What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pride thread šŸŒˆ

emjaycee

Coach
The SSM vote allowed everyone to have their say on what they accept/tolerate or not.
And it was done in the privacy of the ballot box so no one was forced to publically state their preferences (and defend themselves against attacks on that preference).
By bringing the issue into the public arena as has been done by the Manly jersey issue, the Manly players were asked to publically state their views on something that had previously been their own private choice.
38% of respondents in Australia (a mere 4.8M people) said NO and are therefore no different to the Manly 7.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Indigenous identity isn't centred on sexual acts that have, for thousands of years, been considered taboo in many cultures.
ā€¦and so because it may have been that way for thousands of years it should just keep being that way? Regardless of whether or not it has historically been taboo, thatā€™s no reason to accept intolerance now. You only have to go back a few decades to see how our indigenous community were treated. Good thing attitudes change eh?

I also think the ā€œhighly sexualisedā€ connotation of homosexuality is changing as it is coming into the mainstream.

emjaycee

Coach
Jesus wasnā€™t a Christian he was a Jew. What makes you think he was about tolerance and acceptance?
From all accounts he was obviously a bit of a 'rebel Jew'. Aren't the Jewish High Priests the ones that wanted him killed because he was teaching a way of tolerance and acceptance and therefore changing their doctrine?

lucablight

First Grade
Jesus wants you to rot in hell if you dont kiss his dads arse ... he isnt very tolerant
Funnily enough I donā€™t think the historical Jesus believed in hell. He was a Jew and they have no concept of hell. Itā€™s very much a Greco Roman invention.

strider

Post Whore
Are you serious with that 1st paragraph? There are PLENTY of people that have an issue with supporting indigenous people. I think itā€™s a perfect analogy.

I hear what youā€™re saying with the 2nd paragraph though. The thing is with that example though, is that it is an intolerant attitude weā€™d be promoting. The catch 22 is that the boycotting players would not tolerate the intolerant attitude. What a pickle
Im sure there are f**kwits in the world who just flat out hate indigenous people but thats not relevant here and 8ts not a good comparison ..... Pou summised it better than me above

lucablight

First Grade
From all accounts he was obviously a bit of a 'rebel Jew'. Aren't the Jewish High Priests the ones that wanted him killed because he was teaching a way of tolerance and acceptance and therefore changing their doctrine?
The Romans didnā€™t care what religion you preached as long as you paid your taxes and recognised them as the rulers. I would say Jesus was telling people he was the King of the Jews which the Romans didnā€™t take kindly to as they saw themselves as the rulers of the state so they crucified him for political insurrection.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because maybe "authentic" Christianity (in the as-Jesus-lived-his-life style) is about tolerance and acceptance, not being divisive or supporting homophobes.
This is about culture as much as Christianity, and most traditional cultures aren't big on sexual freedom and identity. It's what allowed religions like Islam and Christianity to spread across cultures and dominate the globe. Here I mean the political/cultural version of Christianity (Judaism 2.0) rather than the personal philosophy that Jesus apparently tried to promote.

Happy MEel

First Grade
And who says these 7 footballers dont have that attitude when confronted in one on one situations that call for tolerance? Is there any instances of them not displaying tolerance toward those, apart from not wanting to publically support them?
Well we can only go off the evidence we have and if your employer chooses to promote tolerance (not even specifically supporting or agreeing with the the gay community and their lifestyle) and you actively decide not to partake then that speaks volumes as far as Iā€™m concerned.

emjaycee

Coach
The Romans didnā€™t care what religion you preached as long as you paid your taxes and recognised them as the rulers. I would say Jesus was telling people he was the King of the Jews which the Romans didnā€™t take kindly to as they saw themselves as the rulers of the state so they crucified him for political insurrection.
Caiaphas was the instigator behind the crucification. The Romans just did the deed.

strider

Post Whore
Dunno if jesus even told people that ... they were scared that other people saw him as that

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are you serious with that 1st paragraph? There are PLENTY of people that have an issue with supporting indigenous people. I think itā€™s a perfect analogy.

I hear what youā€™re saying with the 2nd paragraph though. The thing is with that example though, is that it is an intolerant attitude weā€™d be promoting. The catch 22 is that the boycotting players would not tolerate the intolerant attitude. What a pickle
Are you intolerant if you won't promote something? Surely the idea that something is tolerated means it isn't accepted as being right. I tolerate people I don't like. I don't 'tolerate' my friends and family. I love them and talk them up when I can.

lucablight

First Grade
Caiaphas was the instigator behind the crucification. The Romans just did the deed.
Thatā€™s the account in the gospels (which are coincidentally enough written in Greek (the language of the Romans not the Jews). In reality, the Romans didnā€™t care about Jews offending the religious sensitivities of other Jews. They did care if someone was going around telling people he was the King while they were in charge though and would have made a very public example of him to stop others from trying the same thing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They killed him because the Jewish leaders asked them to. 'King of the Jews' was an insult to him and to the Jewish leaders.

Happy MEel

First Grade
For some, yes. Why not? It's their choice. The law determines how they should be able to express that choice.
I donā€™t think weā€™re having the same argument. I couldnā€™t give two shits what their beliefs are. They are entitled to them, no matter how much I disagree with them. One might say I tolerate them. Weā€™re talking about an employer mandated uniform that highlights everyone is welcome at their club, that an employee is required to wear in order to undertake the duties of their employment.

Last edited:

Latest posts