What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pride thread šŸŒˆ

emjaycee

Coach
Well I guess if they donā€™t believe in a society that is tolerant where people are free to live and not be judged for their race, colour creed or sexual orientation, it makes them bigots by definition.
A mate of mine is married and sleeps with his wife's sister. I don't agree with him doing that. Am I a bigot?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Haven't they been asked to publicly (sp) show that they support something they don't?
If they donā€™t at least support tolerance (they donā€™t have to agree with anyoneā€™s lifestyle) then youā€™d have to wonder if theyā€™re a good investment in your club as they are actively ostracising a portion of your fan base.

emjaycee

Coach
If they donā€™t at least support tolerance (they donā€™t have to agree with anyoneā€™s lifestyle) then youā€™d have to wonder if theyā€™re a good investment in your club as they are actively ostracising a portion of your fan base.
Only ostracising the fans when the club makes the support public.
I would think we have one or two pacifika players (at least) who probably have the same background and views as the Manly 7 and yet because we havent put the issue into the public domain in such a way, our players remain 'hidden' and so no one calls them bigots.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Only ostracising the fans when the club makes the support public.
I would think we have one or two pacifika players (at least) who probably have the same background and views as the Manly 7 and yet because we havent put the issue into the public domain in such a way, our players remain 'hidden' and so no one calls them bigots.
Just my opinion but I donā€™t think hiding it makes it ok.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Serious questionā€¦Would everyone be fine if 7 of our first grade side came from the Pauline Hanson side of politics and decided to pull out of indigenous round because they didnā€™t want to wear the jersey and celebrate Aboriginal culture?

I reckon they would be called racist and Iā€™d certainly be one of those that felt they were.
Absolutely not.

emjaycee

Coach
No, you tolerate it. Thereā€™s a difference between agreeing and tolerating. Iā€™d go as far as to say you ā€œacceptā€ it as heā€™s still your mate.
And the Manly 7 tolerate it too, unless they are asked to play with an openly gay man in their team and decide not too.

Happy MEel

First Grade
That's exactly my point.
With the amount of pacifika players who have similar backgrounds, why is the focus on these 7 only?
Because Manly are the first club with balls to do it. Looks Like the Roosters are keen to follow suit next year so weā€™ll have to wait and see what happens. Who knows, maybe the NRL with have a tolerance or acceptance round.

Itā€™s an interesting question though. There were a number of current players that came out saying theyā€™d have no problem wearing a rainbow jersey. Im surprised the Christian cohort with these views didnā€™t come out to support the 7.

emjaycee

Coach
Because Manly are the first club with balls to do it. Looks Like the Roosters are keen to follow suit next year so weā€™ll have to wait and see what happens. Who knows, maybe the NRL with have a tolerance or acceptance round.

Itā€™s an interesting question though. There were a number of current players that came out saying theyā€™d have no problem wearing a rainbow jersey. Im surprised the Christian cohort with these views didnā€™t come out to support the 7.
Based on how these 7 have been treated in the media, I'm not suprised others haven't come out in support of them, but I can guarantee there are others with the same views.

Happy MEel

First Grade
@emjaycee im also genuinely interested to hear your answer to my question about indigenous round below.

Serious questionā€¦Would everyone be fine if 7 of our first grade players came from the Pauline Hanson side of politics and decided to pull out of indigenous round because they didnā€™t want to wear the jersey and celebrate Aboriginal culture?

I reckon they would be called racist and Iā€™d certainly be one of those that felt they were.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Based on how these 7 have been treated in the media, I'm not suprised others haven't come out in support of them, but I can guarantee there are others with the same views.
I reckon there have been plenty of commentators and punters supporting their decision (whilst not necessarily agreeing with it). Itā€™s certainly not a one-sided affair. I absolutely concur that others have the same view.

strider

Post Whore
No, you tolerate it. Thereā€™s a difference between agreeing and tolerating. Iā€™d go as far as to say you ā€œacceptā€ it as heā€™s still your mate.
Thats not the right comparison at all ... thise players never actively made any effort to not "tolerate" anything .... they were made to show support for something they disagree with .... the right comparison would be emjaycee having to weat a tshirt saying, f**king your sister in law is great

Latest posts