What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Place Where We Discuss Diaries

Misanthrope

Staff member
Cheers for the in depth thoughts, mate! I did try to tread the line between keeping current TNA storylines going whilst making a few changes that I'd like to see. Sting isn't a heel, and the fans have so far failed to latch onto it. With the game injuring RVD on day #1 - it gave me a chance to just ignore their poorly booked recent feud.

As for Booker T/Dinero, I've got some plans in store. I think the trigger was pulled poorly by TNA, and he needs to rebuild himself. They've destroyed a lot of his credibility by having him play a constant second (or third or fourth) fiddle to Abyss and Hogan.

As for debuts - I've not made any steals yet, but you're correct. Monty Brown, James Mitchell, and a good chunk of ROH guys are on their way. There'll be a few more turns in the first few weeks as I get my roster the way I want it, but once it's settled I have some big plans.

- The Rock will debut as a major singles acquisition and I've already got a few dream feuds lined up.
- Hogan and Bischoff aren't gone, but we won't be seeing them for a while.
- There are plans for some kind of Invasion. Whether it's ROH, WWE, WCW, or something else remains to be seen.
- TNA will bring back the World X Cup.
- TNA will have its own version of NXT (although not identical) just as soon as I can secure the TV time.

As for the Gauntlet for Gold match concept. I'm not sure if it's Russo or not. They've done a few in TNA history.

Big Pete

Referee
It's an interesting read Mis but one of those it's too good to be true fics.

Anyways, I just hope you have fun with it aye. Write as many editions as possible and don't feel pressured into writing a show that others want to see. It's fiction for a reason after all.

As we know all too well as wrestling fans, this rediculous form of entertainment has a habit of luring you back in, just when you thought you'd left it behind for good.

For me, it was the re-watching of the 1994 Royal Rumble, and the possibilities it opened up thanks to the finish, which saw Lex Lugar and Bret Hart tie. The Wrestlemania which followed was excellent aswell, with the Owen Hart/Bret Hart encounter and the first ladder match between Razor Ramon and Shawn Michaels. Randy Savage and Crush concluded their fued with a falls count anywhere match, however, much of the other storylines and fueds which were going on at the time were very lackluster, including the WWF title scene.

Though Owen Hart was recieving a steady push, and the 123 Kid had begun to make his name, the tag team division was falling flat and the undercard lacked realism, seriousness and interest. Characters like Adam Bomb, Bam Bam Bigelow, Tatanka and Jeff Jarrett, though showing potential, were never given the push they deserved. With the steroid scandal still luring over their heads, the WWF instead begun to place emphasis on Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, forgetting that big men were a big part of the pro wrestling scene, and outside of Yokozuna (whose popualrity by this time had begun to wane), the sole big man who was capable of doing any damage was the Undertaker, who was busy fighting both Yoko and a clone of himself.

Scratch that. Because in 1994, Kevin Nash aka Diesel broke out from Shawn Michaels' shadow and begun to rise in popularity as a singles star. His rocket push saw him secure the Intercontinental Championship and Tag Team Championships with Shawn Michaels. 1994 also saw the waning popularity of grizzled veterans like IRS and Ted Dibiase though Jerry Lawler managed to draw some serious heat with his on-again-off-again fued with Bret Hart. As part of the Hart brother storyline, the British Bulldog and Jim neidhart returned to the WWF, to a pretty good reaction, whilst Alundra Blayze and Bull Nakono suprised many with their series of matches.

After watching the "Big 5" ppvs of 1994, I couldn't help but wonder what could have been had the booking been a little more dynamic, and had they culled some of that dead weight off the tail ened of the roster. Although they were attempting to make Bret, Shawn and Taker look like the heart and soul of the company, the fact was not having any decent competition made the company appear flat, stale and weak compared to the WCW roster, which was growing in depth and popularity at the time.

What a few pickups would have done; A bit of creativity in the midcard/lower midcard; Placing emphasis elsewhere on the bill and building new stars to take over the reigns once WCW begun to hit its straps as a business power.

I'm thinking I'm going to tackle a diary (hopefully I can keep it up) from this era, keep it realistic for the time period, introduce some fresh faces and hopefully have some fun booking a year which really could have been a breakout period for the post-roid WWF. I'll also keep it realistic in terms of hirings and firings. During this period, there is no way we'd see Hogan back so early after his testifying during the steroid scandal; the Warrior had major heat; Flair had just left; Mr. perfect was still injured etc. I'll try keep it realistic in terms of the ECW guys as well: we wouldn't see the Pittbulls, Chris Benoit, the Eliminators and the Thrillseakers during this era - it just wouldn't match what the WWF was doing at this time.

What do you guys think? I'll be starting on the first Raw after the Royal Rumble, with Wrestlemania 10 being my first major show. Who would you like to get that Jesus push that never did? Who would you like to see culled from the roster? Which potential matches did you salivate over during this period (or looking back on it with the knowledge you have now)? Who is the one guy who could have taken the Undertaker to that next level?

Let me know ASAP, I'm looking forward to getting this under way!

Big Pete

Referee
Funny you should mention pro wrestling in 94 as I've actually been watching a lot of WCW from that time period (well at least pre Hogan) and really enjoyed the feel of it and all the potential possibilities. Haven't seen a lot of WWF 94 just yet but what I have seen I've enjoyed and with enough polishing and hindsight to operate differently I believe you could write a really enjoyable show that I for one will definitely be checking into and giving thoughts on.

Who would you like to get that Jesus push that never did? Who would you like to see culled from the roster? Which potential matches did you salivate over during this period (or looking back on it with the knowledge you have now)? Who is the one guy who could have taken the Undertaker to that next level?

I'd like to see The Steiner Brothers used more, Luger, Jannetty, Taker, Bam Bam, Bulldog and Ramon used more effectively. Don't want to see Bastion Booger, Bob Backlund and Brian Lee (fake Taker).

But yeah, I'd have to watch more from that era to give you a more educated opinion, at this stage I'll definitely be keen to check it out. Furthermore, to ensure there's more activity happening on this board I'll start my own fantasy fed this time with the WWE and what I'd do leading up to Mania. It'll be a realistic fed too utilising all the guys I have on the roster to their best potential.

I actually think Backland was used VERY well during 1994. The submission match with Bret Hart was booked to perfection, largely due to Owen's antics at ringside (the finish was excellent).

WCW in 1994, before Hogan, was very good. There are about five guys I'd like to bring in from this era, and if you go and look at the results of the pre-Hogan PPVs, you can probably guess who they are, based on the roster at the time.

Big Pete

Referee
I actually think Backland was used VERY well during 1994. The submission match with Bret Hart was booked to perfection, largely due to Owen's antics at ringside (the finish was excellent).

Don't get me wrong, his work was fine but I just don't like the way he was used and the ramifications his presence had on the "New Generation".

There were way worse guys I failed to mention in my original post (Earthquake) than Backlund. I just mentioned Backlund because he was by far the most prolific of all the old timers.

I've just set the EWR game up to run the diary through, I hope to get the first shows up next week. Already made a couple of pretty good pickups.

As we know all too well as wrestling fans, this rediculous form of entertainment has a habit of luring you back in, just when you thought you'd left it behind for good.

For me, it was the re-watching of the 1994 Royal Rumble, and the possibilities it opened up thanks to the finish, which saw Lex Lugar and Bret Hart tie. The Wrestlemania which followed was excellent aswell, with the Owen Hart/Bret Hart encounter and the first ladder match between Razor Ramon and Shawn Michaels. Randy Savage and Crush concluded their fued with a falls count anywhere match, however, much of the other storylines and fueds which were going on at the time were very lackluster, including the WWF title scene.

Though Owen Hart was recieving a steady push, and the 123 Kid had begun to make his name, the tag team division was falling flat and the undercard lacked realism, seriousness and interest. Characters like Adam Bomb, Bam Bam Bigelow, Tatanka and Jeff Jarrett, though showing potential, were never given the push they deserved. With the steroid scandal still luring over their heads, the WWF instead begun to place emphasis on Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, forgetting that big men were a big part of the pro wrestling scene, and outside of Yokozuna (whose popualrity by this time had begun to wane), the sole big man who was capable of doing any damage was the Undertaker, who was busy fighting both Yoko and a clone of himself.

Scratch that. Because in 1994, Kevin Nash aka Diesel broke out from Shawn Michaels' shadow and begun to rise in popularity as a singles star. His rocket push saw him secure the Intercontinental Championship and Tag Team Championships with Shawn Michaels. 1994 also saw the waning popularity of grizzled veterans like IRS and Ted Dibiase though Jerry Lawler managed to draw some serious heat with his on-again-off-again fued with Bret Hart. As part of the Hart brother storyline, the British Bulldog and Jim neidhart returned to the WWF, to a pretty good reaction, whilst Alundra Blayze and Bull Nakono suprised many with their series of matches.

After watching the "Big 5" ppvs of 1994, I couldn't help but wonder what could have been had the booking been a little more dynamic, and had they culled some of that dead weight off the tail ened of the roster. Although they were attempting to make Bret, Shawn and Taker look like the heart and soul of the company, the fact was not having any decent competition made the company appear flat, stale and weak compared to the WCW roster, which was growing in depth and popularity at the time.

What a few pickups would have done; A bit of creativity in the midcard/lower midcard; Placing emphasis elsewhere on the bill and building new stars to take over the reigns once WCW begun to hit its straps as a business power.

I'm thinking I'm going to tackle a diary (hopefully I can keep it up) from this era, keep it realistic for the time period, introduce some fresh faces and hopefully have some fun booking a year which really could have been a breakout period for the post-roid WWF. I'll also keep it realistic in terms of hirings and firings. During this period, there is no way we'd see Hogan back so early after his testifying during the steroid scandal; the Warrior had major heat; Flair had just left; Mr. perfect was still injured etc. I'll try keep it realistic in terms of the ECW guys as well: we wouldn't see the Pittbulls, Chris Benoit, the Eliminators and the Thrillseakers during this era - it just wouldn't match what the WWF was doing at this time.

What do you guys think? I'll be starting on the first Raw after the Royal Rumble, with Wrestlemania 10 being my first major show. Who would you like to get that Jesus push that never did? Who would you like to see culled from the roster? Which potential matches did you salivate over during this period (or looking back on it with the knowledge you have now)? Who is the one guy who could have taken the Undertaker to that next level?

Let me know ASAP, I'm looking forward to getting this under way!

Razor Ramon and Owen Hart!!!

Hi guys, had some computer trouble and had to redownload EWR and the scenario, but have set it all up again and am looking forward to getting into it!

Cheers for the feedback @BigPete, good to see you enjoyd it.

Haha, yeah I went all 'attitude era' with that Candido segment, I actually drew inspiration with what they were going to do with Dustin Rhodes before the network put a stop to it.

What did you think of the Flair/Sting/Douglas/Awesome segment? That is going to be a focal point of this diary.

I also thought the Mamalukes winning the shot was a stroke of Russo, which worked at times you know?

Be ready for crash booking, but crash booking with a sprinkling of direction. I have booked a month in, so will write the shows when I get the chance, perhaps this weekend.

Who are the guys from this era you're looking forward to reading about? Any workers you'd like to see thrown into the mix?

Big Pete

Referee
Just noticed your post right now.

I didn't mind that segment at all although I'm not a fan of Douglas and his promos. Not bad though and I like Awesome being involved. I always thought he should have been bigger than what he was in WCW.

And honestly, I'd have to look at a roster to really comment. I wouldn't mind seeing the younger guys (Jindrak, O'Haire, Air Styles etc.) being used and taking WCW forward as well as some more international stars just to bring back that international flavour that I thought gave WCW the edge during the Monday Night Wars.

Of course I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Indy talents, particular those from Shawn Michaels' school getting involved because from memory some of them were popping up just as WCW was closing.

And honestly I look forward to some crash booking. I'm looking forward to something that breaks the mould from a typical E-Fed and feels authentic, with some risks and curve balls thrown in that ultimately can be tied down and made into a coherant storyline.

Anyways man, best of luck and I'm looking forward to your next show.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's quiet in here. A little too quiet.

Watch this space. I might start putting something up in the next few days. For those who don't know, you can download EWR for free at ewbattleground.com (requires registration) and get the latest (up to the month) real world data there as well.

Be warned though, very addictive.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Rereading the old LU WWE thread made me nostalgic. I miss the likes of thuga and raider69 on here :-(

But I've reinstalled TEW 2005, have the latest real world data, and have begun work on rebuilding the WWE in a glorious new way. Bring on the new talent, an invasion angle, and a return to the days when wrestling wasn't so predictable.

I've been playing a little bit of EWR in my downtime at work, running an ROH-style indy fed in 1993, featuring a who's who of 90s midcard talent. Current champion is Rob Van Dam, who took the title from Dean Malenko who took the title from Ultimo Dragon. My TV champ is "The Rock" Rocky Maivia and my tag champs are Rey Misterio Jr. and Psicosis, who took the belts from Lance Storm and Chris Jericho. We just went cult (or regional, whatever the one below national is) and signed Jushin Thunder Liger from WCW. PPVs have just started too.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If I could find suitably detailed Attitude Era data, I'd love to have a run at either killing the WWE or.running an indy fed. How big is the talent pool in your data?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah, that's my one big reluctance. I like how TEW allows you to set up workers to 'appear' in game in the future. It means you could feasibly make a 1995 data pack but have the John Cenas, CM Punks, and Austin Aries appear in the game world eventually.

Not sure anybody has done it though :-(

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just got my copy of TEW 2010 (bought it back in 2010 but never played it) re-registered and ready to go. Installing data and looking to return the WWE to its glory days, baby!

Thanks for the link DB. I shall have a poke around :)

Latest posts