What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pearce Problem

Hutty1986

Immortal
Pearce was great in the 1st half. Easily the best half on the field for the first 40min.

Unfortunately in the second half NSW had zero ball. The QLD spine put on a masterclass of game management.

Clearly it's Hodkinson that needs to go. That touch finder was atrocious. I'd put Soward in there.

I think Pearce showed he has a bit more confidence at this level and I think that ball for Scott's try would have given him a lot of confidence. Nearly darted over a try himself and played behind an absolutely gutless pack in the second half. Shouldn't be the target here as much as Hokko imo.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Pearce was great in the 1st half. Easily the best half on the field for the first 40min.

If that is him being 'great' there are big issues. Was okay, threw 1 good pass, apart from that kicked the ball straight to Slater. Honestly Slater would dead set have been thinking he was doing high ball catching practice all night long! He never drops it, so why do it!

As a QLD'er...please pick Myth...3/13:lol:

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Why not have two running halves. If our intent is to put up bombs midfield we don't need a kicker. Assuming Farah plays he isn't too bad at kicking either. Why not a Pearce Austin combo.

At the least we would have a halves combo that would continually run and offer some off the cuff type plays .something we've lacked since day 1 lol.

This is not how i saw it.

In the 1st half our forwards won the ruck and QLD's kicking game kept them in it.

How long can you defend Pearce? Instead of responding to criticism I'd like to hear what he actually brings to the team that no other half can.

At the moment all I can see is him laughing and hugging Cam Smith.

How do you think QLD feels when we pick him series after series. Do you think he strikes fear in them? When cronk returned last year for the 3rd game I was devastated because I know what he will bring. Do you actually think there is one Qlder in the world who was thinking "oh f#@k. Pearce is back to this series. No way we can win now..."

Attachments

• 942368_529423580444440_1066982318_n.jpg
    942368_529423580444440_1066982318_n.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 9

DiegoNT

First Grade

Similar to what blues fan think of when Queensland pick dave taylor, unfortunately Queensland realized they were onto a dud their and stopped picking him

Joker's Wild

Coach
Keep telling yourself that

- Awful kicking game, and that is both of them! Did they have 1 kick that wasn't straight to Slater all night long? That is the halves fault!
- Not setting up for FG's...again both their fault.
- Not getting repeat sets- again the halves problem

3/13...keep picking him please :lol:

Yes, quite a few mostly from Hokko

The reaction of QLD fans when Mythchell is selected:

80040-thank-you-dear-sweet-baby-jesu-JvU1.jpeg

imgres

imgres

lockyno1

Post Whore
Lets cut to the chase, the girl in the yellow dress should have got the medal last year! She won NSW the series!

SBD82

Coach
well that's where you're going wrong to start with.

first half nsw possession 51% = blues up 4 points
2nd half qld possession 58% = qld up 5 points

the forwards lost it, the sooner you realise this, the sooner we actually win a game instead of recycling halves

I don't agree. But I know I am not going to change your mind.

Any chance of answering my question? what does Pearce do well consistently that no other half can do for us?

Craig Johnston

First Grade
I don't agree. But I know I am not going to change your mind.

Any chance of answering my question? what does Pearce do well consistently that no other half can do for us?

best nsw form halfback in the competition this season by far, did you see the stats on halves combos last night, him and maloney are blowing the competition away with their try assists this season.

but still irrelevant because i've given facts to go back to the forwards being the reason we lost and your response is no i still don't think so. so you've said enough right there

SBD82

Coach
best nsw form halfback in the competition this season by far, did you see the stats on halves combos last night, him and maloney are blowing the competition away with their try assists this season.

but still irrelevant because i've given facts to go back to the forwards being the reason we lost and your response is no i still don't think so. so you've said enough right there

Your stats didn't prove anything.

I chose to avoid that argument because this is how i saw it playing out:

Me: what do those stats prove? Territory and ball possession are the job of an entire team. When the QLD team was struggling and NSW were making metres down the ruck, their halves kicked them out of trouble.

When we were dominating field position and possession we should have put three tries on minimum. But we didn't because Pearce and hodkinson couldn't get us repeat sets. If they had done so possession in the first half would have been more like 60:40.

When the QLD side had the upper hand in the second half they were able to sustain pressure on us because their halves (mainly Cronk) directed things really well. When we had an opportunity to kick our way out of trouble through a relieving penalty our halves failed us again. Our forwards' heads went down.

Then you would say: yes but you can't blame Pearce for that. He wasn't supposed to control the game. Hodkinson was supposed to do that and failed.

And I would say: So what was the point of picking him in the first place? Why is he there? What is he supposed to do for our NSW team and what did he to to justify his ongoing selection?

And then you would point out his club form. Again. Which I don't dispute. But it's not the point now is it? I just thought I would save us some time.

Pearce does not do anything at origin level consistently well. And never has. This game was not an anomaly.

Shorty

Staff member

Pearce has always had good stats, but it doesn't translate when he plays for NSW.
He doesn't have the creativity or thinking.

RWB

Bench
Blaming Pearce for SOO 1 is the easy way out for those who lack the intellect to actually break down & analyse a game of Rugby League.

No one's saying he had a great game but he's no where near as poor as a lot try to make out. NSW only had the one set inside Qld's 20m zone in the second half. QLD had 10.

Yet people are questioning NSW's inability to come up with points... just doesn't make sense when you think about it, does it?

"NSW only had the one set inside Qld's 20m zone in the second half. QLD had 10."

Which tells one that the difference between the two teams amounts to more than one point.

SBD82

Coach
Blaming Pearce for SOO 1 is the easy way out for those who lack the intellect to actually break down & analyse a game of Rugby League.

No one's saying he had a great game but he's no where near as poor as a lot try to make out. NSW only had the one set inside Qld's 20m zone in the second half. QLD had 10.

Yet people are questioning NSW's inability to come up with points... just doesn't make sense when you think about it, does it?

The loss was not all Pearce's fault. Another straw man argument.

Perhaps with your keen intellect and ability to analyze and break down the game of rugby league you will be able to answer the question that the other Pearce defenders on this forum can't.

What has Pearce done consistently well in origin?