally delivered a decent, average game of his.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Yeah, that's it, he finally brought his club form to Origin- he's never been one of the best halves in the comp but at club level he's at least been dependable and reliable to be just above average as a half, defend strongly and provide good support play. That's what he was supposed to do for the Blues and last night he finally delivered a decent, average game of his.

That's what he's there for?
To kick straight to slater without any pressure, letting qld get a rolling start?
To get no repeat sets so we can't build pressure?
To throw hospital balls to the edge players and give them no chance to run?
To completely botch an easy field goal situation?
Chuck in a few errors
If that's the best we can hope to get from pearce then we have huge problems

reanimate

Bench
That's what he's there for?
To kick straight to slater without any pressure, letting qld get a rolling start?
To get no repeat sets so we can't build pressure?
To throw hospital balls to the edge players and give them no chance to run?
To completely botch an easy field goal situation?
Chuck in a few errors
If that's the best we can hope to get from pearce then we have huge problems

Yeah, he's bad, but he's been downright pathetic in the past. That performance last night was more in line with his club performances- some good, some bad, mostly middle of the road play. I'm not saying he should be there, but that last night was basically what he's been picked for in the past, to just be consistently average and defend well. The problem is that he's never delivered on the promise of even being average in the past before.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Yeah, he's bad, but he's been downright pathetic in the past. That performance last night was more in line with his club performances- some good, some bad, mostly middle of the road play. I'm not saying he should be there, but that last night was basically what he's been picked for in the past, to just be consistently average and defend well. The problem is that he's never delivered on the promise of even being average in the past before.

I think the roosters had the perfect game plan in the 2013 grand final, don't let him do anything and let maloney and sbw take control. Pearce's strength is he's enthusiasm and his running game, in a sense his similar to josh reynolds and Austin (and both are as good or better then him at that). Any time he has any responsibility controlling or managing a team he falls to pieces, especially if it's a tight game. Hodkinson was supposedly there to take over the controlling of the team, but pearce took over ( whether it was pearce trying to do to much or a game plan from daley, it didn't work). Really a halves combo adam Reynolds to kick and control ( a Cooper Cronk role) and someone to just compete and try and give the team a spark (the thurston role)

Last edited:
Pearce was the second best half on the ground, only Cronk who was arguably the MOTM was better. He was great in the first half for NSW, had a try assist, threatening runs and some good kicks. I have to laugh at the morons who think because the kicks didn't find the grass it's a bad kick. He isolated Slater centimeters out from his own line.

In the second half he wasn't as dominant because his forwards were complete shit. He had to play the entire game in his own half. Coupled with the fact he had an injured Farah and a MIA Hodkinson to work with it's a surprise he did as well as he did. The botched field goal attempts were on Hodkinson and Farah more then Pearce. Mitchell is not a FG kicker and he set Hodkinson up for an attempt at one nicely but he passed instead, Farah also made some poor decisions when in the dying stages.

I know Daley has said they'll both keep their spot but as a QLDer an Adam Reynolds and Pearce combo would scare me the most.

oldmancraigy

Coach
He isolated Slater centimeters out from his own line..

He was kicking bombs to Slater from 45 out, and while they were being taken 5m out, the chasers were still 20m away.

Face the facts, he was rubbish (yet again).

NSW lost on field position, the chief culprit being the kicking game of Pearce.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Man you guys are f**ked...

I'll assume you never watched the game.

How can you not be impressed with Pearce????? Ill admit that he had zero creativity and always seemed like he had rarely had the backs involved besides just randomly zipping through a long ball wanting them to do something. Or how about the part where he put up midfield bombs which were easily diffused and then returned back by Chambers and Slater who ate so many metres.

Okay...he was pretty crap, so was Hodkinson. Our halves suck. The best creative part in our attack was Dugan and I hate giving him credit!

Pearce was the second best half on the ground, only Cronk who was arguably the MOTM was better. He was great in the first half for NSW, had a try assist, threatening runs and some good kicks. I have to laugh at the morons who think because the kicks didn't find the grass it's a bad kick. He isolated Slater centimeters out from his own line.

In the second half he wasn't as dominant because his forwards were complete shit. He had to play the entire game in his own half. Coupled with the fact he had an injured Farah and a MIA Hodkinson to work with it's a surprise he did as well as he did. The botched field goal attempts were on Hodkinson and Farah more then Pearce. Mitchell is not a FG kicker and he set Hodkinson up for an attempt at one nicely but he passed instead, Farah also made some poor decisions when in the dying stages.

I know Daley has said they'll both keep their spot but as a QLDer an Adam Reynolds and Pearce combo would scare me the most.

Nurse,Nurse,Nuuuuuurse!!!!!!

SBD82

Coach
Did anyone else see Pearce hugging Cam Smith on the way into the sheds at halftime? Thought it was pretty weird.

Any idea wtf that was about?

Apey

Staff member
I have to laugh at the morons who think because the kicks didn't find the grass it's a bad kick. He isolated Slater centimeters out from his own line.

Mute the commentary next time. Those kicks were f**king shit.

I agree with you he was the 2nd best half on ground though.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The comments that it's his best game yet, and that it'll be soon that he'll develop into the match winner is a real worry

Andrew Johns- 23 origin games
Ricky Stuart- 14 origin games
Mitchell Pearce- 13 origin games
Peter Sterling- 13 origin games
Brett Kimmorley- 10 origin games
Steve Mortimer- 9 origin games

We can't keep waiting for him to come good
Cooper Cronk has only played 14 and a half games in comparison

soc123_au

Staff member
The comments that it's his best game yet, and that it'll be soon that he'll develop into the match winner is a real worry

Andrew Johns- 23 origin games
Ricky Stuart- 14 origin games
Mitchell Pearce- 13 origin games
Peter Sterling- 13 origin games
Brett Kimmorley- 10 origin games
Steve Mortimer- 9 origin games

We can't keep waiting for him to come good
Cooper Cronk has only played 14 and a half games in comparison

Quite a few of Joey's games weren't in the halves. Junior Junior could become the most capped half in Blues history. :lol::lol:

kokz2014

Juniors
NSW got a penalty and FAILED to make the sideline? Which DONKEY missed the sideline kick; Pearce or Hodko in the 2nd half? Very vital and at a crucial moment. You can not do that against QLD. Piss me off.

Overall NSW had the better forwards; Woods, Tamou, Klemmer, and Fifita.
Guys, I'm not really feeling Hoffman here? I think too many concussions dropped his form?? Beau Scott had a strong game. They better drop Jackson always said he is only a defense guy. Gallen back easy swap. I think Frizel should play in game 2 and start him for Hoffman. Hell if NSW can start someone like Jackson then it shouldn't be a problem.

Our halves had no control and some times too indecisive?

I hope we can turn it around and upset in game 2 and 3 at Suncorp?

BLUES UP!

Parra

Referee
2010- Pearce and Barrett. Barrett has the experience to help pearce through the game. Result=blues lose

2011- Pearce and Soward. Sowards kicking game and creativity will help out pearce. Result= blues lose

2012- Pearce and Carney. Carneys combination with roosters from a few years back will help take pressure of pearce. Result= blues lose

2013- Pearce and Maloney. Maloney is bringing a maturity and calmness to Pearce's game and we'll finally see the best from him. Result= blues lose

2014- No Pearce. Result= blues win

2015- Pearce and hodkinson. Hodkinson will steer the team around and mitchell can just focus on his own game and show us the real mitchell and lead us to glory. Result= doesn't look bloody good from here

Exactly.

Parra

Referee
Did anyone else see Pearce hugging Cam Smith on the way into the sheds at halftime? Thought it was pretty weird.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that was weird.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Looked like it was a Corey Parker sanctioned remake of Queensland captain Wally Lewis and NSWs intellectually challenged Mark Geyer communicating with each other.